Old 12-17-2013, 10:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default '63 Cat and GP grille surrounds different

Just an FYI. I had purchased a pair of grilles from a person here (thank You Bob). I have a '63 Catalina and I wanted to swap the Catalina grilles for the GP grilles. No one seemed to know if the front nose/grille surrounds (for want of the proper name) were different. It appears the grille surrounds are different. The opening must be slightly wider (top to bottom) and possibly formed a little bit squarer on the inside (nearer the nose) of the openings on the GP versus the Catalina. I will have to look to find a GP nose/grille surround to be able to use the grilles. I hate to cut up the Catalina grille surround in case anyone would need a nice one.
I thought I would pass this info on to everyone for any future reference.

Mark L

Old 12-17-2013, 11:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For '62 there is a considerable weight savings running GP grilles (GP nose required, for future reference!) ... the '63 GP grilles seem (correct me if I am wrong) as heavy as non-GP grilles.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Matt. I got the GP grilles with out the backing. So I'm not sure of the weight difference. But the grilles without the backing is lighter than a Catalina grille. The Catalina grille has several cross bars and they are all heavy cast (pot metal) bars. It's possible the GPs with the rear backing could be as heavy???

Mark L