THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default The last couple of days have been miserable

I've avoided any major health issues for quite a while, but the last few days have been miserable. I'm 57, and over the last month I've noticed I've been getting up more frequently to go to the bathroom, and output was about half of normal.

I started drinking cranberry juice and taking some herbal remedies to hopefully keep the prostrate and urinary tract in good shape. All that did was delay the inevitable. I had a couple of episodes of low grade fever over the last few weeks as well.

I knew I needed to go to the doctor, but delayed it. We had a big customer deliverable due on Friday (we made it), and I just signed up for a HSA with a high deductible health plan. On Friday afternoon, I called to make an appointment and was told the earliest was two weeks out.

Over the weekend, it really started burning and production was way down. There was also a dull pain in the groin area that got continually worse. I also noticed a nasty smell when I went to the bathroom. Then Sunday afternoon, I started running non-stop fever. Early Monday, I got lucky and somebody cancelled their appointment for early afternoon, otherwise I'm not sure where I would have gone.

The diagnosis was urinary tract infection and most likely a prostrate infection. The doctor chewed my rear about the implications of ignoring health symptoms due to other priorities, and gave me antibiotics and a stern lecture. He said if I had delayed much longer, he would have put me in the hospital and administered the antibiotics intraveniously.

I've been on antibiotics for a full day, and at least the fevers have subsided. I think the worst is over, but I still feel like crap. Once the infection is subsided, I need to go back for a prostrate exam and more tests. The doctor said this could also be caused by a bladder stone or kidney stone or prostrate problems.

So if you're in your 50s & 60s and start seeing some of these symptoms, it would be a good idea to have a doctor check you over. You don't want to delay like I did. It only gets more painful, physically and financially.

Mike

Old 02-10-2015, 11:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As a new member to the "57" club [Jan 29th], you give good advice and I hope you get that PONTIACTION feeling again soon.[feel better].
I do get a physical every year and did the 50yr. up the booty exam, no ware near as bad to do with all of the horror stories one does here about,and it's nice to know I am all good and don't need to go again till I am 60yrs.
I drink a lot of water too, I think that helps.
Get well young man.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:08 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the heads-up. Glad things are lookin up for ya.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:33 AM
Senior Chief

I'm 57 also. Physical every year. No fooling around at this age, sorry. Reality is, it's super important to have it every year, and get anything suspicious checked immediately.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Good advice!

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

57 here.
After my last 5 years...cancer (requiring chemo and radiation), multiple kidney stones (2 shattered), surgeries on both elbows, skin cancer on my nose and a cortisone shot in my left shoulder to push back the inevitable surgery there......I'm in complete agreement.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Glad it worked out so well Mike, as I started reading it, I expected worse.

Most plans now cover wellness visits and honestly those are in the best interests of the insurance company as well as us. Diagnosing problems earlier are less costly overall. Had you ended up in the emergency room, the visit would have cost them substantially more.

Get better and start taking better care of yourself!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 02-11-2015, 10:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i take 2 saw palmetto vitamins every morning (prostate health) i alternate b6-b12-d-c every day w the saw palmetto, 3 years ago i started saying out loud i dont need fast food, and quit, 1 year ago i started cutting all the food on my plate in half at lunch, and supper, ive been getting a testosterone shot every 2 weeks for 2 years now, i was 193.5 on the scale this morning, from 250 3 years ago, im still alergic to excersize and dieting, but im actually lifting weights at home before work and after been acouple weeks now on that, think i can handle that. change something any thing, btw when i did something 3 years ago, it took months before is measued any change, good luck

Old 02-11-2015, 11:10 AM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Arrow

Ask for a PSA test, too, although it's hard to imagine a urologist not checking it.

Prostatitis is miserable, but manageable. Some other conditions are much worse.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My PSA was high-above-8 gulp. Last check-up below 4. Dr has been very good and helpful taking proscar now. Just had a checkup with gastro Dr OK 'but' lose weight!

Old 02-11-2015, 11:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I made it through the night without running a fever.

I had a physical in October 2014 and PSA numbers were good, and the dreaded prostrate exam was OK as well. I first began noticing some symptoms around mid-December, but I just attributed it to aging.

I started taking saw palmetto tables about 2 - 3 weeks ago and began drinking a full glass of Cranberry Juice twice a day around the same time. I think that just delayed the inevitable. The severity of the symptoms just ramped up incredibly fast, going to annoying to extemely painful.

Mike

Old 02-11-2015, 12:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

The cranberry juice theory has different avenues....it may help with an infection, BUT the stuff can produce kidney stones, big time. Cranberry's are high in oxylates. Whatever oxylates are, the foods that they are in, can contribute mightily to having kidney stones.

What does the Dr. say about cranberry juice. I have had 2 surgeries in the last 4 years, and several procedures fir kidney stones, previous to that. I believe I have an awesome urologist. He told me the first time I visited him to avoid cranberry juice, like the plague!!!

