THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Exclamation How Windows XP end of life will affect your desktop applications

Quote:
As Windows XP comes to the end of its life, applications in enterprise desktop and virtualization environments everywhere will feel the effects.

Luckily, there are a couple things you can do if your applications depend on XP: You can use a very old Windows Server platform or jump on the virtualization bandwagon.

I've called April 9, 2014, the real red-letter day in the history of Windows XP. On that day, any zero-day exploit released into the wild will run rampant on Windows XP systems while Microsoft watches and says "I told you so." When companies beg for a fix, Microsoft will hold one document in each hand: the lifecycle information for Windows XP with a Post-it note that says "You had four years to move to Windows 7," and a contract for custom support.

http://Microsoft isn't the only comp... Probably not.
http://<br /> /opinion/How-Windows-X...p-applications
It's unreal to me what will happen when April 1st hit's and 400+ million yes million computers still running this 12 yr. old unsupported OS.BTW lots of Banks and small business's still run this.
Hang on and watch the fun people.

Last edited by KS circutguy; 01-05-2014 at 04:49 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to KS circutguy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2014, 05:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

XP was a great OS, in the beginning Windows2000 was better, but by the time XP SP3 came around it was a super stable, very efficient OS. I've still got it running on one thing, a four year old "netbook" ...yep, four years ago you could still order a computer with XP on it. Why? Cause it's the only windows OS efficient enough to run on small, low muscle laptops and netbooks.

I'll miss it when it's gone. I noticed today that Windows Update for XP has stopped working ....hopefully they will get that fixed before the EOL date so I can get the last updates downloaded.

I'll be running Win7 on the rest of my machines for a decade ...cause Vista sucked, and Windows 8 sucks .... Win7 is the new XP.
JohnnyB

The Following User Says Thank You to dataway For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2014, 06:06 AM
Suspended

Wink

Still running the OEM XP-Pro on two Dell Systems as I spec'd them back in '06 and they've run with little to no OS issues, especially after SP3...for the same reasons data mentions.

Have a HP Mini w XP used primarily for this Vag-Com diagnostic software http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/index.html

This reply from iPad.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:23 AM
Senior Chief

I'm no computer genius and still have a desktop that uses "Vista". Will this change have any impact on my computer?

Old 01-05-2014, 10:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969GiPper View Post
I'm no computer genius and still have a desktop that uses "Vista". Will this change have any impact on my computer?
No... impacts XP only. Because of all the problems with Vista I stayed with XP.... like so many otrhers. At least with Vista you can easily upgrade to 7 or 8.

Time is now to decide on Windows 7 or 8. I hear 8 is better than 7 as installing software is much easier. You don't have to make sure the Administator is logged in to do the installs like you do on 7. Plus I hear 8 is better for gaming than 7.

Rumor a while back was that MS was working on building Windows 9, but I haven't heard any more on it.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I pulled an old laptop out of storage and it is still running just fine on XP. Sad tosee it i go.

69 OHC ZH Sprint Hurst 3 Speed 3:55 (1 of 213)
99 Valkyrie 1520cc Flat 6 108hp/110tq - For Sale
http://sohcsix.yuku.com/forums/1/OHC-lounge
Wanted: 1969 OHC "H" Camshaft
Old 01-05-2014, 11:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sad isn't the word for it. Millions of us don't want XP to go anywhere.... especially buisnesses using it. I find it really nice that MS can tell us what we want to use.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
The Following User Says Thank You to GT182 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2014, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Have an older Gateway desktop, was given to me, still use it quite a bit, but store no files on it. Also have a 1st Gen I-pad that lacks support.

Whats out there in a used desktop that runs on a good Windows systems & has tech support?

Old 01-05-2014, 12:29 PM
Senior Chief

Oh, they're gonna do it to all of them, yep, even 7 and 8 will have an end of life.

I still have xp on three machines, we still run xp on machines at work.

Oh well I guess. I'm just gonna try to keep it as an isolated system for fuel injection and CNC unless some money magically comes my way.

It's the problem with computers I suppose. Hate to buy a new one, as its gonna become outdated pretty fast as well.

I was in a computer class about a year ago. They had this formula for processing power growth and an expected ceiling.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:46 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Sad isn't the word for it. Millions of us don't want XP to go anywhere.... especially buisnesses using it. I find it really nice that MS can tell us what we want to use.
Precicisly the reason NOT to have your home - any everything else - connected and controlled by an Operating System with the is designed built-in obsolescence as you see blanket advertised for everything in your life: Home Security, Lighting, HVAC, "Smart Appliances", Garage Door Openers, et al that XFin, etc. are all advertising to do now. Not to mention the hacking and data mining extravaganza potentials...

