THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 06:49 AM

Default Tony Stewart's Accident

I think Tony may be in trouble after this dirt track incident.

http://deadspin.com/reports-tony-ste...ing-1618893708

Old 08-10-2014, 07:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I really can't see much fault on Tony's part.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:03 AM
Senior Chief

Big trouble for Stewart

RIP Kevin Ward jr.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:03 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

yup..i dont know alot about racing, but looks like he gassed it and spun into that guy. i think he could be in hot water too.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

People should stay off the race track.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The decedent should have picked the fight off the track. Sprint cars are no match for the human body.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 08-10-2014, 07:57 AM

both should have more brains than that mostly the older of the two....

RIP Kevin Ward jr.

original ca car
Old 08-10-2014, 08:02 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Could be he didn't see him until last minute (wearing black suit) and tried to turn n gas to get down track. Who knows. Bad deal either way. I generally don't see sprint car drivers getting out and walking around the track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-10-2014, 08:30 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Reckless endangerment when someone dies is called manslaughter.

The fact he gassed that much horsepower when a human body is next to a open wheel car is reckless endangerment.

My guess he will do some time.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:42 AM
Senior Chief

Waiver was probably signed, and they also probably had driver's meetings with instructions.

I guess the guy just got so angry, he wasn't thinking clearly. Its a very sad situation.

I don't know all the facets of the incident. The police are investigating.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I am a Tony Stewart fan.

I haven't and won't watch the video - no interest in watching someone get killed.

I have been at multiple race tracks when someone was killed. Racing is inherently dangerous sport.

I have been a track official and one thing is for sure - you have to have your head on a swivel and pay attention to what the cars are doing around you. Failure to do so can bad results.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:14 AM
Senior Chief

Default Accident

This was bound to happen. IMO Race officials have turned a blind eye to this sort of thing for far too long just to fill seats. Now as for background I live near a local dirt track champ and have known him for 40 some years. He has run all classes and some sprint cars (World of Outlaws) and the things he has done and literally got away with has had me wondering not if it would happen but "when". He has jumped on cars on the track and fought with (punched) drivers as the field was still in motion. Thrown helmets, struck people with helmets in pit area and was told at "Frogtown " to stay in his car at all times and drive it back onto the enclosed trailer and to stay in the trailer as he was not allowed on the race grounds. He came in in the trailer and he left in the trailer not having touched foot on the grounds. For what reason??? He is a fan favorite. Loved and hated in the same breath. This happened 10 years or more ago so it would make the victim 10 yrs old. 10 yr old minds are very impressionable and when they grow up hearing the old war stories of racing from their local legends it can and will have a bad influence. In a rage your conscious mind is taken over by your subliminal thinking and it reverts to your personal experiences/what you were taught or told. This truly is a tragedy and now with a big name racer involved the race officials will have to deal with this sort of thing in a harsher light.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

CHILLING and tragic for both of them.

A three time cup champion should know better, clearly more than some 20 y.o. kid.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 08-10-2014, 09:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
I am a Tony Stewart fan.

I haven't and won't watch the video - no interest in watching someone get killed.

I have been at multiple race tracks when someone was killed. Racing is inherently dangerous sport.

I have been a track official and one thing is for sure - you have to have your head on a swivel and pay attention to what the cars are doing around you. Failure to do so can bad results.
Seriously? You're going to turn a blind eye while the poster child for aggression in motorsports takes out a competitor?

What is he doing out there anyways? Is that just some technique for local tracks to fill the stands? Isn't that similar to putting Hulk Hogan into a HS wrestling match?

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 08-10-2014, 09:50 AM
Senior Chief

Default Respect

Boss, you could be onto something as for the lack of respect I see being given to a future Hall of famer nascar driver by a local and upcoming racer. The local drivers aren't likely to too impressed with Stewart racing against them. I would have expected the victim to have a story to tell his grandkids about how when he was a youngster Stewart took him out in a race but then several races later as luck would have it he too was in another dust up with Stewart but this time it was Stewart who took the wall and the race Officials all but ended his career because he bumped Stewart. LOL Ed

Old 08-10-2014, 10:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't think Tony was out to kill someone,as mention the driver should have stated his beef after the race. To me it looks like Tony's front wheel had passed the guy and he was trying to jerk the car to the right and spin the rear down track. IMO I am no expert. Sad this guy is gone, but theirs lot's of danger in racing. I think racing should ban a driver 5 races if they exit their car and stay on the track to get a word or confront another driver.

TOM
Old 08-10-2014, 10:20 AM

This whole incident will change some rules in racing down the road. Both drivers did something stupid, the young driver should not have gone into the middle of the track, and Stewart should not have goosed his car at that time. I believe Stewart was only trying to intimidate him after their crash, but it went awry. He is still responsible for the outcome.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:22 AM
Senior Chief

On the video, it appears Stuart turned into Ward at the last second. I could see his front wheels turned slightly right BEFORE impact. Then when Ward was hit, the wheels turned much farther to the right (probably from impact). I'm sure we could find fault with both drivers as adrenalin kicks in and can cloud judgement. I think Stuart's aggression did get the best of him in this incident.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

[QUOTE=The Boss;5250587]Seriously? You're going to turn a blind eye while the poster child for aggression in motorsports takes out a competitor?[QUOTE]

You couldn't predict that response, Chris? Next we're going to hear how great late model GM vehicles are, LOL

Old 08-10-2014, 11:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, racing is dangerous. Its always been dangerous, but since the start of racing, caution has always been exercised in the case of an accident or anyone on the track including spectators, animals, track officials, clean up crew,and other drivers. Thats not just a rule it's common sense. Accidents happen, mistakes are made, and poor judgment is sometimes more common than not. Which of these, or which combination of these took place will certainly come to light via a thorough investigation. Tough to deterimine from just watching a replay.

Closed Thread