Just passing this on, praying for your best health!

Water is my best friend.

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 02-11-2015, 01:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I pray they don't add kidney stones to Mike's issue!

Peanuts and chocolate both contain oxylates.
I had to give up Peanut M&M's.....a life changing decision.
Most everything else I like to eat also contain oxylates.

Fruits
blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, currants, kiwifruit, concord (purple) grapes, figs, tangerines, and plums
Vegetables
spinach, Swiss chard, beets (root part), beet greens (leaf part), collards, okra, parsley, leeks and quinoa are among the most oxalate-dense vegetables
celery, green beans, rutabagas, and summer squash would be considered moderately dense in oxalates
Nuts and seeds
almonds, cashews, and peanuts
Legumes
soybeans, tofu and other soy products
Grains
wheat bran, wheat germ, quinoa (a vegetable often used like a grain)
Other
cocoa, chocolate, and black tea

Some folks systems have no issues processing those foods. OMG, I wish I could drink as much water as my urologist says I should. I'd have to stand in front of a toilet all day......
My largest stone so far was 10mm. Right now I'm toting a 7mm rock and look to have it smashed shortly.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.

Last edited by David Jones; 02-11-2015 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I,m gonna throw this out there, I wonder if the frequency of sex(or lack of) now that were older plays a role on the health of our prostate? I read somewhere that when we have interment a couple times a week it keeps our prostate like 80% healthier. Hue Hefner and George Burns are proof. After reading poncho-mikes thread I was thinking about this. Maybe off I dont know!

Old 02-11-2015, 02:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

May be time to talk to your doctor about Flomax. http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supp...n/drg-20068275

Old 02-11-2015, 05:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I drink a lot of Orange juice with "lots of pulp" it keeps things flowing and I feel better. I'm 57 also, well at least for a couple of weeks. ;-)

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 02-11-2015, 05:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

At least todays news said eating eggs is ok to do now......bring on the bacon

Old 02-11-2015, 07:56 PM
Senior Chief

Not sure age is on my side because at 38 I'm having alot of the same issues. Every doctor I have been to says what are you doing here. Your to young. I have had a history of stones as well. At this point I'm taking a prostate supplement with some relief and a multivitamin to help with my poor eating habits. I keep telling the wife more sexy would fix everything but as we both fall asleep from a long days work that idea goes out the window. Lol

Old 02-11-2015, 08:49 PM
Senior Chief

Default your health

I've had more than a dozen kidney stones over the years so I spent a lot of time talking to my urologist. He's plain-spoken and says "sex is good for your prostate". Also, he emphasizes "use it or lose it". I've repeated this to my wife but it doesn't work.

64 GTO convertible, gone but not forgotten
76 CB750K
72 CB350F

" why yes, I am old school, so what?"
Old 02-12-2015, 12:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

After hearing the comments on the cranberry juice, I think I'm going to quit drinking that stuff after a few more days. I don't like it anyway, so stopping it won't hurt my feelings. As for the hanky panky aspect, we became empty nesters once my youngest left for college this fall. Life is busy, but there is more time for me and my wife. I don't have a urologist, but I may ask for a referral rather than return to my normal doctor.

I think stress could be a big factor in this. Starting in late 2013, my mom's health took a turn for the worse. She passed away in May 2014, and the estate settlement is turning out to be a major headache. Rather than try to buy my brother and sister out, I agreed to sell out.

After mom passed away, someone broke into her house and stole tools and equipment out of dad's garage, including a bunch of second gen T/A parts and 71-72 GTO parts. They stole band saws, air compressors, mulchers, a tire balancer, and my parts. They got a very nice original 71 T/A fender and a nice 72 GTO fender. Luckily we discovered the breakins before they had time to go through the storage trailer, where I had a couple of 71-72 GTO hoods that I've had stashed since the early 80s and even more sheet metal.

My oldest son was getting married in May 2014, until my mother's health took a turn for the worse. He's postponed it until May 2015. My youngest son started college his fall, so we had to make time for campus tours.

There were three engineers where I work. One quit in Jan 2014, and the company decided not to replace him. Instead they're having me direct two engineers at our Indian facility to do some of the work. The remaining local engineer went to Florida over Thanksgiving, had a motorcycle accident and broke his foot/leg/ankle. He's been out for over two months, just came back on Monday. I've been sole mechanical support since Thanksgiving.

And then there's my rental house. I ended up with a moron tenant who put a bunch of cats in the house. With mom dying, I didn't know she had moved a bunch of cats in. When I found out, I didn't have the motivation to deal firmly with her. After mom passed, she stalled me at every turn. It took almost three months to get her out. The house still stinks, and my wife and I spent most of December and January working on it.

If I survive until summer, I'm taking a long vacation.