Old 03-02-2014, 11:35 PM

Default A/C fan switch problem

Hi guys, sorting through my electrical problems in my 70 GTO with factory a/c.
The fan switch only works at position "1" and so it was determined that the switch is faulty and I found I can source a new one at ThePartsGuy.com.

But when I took this pic from behind the dash, there are no wires plugged into any of the bayonets ... so how is it working when in "1"position?

Unfortunately I'm a layman when it comes to electronics.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't want to say all of these cars, so I'll say some, the fan is always blowing on low to keep air circulating. It is piggy backed off the connector, so it doesn't need to be connected for that portion to work. Obviously you are missing your connector that plugs into the fan switch. Must be up in the dash somewhere, dig around and try to find it.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Where is the wire with the blue end going?

TOM
Old 03-06-2014, 03:18 AM

Thanks for the replies guys.
My fault ... I had a brain malfunction. The auto lecky pulled the plug off and did a return on it so the fan was on all the time while I source a new switch.

I've just spent the most part of today pulling the whole dash apart to get that damned switch out. I searched the usual parts houses for one on the net without much luck till I finally found one at The Parts Guy for $49 so I'll order it tonight.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to 428GTO70

how did you determine the problem was in fact the switch? Usually when there are speed problems with a blower it is the resistor under the hood is bad. Also another heads up from your picture, you have a broken cable (one with red end) and it probably wont move the flapper door its hooked up to very well like that.

1970 GTO 458 CID .040 over 4 Bolt 428 Block, Forged Eagle 455 Crank, 295 CFM SD KRE D-Ports, SD Old Faithful HR Cam + Comp HR Lifters, PPR Maxx-lite rods, Racetec pistons, PRW 1.65 SS Rockers, 900CFM Holley HP TBI, Performer RPM, Hooker Super Comps, 3" X-Pipe into 2.5" mufflers/tailpipes, 2.75 1st TH400, Continental 13" Converter, 8.5" 3.08 Posi.
Everything installed, fired up and tuning has begun!
Old 03-07-2014, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428GTO70 View Post
how did you determine the problem was in fact the switch? Usually when there are speed problems with a blower it is the resistor under the hood is bad. Also another heads up from your picture, you have a broken cable (one with red end) and it probably wont move the flapper door its hooked up to very well like that.

My auto lecky determined the switch was faulty, but I'll have him check the resistor as well.
And thanks for the heads up. I noticed it myself and made a new metal clamp that goes over the broken red plastic unit and secures the cable in place.

And The Parts Guy was out of stock and put me onto Old Air Products in TX and they have a new switch for $38. I might add if anyone is looking for classic a/c parts, they have an extensive inventory.