THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:45 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Question Recommendations: Pressure washer, $3-400 price range?

I was looking at this one. I like it as it has a Honda engine. I have a Honda lawn mover and roto-tiller. Both start easily and seem to have a lot of torque (both OHV)

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Homelite-...vZbxdjZ1z0zy8v

Anybody else had a good experience in this price range? Please relate.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Old 06-02-2014, 07:02 PM

Subscribing. I have a cheapo electric, want the power of a gas powered.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've been through a couple of gas powered pressure washers. The problem with the one you are considering is the pump itself. An aluminum housing will work harden and crack, then leak severely. I found a few more dollars spent on a unit with a brass pump body will last a long time. My Northern Tool Honda powered unit is 10+ years old and going strong. It has a brass pump body. There is no better small engine than a Honda. Got a log splitter with one and a self propelled walk behind mower with one too.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:08 PM
Senior Chief

I have this 3000 psi one from Northern Tool. It's usually on sale and you can add a store coupon ($50 0f $250) to make it the same price as the Honda. As long as you winterize them, they run trouble free. I've used mine the last 3 years with no issues.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...FYcDOgodenwALw

Old 06-02-2014, 07:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Twistytee View Post
I have this 3000 psi one from Northern Tool. It's usually on sale and you can add a store coupon ($50 0f $250) to make it the same price as the Honda. As long as you winterize them, they run trouble free. I've used mine the last 3 years with no issues.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...FYcDOgodenwALw
Brass pump body too!

Old 06-02-2014, 07:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to AROWHED

What a coincidence..just got done pulling the failed "Made in the P.R.C." aluminum pump off my dad's Troy-bilt washer. Wont develop any pressure, and stalled the engine.
No obvious damage and it turns easily now, but does have gear oil showing around input shaft seal. Hope I can find a brass body replacement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140602_184734[1].jpg
Views:	37
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	365823  

Old 06-02-2014, 08:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to AROWHED

And there it is....manufactured directly to replace that Chinese piece of crap.

http://www.pressurewashersdirect.com...G28/p8187.html

Old 06-03-2014, 02:22 PM
Senior Chief

Thumbs up

OK, based on input here (especially the brass pump advice, and thanks to all) I shopped around in town and found this one. We don't have a Northern Tool, but we DO have a Tractor Supply store. Went for just over $400, Honda Powered, brass pump.

I'll assemble it later today and give it a whirl.

SimpsonŽ Mega Shot MSH31025H Gas 3100 PSI 2.5 GPM Honda GC 190 Engine Pressure Washer

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...r?cm_vc=-10005

So, how'd I do?

Old 06-03-2014, 06:15 PM
Senior Chief

You'll like that one. One tip I got from the small engine mechanic who sees a lot of these on return/service - run it with 30W pw oil and change out the oil after first 5 hours of operation. After that I change mine once a season. Run antifreeze through it in the fall and you're good for storage over the winter. The pink RV antifreeze at walmart is cheapest route but aerosol pump guard stuff is the easiest to use.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:32 PM
Senior Chief

Thumbs up

Quote:
You'll like that one. One tip I got from the small engine mechanic who sees a lot of these on return/service - run it with 30W pw oil and change out the oil after first 5 hours of operation.
Will do. Thanks.

Quote:
Run antifreeze through it in the fall and you're good for storage over the winter. The pink RV antifreeze at walmart is cheapest route but aerosol pump guard stuff is the easiest to use.
Huh? It's air-cooled. I assume you're talking about fuel stabilizer?

Old 06-03-2014, 08:09 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dillon View Post
Will do. Thanks.

Huh? It's air-cooled. I assume you're talking about fuel stabilizer?
I believe he's talking about running Anti Freeze through the system to push out any remaining water left in the pump and rest of system.
Mine has a Honda engine and Cat pump. A great combo.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:12 PM
Senior Chief

I wasn't referring to the motor. The pump uses its own pump oil (separate from the motor). It also benefits from running antifreeze through the hose hook-up when you store it for the winter.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Karcher-1...uard/202943051

Old 06-03-2014, 08:35 PM
Senior Chief

Exclamation

Quote:
I wasn't referring to the motor. The pump uses its own pump oil (separate from the motor). It also benefits from running antifreeze through the hose hook-up when you store it for the winter.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Karcher-1...uard/202943051
OK, thanks. The manual didn't mention putting oil in the pump or even maintaining it. The washer came with a pint of 30w for the crankcase.

