Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-04-2014, 12:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via Yahoo to Pontiacmuscle
Angry Timing Is Everything.

Ok...Been a while since I had to do this. 350 Pontiac had to have the distributor replaced. Brought #1 up to TDC compression, both valves were closed. Installed new dist. and installed wires CCW from #1 and I go to start it and it backfires through the carb. What did I screw up? I know its something simple. Thanks Guys!

Old 11-04-2014, 12:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Verify your firing order. Did you take the wires off the dist cap? Did you line up the timing marks "before" you pulled it out?

Old 11-04-2014, 02:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As said, line up the marks knowing that #1 is near TDC at the start of the power stroke. Insert the dist such that the rotor points to the #1 terminal when the dist body has bottomed in the block, insert plug wires CCW from that, 1,8,4,3,6,5,7,2. Should be good to go. Retime and you are done.

If you want to get close to final timing, after installing with the engine on the timing mark, rotate the dist so the points just start to open, or with a HEI the teeth on the dist shaft line up with the teeth on the pickup coil. You will be very close.

I also use an old dist cap with the top center cut out so I can view the rotor position when installing.

I just changed the dist on mine last week per the above, fired right up.

George

Old 11-05-2014, 01:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Won't hurt to emphasis that the engine turns over twice for each revolution of the distributor - so half the time the TDC mark on the balancer lines up with the pointer, it is wrong. Finger over the sparkplug hole and waiting for compression to blow your finger away from the hole works about as good as anything to verify #1 is actually coming up on the compression stroke.

Only other thing is my eyeballing has proved to always be off, so I start with the balancer mark lined up with about 12° (or even up to 16°) before TDC when I eyeball the rotor position. if I set it with the balancer at the 0° mark, the timing is way too retarded.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If number 6 exh valve is not open than you are not on #1 TDC compression.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 11-06-2014, 02:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pull the driver side valve cover and all plugs on both sides, watch the intake valve close as you turn the motor by hand. turn until timing mark on balancer is about an inch or so away from timing indicator. Then line up #1 wire in dist cap with rotor. (Or install dist with rotor pointed at #1 plug wire). This will get you close. Reinstall plugs and remaining wires in dist cap.. A new engine you may need to be a little more precise to start up quicker.

Be ready to adjust timing.

Old 11-07-2014, 01:13 PM

Default Timing IS everything!

Remember dist rotation is CCW in Pontiac!