Built-in scraping of perfectly working household hardware due to "system support ending" seems counter to the whole "green" using less materials, energy, etc.

This applies to all MS, Apple iOS, etc. OP systems IMO...as pointed out in this very thread.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Got disgusted with SW upgrades in the late-80's to 1991. sure;Capabilities are BETTER now.

But, my vacuum tube equipment remains more reliable than ANY computered SW system only because of Operating System churn.

My old saying "stop messing with my toolbox!"

Old 01-05-2014, 04:26 PM
Senior Chief

I own an engineering company and gradually switched over 35 systems from XP to Windows 7 without any trouble at all. I replaced many old computers with new ones and upgraded a few that were new enough to effectively run Win 7. In my opinion, Windows 7 is a nice improvement over XP. XP was great, and cut my support time in half over Windows 98. Windows 7 has virtually eliminated the time I need to spend supporting PCs. It just works.

If you are smart you will get Windows 7 while you can, Microsoft hasn't announced the date for the end of being able to buy a PC with Win 7 preinstalled, but sales of retail copies ended this past October (you can still buy OEM copies until the yet-to-be-announced end of OEM/preinstalled sales date).

Old 01-05-2014, 04:53 PM

I am down to just 1 computer running XP. It runs software that runs a control box that drives my CNC router table. It's not connected to the Internet or even my local network, so maybe it'll be okay, but I don't really know. Last time I checked, they were working on a Windows 7 stable version of the control software... I better check again.

It wouldn't surprise me though if Microsoft gets so much backlash that they continue to support it.

Chris

Old 01-05-2014, 06:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ok I can't get any of the links to open and I don't speak geek, is it just no longer going to be supported or is there some reason why it is going to stop working? Don't care which os I use but my powerjection software only runs on xp.
I have it installed on an old tough book that I only use for the car.
Tnx
Steve

236 244@ .050 108 LSA .511 lift, duration 289,297 @.oo6
Edelbrock Aluminum 87cc round port heads Larger valves ,ported polished and cut
Powerjection3,T2 manifold, Try-y’s
Flowcooler water pump.
71 formula with TKO600,hydraulic clutch 3.42 posi and 26 inch tire.
17x9 YO Honeycombs with Nitto 555's
Old 01-05-2014, 06:14 PM

Get used to the planned obsolescence of anything using technology to operate. It is being put in all the newer cars, and most of them will become obsolete in only a few years after purchase. You will no longer be able to purchase a car and hope to keep it for 10 years, as most of its electronics will not be supported. And since most of todays auto electronics are vin number specific, you will not be able to go to a salvage yard for an electronic used part. Welcome to our new world.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Isn't the "Age of Obsolescence" great?

I don't think so.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 01-05-2014, 07:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Guy's it's a 12 year old OS.
It's old slow insecure compared to Windows 7.
BTW; Windows 7 actually uses less system resources than XP did.
It scales very well, meaning it knows the CPU - memory - video of the system it's being installed on.
It's cheap at $76.98, get the OEM full versions, not upgrade versions.Get 64 bit for systems with more than 3 gig of memory, 32 bit for less than 3 gig memory.
You'll be glad you did! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Wi...-/111251223634
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116986
Also Windows 7 is still the preferred OS of geeks and gamers.
Of course there's always Ubuntu still free as always.
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

Last edited by KS circutguy; 01-05-2014 at 07:56 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to KS circutguy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2014, 09:22 PM
Suspended

Wink

Think XP OS is old? You outta see the Operating Systems used on my 1960s & 70s Pontiac Hardware!!!

Old 01-06-2014, 01:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

CircutGuy ...so you are saying that Win7 is going to run on my netbook using fewer resources than XP? Or that Win7 is going to run on my 7 year old lap top better than XP?

I'd find that surprising. I know that it can be machine specific, and that Win7 probably goes a lot farther to recognize the special needs of a laptop, but it would still surprise me. I might have to try it on the lap top.

I'd have serious doubts about Win7 on the newbook and it's atom processor ...although again it's possible that Win7 or even Win8 would know how to handle the Atom better than XP, which was written long before the atom existed.

Am I correct in assuming that Win7-8 "scale" themselves better to whatever machine they are installed on when compared to XP?
JohnnyB

Old 01-06-2014, 01:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Windows 7

I use it work, but at home I still use the friendly XP Pro, or something.

Is the Windows 7 OS system something I can install on an XP equiped machine. Like Win95 was an upgrade from Windows 3.11?

I guess I need to know if I need a new desktop. I've been making these old XP machines work, I don't need it for a bunch of high tech stuff. Mostly internet browsing and email and my turboTax programs. Currently using a hand me down Dell unit.

Thanks in advance,
Geg