THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Cruising the Coast

Had a great conversation with my girl and it looks like we are heading to Mississippi and Louisianna in Oct. Looks like we will fly into New Orleans on the Tuesday and rent a vehicle and head to Bolixi and stay at the Golden Nugget( our favorite in Vegas). What are the best events to go to? The bad thing is I won't have my car , but hope to meet some PY members from the Deep South. We thought we would spend a couple days in New Orleans and see the sites.Any suggestions of things to do or see or great places to eat just let me know.

1968 Firebird Race Car,525 CU IAll looking for low 10 second passes!
1970 442, # Matching 455, 4 Speed W-25 hood
Old 04-10-2015, 12:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Missed it last year. Went back to Vegas for our 20th anniversary. Going to try to make it this year but with Powertour and faction days slim I don't know.

Check out my sons blog, www.driftundertheradar.com

Old 04-10-2015, 10:36 AM

There are car shows at all the host cities every day I think, a lot of cars cruise around the area between cities, and drive through the show at each city. First time we went we just parked across from Show Central and watched everyone drive by, after walking through Show Central. Last time we went on Friday and went through all the cars at Ocean Springs, then went and parked along the strip and watched cars, met some nice folks and went back to the same spot Saturday. We didn't have a car either, one of the guys we met gave us a cruise ride in a bright yellow 69 Firebird convertible down to the mall and back, the mall was full of cars. Saturday it takes forever to drive the strip from Gulfport to Biloxi the traffic is really backed up, we've learned our way around and you have to go north and use back roads to get around quicker. Hopefully this year I have something driving, I'm getting ready to do a 65 Mustang for my wife, will be red with white stripes, blue Florida antique plates.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the comments, just wondering if Hurricane season is over by then?

Old 04-10-2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slgenge View Post
Thanks for the comments, just wondering if Hurricane season is over by then?
No, hurricane season runs until the end of November, but I haven't seen any that late since moving down here, it's always been great weather on the weekends we've gone, we go on the last weekend.
We've been to New Orleans a few times, mostly just walked around the French Quarter and explored the thrift type shops and a Flea Market. Once we asked some locals where they like to eat, they directed us to Adolfo's Restaurant on Frenchman St, little old 2 story house, first floor was The Apple Bar, and Adolfo's up an old wood stairway, not very big (former house) but the fish with crawfish sauce on top was upscale restaurant delicious.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks 57 Charley

Old 04-12-2015, 07:24 PM

This will be our third year. Unbelievable number of cars and trucks. 7K+ registered last year and probably a couple thousand more not registered. First year we wore ourselves out driving to all the venues. Take lawn chairs or something similar. Last year we went three days and spent most of our time just sitting under the trees at Cruise Central at Gulfport (registration area) catching the breeze off the Gulf and watching the cars and trucks. We registered because if you are registered there are designated parking at the venues for registered vehicles.

Traffic is heavy, but we don't mind as it is like a huge parade.

Google "Blow Fly Inn Gulfport Mississippi". We don't have a vested interest or know anyone connected with it. We just found it on the internet. Food was good.

New Orleans:

We liked Acme Oyster House, 724 Iberville St, New Orleans in the Quarter just off Bourbon Street. A kind of "hole in the wall" place.

For their Beignets (French "donuts") and coffee, Cafe Du Monte across from Jackson Square. We would go there early in the morning.

But, there are many good places to eat in or near the Quarter. We used to visit NO a few years ago as our son was attending school there. "Never had a bad meal".

Enjoy.

70 GTO HT, Original Owner, Atoll Blue, #s Match, 400, 4-Speed, A/C, Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler
70 GTO HT, Burgundy, Not #s Match, 455, 4-Speed, Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler
70 GTO Convertible, Granada Gold, #s Match, 400, 3-Speed MT, Floor Shift, Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler
Old 04-12-2015, 08:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you guys get to New Orleans, try and stop in and visit the National WWII Museum.... http://www.nationalww2museum.org/ And see the movie. I bet you can't leave after the movie is done with dry eyes. I couldn't, and couldn't talk either. That's how it grabs you.... right by the knots.

And stop by to see PT 305. Somewhere the print, I posted on PY of the Ball Turret gunner with the million dollar stare, should be up on a wall down there. I sent it to Old Goat 67 and he delivered it to the museum for me. You might even see him as a volunteer working on PT-305. I said might....

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.