Old 01-13-2014, 05:07 PM

Default 1967 Le Mans Speedometer needle removal

I am going to replace the "face plate" of my speedometer gauge on my 67 Le Mans with one I picked up out of a junk yard and I was wondering how hard is it going to be to take off the needle from the speedo gauge? My gauge the numbers were faded out real bad, and there was rust on it also, I was able to break the screws loose after letting them soak with PB Blaster, that was the part I worried about. But I have not touched the needle, as I did not want to break it. I assume it is pushed on? and possibly there is a flat on the shaft to "clock" it back if the right position, or you just push it on, at the zero?
Any suggestions, or help from some one who has had one off would be welcome. Thanks guys
Rusty in NC

Old 01-13-2014, 05:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hold the shaft with long nose pliers and twist & pull gently with your fingers on the hub of the needle. Same procedure for replacement, but may require repositioning a time or two to get it right. Be VERY careful with that shaft!

Old 01-13-2014, 05:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A while back i was going to set my odometer back to 0 but i needed to remove the pointer to do it. That bugger was on ther pretty well. I diidn`t want to mess it up so i gave up.

George

Old 01-13-2014, 05:42 PM

Thank you for the reply Old Goat 67. I will give that a try the next time I get to my shop to work on the car. I appreciate the reply!

Old 01-13-2014, 06:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Remove it counter clockwise, on clockwise.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You could also contact Pete Serio and have it rebuilt ,relubed and recalibrated and not have to worry about breaking the needle...ask me how I know..

Old 01-14-2014, 09:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB VIDAN View Post
Remove it counter clockwise, on clockwise.
X2 they spin off and on..

Old 01-21-2014, 02:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Speedometer Pointer Removal

Be VERY, very careful. If this is the first time you are trying to do this there is roughly a 50-50 chance your going to break something. If you twist off the pointer and the shaft end (which is about 3/32" of metal) breaks off in the back of the pointer, flush; the parts to fix what you just broke can ONLY come from another good used speedometer.

A pointer for a 1960s GM car speedometer is no longer available as a service part (has not been for over 30 years).

Many old speedometers are damaged beyond repair by people messing around with them if you don't have the proper tools or training.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2_Speedometer_Instructions.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	350348  

Old 01-21-2014, 05:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If you break it I have a speedo cheap..never had an issue taking them off just don't overtighten it

Old 01-24-2014, 11:27 AM

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I have not yet attempted to try to make the switch yet, it has just been way too cold out in the shop to do any work, and I have been busy around the house doing other things. As always, I appreciate the amount of knowledge that is freely shared here in the forum. Thank you all!
Rusty in NC

Old 01-25-2014, 06:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966geeto View Post
If you break it I have a speedo cheap..never had an issue taking them off just don't overtighten it
Are the 66 and 67 the same? The previous owner of my car had the speedo calibrated and the idiot who did it, didnt put the needle back in.