Old 02-19-2014, 11:02 AM

Default Help 65 GTO garage fire

I purchased a burnt 65 GTO to restore but in the 64-65 TEMPEST,LEMANS,GTO are the post car body's the same? From everything I've read I can take a post body from a 64-65 and it will work. If any expert has done a build similar please lend me your help! The car came black with a black vinyl top and white seats! I have to bring this beauty back to life. Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 02-19-2014, 11:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Tempest and Lemans share the body shell with the GTO. The Tempest has more holes to fill in and the wrong tail panel. You are better off with a Lemans. Also, be advised that VIN tag swapping is a felony in all states, and a Federal crime. Your only legal way to 're-body' the car is to cut out the burnt car's doorpost and weld it into the new body. Even that is suspect. Tread carefully, and check the laws. I gather you bought the car for its VIN plate?

Old 02-22-2014, 01:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't forget the VIN number is also on the frame. Would you want to pay for a GTO and get a re-badged LeMans? If you sell it sell it for what it is.

Old 02-22-2014, 04:41 AM
Suspended

Default VIN TAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
The Tempest and Lemans share the body shell with the GTO. The Tempest has more holes to fill in and the wrong tail panel. You are better off with a Lemans. Also, be advised that VIN tag swapping is a felony in all states, and a Federal crime. Your only legal way to 're-body' the car is to cut out the burnt car's doorpost and weld it into the new body. Even that is suspect. Tread carefully, and check the laws. I gather you bought the car for its VIN plate?
And HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERE we go

Old 02-22-2014, 08:25 AM
Boost Engineer

I have a 66 convertible "Georgia" frame under my 64 and am not worried about the VIN # police. I have receipts for the work done.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's one thing to replace the frame on a real GTO and sell it as a GTO but it's not right to swap VIN on a Tempest/LeMans and pass it off as a real GTO. Say what you want. I wouldn't want it to happen to me.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to 3 Deuce 64

Your only legal way to 're-body' the car is to cut out the burnt car's doorpost and weld it into the new body.

Disagree . What about this http://www.dynacornbodies.com/body-shells/camaro.php or this http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techar...shells_review/

or this http://www.justsheetmetal.com/classic_body_FB69.asp you mean to tell me the tags off the original bodies don't get swapped to these . If you have the real car to begin with and all the original parts, where's the difference ? That's all I'm going to say .

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but
they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a
status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them,
which would include their own government." — George Washington

Last edited by 3 Deuce 64; 02-22-2014 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Deuce 64 View Post
I was checking out that site, and clicked on the link that they put on their page about one of their builds.

Quote: "The Dynacorn body had a few small issues with the doors matching up to the fenders, but were cut to fit. We were concerned about how tight the hinges were on the doors. They don't act like they are going to be free moving even with lubrication. What do you think? We discussed taking the old hinges off and repairing them and reinstalling on new body."

Ha - that fills me with confidence! Just think - they linked to that page because it's the best one they found. (Think about what others are saying.)

Old 02-23-2014, 11:19 AM

Default just to be clear

Just to be clear on the matter. This car isn't being done to sale to anyone. The owner had this car new;after it burned. The original owner is buying the car back after I restore it . He is a 65 year old GTO finatic like us .who just wants his 1965 black Betty post car again. I was asking for expert advise from builders who has had to cut the ROOF of a POST car. I need to know what is the difference in the shells before I purchase the wrong body to cut$$$$$. So forget all the VIN# mumbo jumbo this is not the case. Someone please tell me are the dimensions of a 64-65 GTO,Tempest,LeMans roof the same on a post? Then I can measure and cut it. Imagine if your GTO was restored and the top destroyed. Would you care if the roof was from another car,and not the original GTO? NO I didnt think so.
Thanks

Old 02-23-2014, 12:10 PM
Senior Chief

I have never actually measured the roofs...but I can say this. I have taken coupe doors added the posts from a post car and put them on post car. The windshields are same..coupe or post...rear glass is same..post or coupe
trim is same..post or coupe..

hope this helps...I have a coupe is I can take a measurement for you, let me know..call me if you want..409-256-2324

Bert

I want my driveway to look like I'm stuck in the 70's!!!!
Old 02-23-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreen0104 View Post
Just to be clear on the matter. This car isn't being done to sale to anyone. The owner had this car new;after it burned. The original owner is buying the car back after I restore it . He is a 65 year old GTO finatic like us .who just wants his 1965 black Betty post car again. I was asking for expert advise from builders who has had to cut the ROOF of a POST car. I need to know what is the difference in the shells before I purchase the wrong body to cut$$$$$. So forget all the VIN# mumbo jumbo this is not the case. Someone please tell me are the dimensions of a 64-65 GTO,Tempest,LeMans roof the same on a post? Then I can measure and cut it. Imagine if your GTO was restored and the top destroyed. Would you care if the roof was from another car,and not the original GTO? NO I didnt think so.
Thanks
All the same, there's absolutely no difference in roof dimensions between these three different trim levels. The 2-door post body is dimensionally the same on all 3 cars, the roof will swap.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Where are you located? I have a 65 post roof sitting here taking up space but I can't bring myself to scrap it.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm a convertible guy and no body repair expertise, but one thing that MIGHT be standard on the Lemans (including GTO) but optional on the Tempest Custom and/or Tempest might be the Roof Drip Rail Moldings.

Just something to think about.

Otherwise, I can't think of any other possible difference in the roof for the '65 27 Body Style regardless of Model Series.

According to the '66 Body Parts Catalog (the PMD Service Parts), the 27 Body Style used the same Roof Panel and Bows as the 37 Body Style (the Hardtop Coupe).

The differences between the 33 (Tempest), 35 (Tempest Custom), and 37 (Lemans) Model Series were below the roof such as the tail panel differences for example.

Funny about the various opinions of State & Fed law concerning VIN swaps. Not that I would recommend that anybody challenge the laws without good legal help.

Back in the day, PMD sold service replacement door posts (called the Front Body Hinge Pillar Panel Assembly, the part that the VIN tag was riveted to) for accident repair.

Guys get pretty emotional about the practice today but who can possibly know if their own cars were subject to a VIN tag swap in its past history unless they are original owners?

The couple square inches of sheetmetal to which the VIN tag is attached is sacrosanct to many hobbyists while it is okay to replace floor pans, trunk pans, quarter panels, doors, and virtually every other square inch of Body Assembly sheetmetal plus the fenders and hood and nobody thinks anything of it.

That said, many sheetmetal parts have date coding stamped on them. For "numbers matching" purposes, sheetmetal replacement can be a problem.

I realize you are asking about replacing a roof only, so that seems okay to those that worry about VIN tag swaps.

And if the Sports Coupes (post cars) and Hardtop Coupes shared the same Roof Panel and structure in '65, looks, like your search may be a little easier.

I should point out that the sail panel section behind the rear side glass is part of the Quarter Panel and NOT same for the Sports Coupe and Hardtop Coupe.

I do not know how the Quarter Panels differ but if you are also needing that portion of sheetmetal for the roof repair, might need to stick to a Sports Coupe donor.