Where's the port to add (or change) the pump oil? I hope I didn't screw this up.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Can't say about that one. My pump has a window you can see the level in. It's a good idea to change to pump oil every so often. It can get a bit of moisture in it with use. The antifreeze is a good idea if you can't drain the pump completely especially up North.

From Amazon.com Your pressure washer doesn't need oil. "Maintenance-free OEM Technologies axial cam pump with PowerBoost technology for increased performance as well as reduced vibration, noise, and heat to extend pump and engine life"

I'd fell better about being able to service the pump. The reviews seem happy with the performance...... once they got all the parts.

A little Googling show you have this brand pump: http://www.devilbissparts.com/devilb...umps/faip.html
All you need is a model number and you can find the blow up of the pump.

For great results get one of these tips: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...ct_21011_21011 It's a needle point orifice that spins rapidly enough it won't dig a hole in the surface you are washing. Great for driveways. No so much for wood.....

Last edited by Big Mike; 06-03-2014 at 09:07 PM. Reason: details
Old 06-03-2014, 08:55 PM
Senior Chief

Mine has a fill cap right on top of the pump housing. It came with a shipping plug that I removed and installed a vented fill cap. The pump oil will expand some when it gets hot, hence the purpose of the vented cap. There's a drain plug at the lower rear of the pump.

I use 30W pump oil, make sure it's the non-detergent. I then use the same small engine 30W in my gas mower for the pump motor which has its own drain and fill plugs. The sample in the box is probably the pump oil and not the motor oil.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:58 PM
Senior Chief

Interesting. Didn't know they made them now maintenance free with no replaceable pump oil.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:11 AM
Senior Chief

Thumbs up Update:

Got her up and running yesterday afternoon. VERY powerful machine next to my previous cheap Chinese POS, which was an impulse buy. Power washed the driveway next to the house and it went very well. Quite a difference from 1600 to 3100 PSI.

So, I'm satified for now. We'll see how the longevity angle goes.

Again, thanks to all.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:23 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dillon View Post
I was looking at this one. I like it as it has a Honda engine. I have a Honda lawn mover and roto-tiller. Both start easily and seem to have a lot of torque (both OHV)

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Homelite-...vZbxdjZ1z0zy8v

Anybody else had a good experience in this price range? Please relate.
A honda engine with good torque? No shiz? Dang.

I would like to have one of these bad boys, too.

Old 06-04-2014, 04:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jumping in late. Bought my Excell XR series at Home Depot in about 2002. 2500 psi I think. Honda OHC GC160 engine.

Only issue, several years ago I discovered it wouldn't run with the choke pushed in all the way, so I pull it out just a hair. Could never figure out if there is a carb adjustment that would fix that.

I maintain it poorly. Changed the oil after first few hours. Changed it again this year. Maybe one other time. Changed the plug when I first had the choke problem. Tapped out the air filter on the garage floor this year, not sure if I've ever replaced it. Try to store it with no gas but hasn't always happened. It doesn't get used every year. Tires go flat between use.

Big thing, when it is running don't stop spraying for more than a couple secs per the manual.

That's the only "care" I give it. I do keep it clean. Still looks about like new.

Currently out on loan to a neighbor. My wife loves to pressure wash. I just have to start it for her. We did the curb a few weeks ago. She'll do the driveway and walk when we get it back.

I'm sure mine will crap out one day. But I let my neighbor use it because I figure it will die of old age before it dies from use.

Happy pressure washing with your new toy, Bob!

Old 06-04-2014, 07:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Been using Mobil1 30W syn oil for years in small engines around the house. They have lasted for a long time and seem to run cleaner and cooler.

69 OHC ZH Sprint Hurst 3 Speed 3:55 (1 of 213)
99 Valkyrie 1520cc Flat 6 108hp/110tq - For Sale
http://sohcsix.yuku.com/forums/1/OHC-lounge
Wanted: 1969 OHC "H" Camshaft