Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 12-23-2013, 03:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Anyone have an old lazer Cam catalog?

I posted this in the street section a couple days ago without any leads. So I figure maybe the race section might turn up someone with an old Lazer Cam catalog. I found an archived Lazer Cams website, but there wasn't anything listed that was close to this cam.

On the back of the cam is stamped DM and nothing else.

On the face of the front cam journal is stamped "LC 14719 294B 295B 04".

Since Ken Brewer sold Lazer cams way back when, I emailed him. He replied that while he didn't have a catalog, the LC is for a Lazer Cam, 14719 is the cam number, the 294B and the 295B are lobe profiles, and the 04 indicates that the ICL should be at 104°. I stuck it in a short block and measured it out at .363/.367 lift, and roughly 258°/262° duration @ .050". The seller of the Firebird had said it was a solid cam, but we found hydraulic lifters on the teardown. Pretty hefty for a HFT, and my main question is the cam correct with the hydraulic lifters, or did the seller accidentally stick them in at some point. I figure the listing in the catalog would be the easiest way to answer the question.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My catalog does not list a 294B lobe. it does show a 294A that has 256 dur. @ .050 and .363 LL. There is a 295B that has 261 .050 duration and .368 LL. They are both SFT lobes and .026 is listed as the lash. The 04 would be the LSA. Bill(founder of Lazer) liked tight lobe centers and he would usually not grind any advance into the cam unless it was requested by the customer.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Paul, thank you for taking the time to look up the cam. The 294A makes sense. I had originally thought that it said 2944, but Ken suggested that it might be 294B. The A is actually closer to the smeared mark I was trying to read. The Lazer was a great performing cam, but my son has decided it's time to step things up a little and go with a roller.

Just one more question, does the catalog list the ICL and the ECL for the cam?

Old 12-23-2013, 06:48 PM
Senior Chief

Bullet cams has most if not all of Lazer's old grinds and paperwork.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mick, you are welcome. The catalog does not list the lobe centerlines. It only shows the lobe profiles.
Bullet cams bought most of their remaining stock and machining equipment from the Lazer workshop after Bill passed away.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

10-12 years ago I bought a set of lifters at a garage sale for cheap. I thought looked like hydraulics but inside was a hollow spacer instead of piston and spring, so they were solids. They were new in a Comp cams box and part number was 813-16 which was correct for a Pontiac Olds OR Chevy at the time. I never used them...think I still have them.