Old 04-14-2015, 12:32 PM
Senior Chief

Default 73 Formula Opinions

Any thoughts on this Formula for sale locally? Price, etc?

http://carbondale.craigslist.org/cto/4957733584.html

1979 W72 Fire Am
1976 Fire Am
Old 04-14-2015, 12:36 PM

If it's as nice as the pics and description, I would think it's worth what he's asking.

The worst seems to be the color - yuk.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks pretty nice and still sports its orignal plastic valance. That alone tells allot about the car and how it was used.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Seems like its worth what he's asking, but you can always get it for a little less.

These cars appear to be climbing in value, so finding a good car for short money is getting harder. I actually like the color combo, its different but in a good way.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 04-14-2015, 03:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

what's not to like about Florentine Red (burgundy)? Love that color. Although I would have chosen a white or black interior rather than the Oxblood. JMO

Old 04-14-2015, 03:39 PM
Senior Chief

When I first viewed this I thought is was Carbondale PA. (very close to me) but
I see this is a different Carbondale. Anyway the Car seems very solid in the Pics
and nicely optioned (check the PHS though) Price seems fair if the Car Runs and
Drives like it looks. The only two things that bother me at this Money is the
incorrect look under the Hood, and what seems a limited restoration under the Car.
Body Mounts Ect. Nice Car, especially if you can get it a little cheaper.

Old 04-14-2015, 05:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I like it....but WAY too much red......

The under hood really BLOWS....but that's a fun and easy fix.....

For it to be in MY garage it would need to loose the rear spoiler and get Rally Gauges...

Eye Candy......garage band?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUPcHxHRx3s

Go full screen & turn it UP!
Old 04-14-2015, 09:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

im digging the no a/c and I like the color combo. I just hate it that formulas didn't come standard with the tach dash and so many didn't get it ordered. I will have to go back and look, but did I see a 12 bolt rear in it?

Old 04-14-2015, 11:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue71ta View Post
what's not to like about Florentine Red (burgundy)? Love that color. Although I would have chosen a white or black interior rather than the Oxblood. JMO
The car is Florentine as you mentioned, but it has Burgundy deluxe interior ( code 247) only available in Deluxe. Its not Oxblood, or Firethorn. Im not sure I like it with the exterior, but to each his own. One of mine was silver with Burgundy

Old 04-14-2015, 11:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamn69 View Post
Any thoughts on this Formula for sale locally? Price, etc?

http://carbondale.craigslist.org/cto/4957733584.html
When I go look at a car like this, thats this complete and mostly original. I take a sheet and add up what it will cost to fix the aftermarket "bolt ons", deduct it from the asking price, and make an offer. This one would be about 17,500.
Then buy yourself a tyvex paint suit and get out the diesel /Purper power cleaner and get going underneath!!

Old 04-15-2015, 07:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I like the car would be way more fun with a 4 speed

Old 04-15-2015, 10:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle_collector View Post
I will have to go back and look, but did I see a 12 bolt rear in it?
yes looks like 12 bolt.

I had a 1973 Espirit just like this, but 400 2 bbl, 4 speed. put on a 73 TA hood that I had with matching paint and bird, added gauges, a 4bbl, and drove the wheels off. miss that bird. that paint looked real nice cleaned up and shiny.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyT/A'S View Post
I like it....but WAY too much red......

The under hood really BLOWS....but that's a fun and easy fix....
I'll agree with the under hood part. That's an easy enough fix. If you're planning on it just being a driver the engine bay isn't that big of a deal. Clean it up, some paint here and there and you're good to go!

I didn't like cars that had matching exterior/interior colors, but after owning a maroon on maroon Monte Carlo SS it grew on me. Its a nice enough color that the interior isn't overpowering.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 04-15-2015, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No too bad at all. Fairly low option, for those that like 'em that way. Not my favorite color combo either. But I am going to be a bit more pessimistic on the asking price. I'd say not a penny over $16K, $15K would be more accurate IMHO. Would be good to see the PHS to help estimate the value better.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
The car is Florentine as you mentioned, but it has Burgundy deluxe interior ( code 247) only available in Deluxe. Its not Oxblood, or Firethorn. Im not sure I like it with the exterior, but to each his own. One of mine was silver with Burgundy
you're right, Burgundy interior for a '73.
Oxblood is for a '75.
For some reason, I was thinking they were the same name.

Silver with Burgundy would be a nice combo though

Old 04-15-2015, 08:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transamric View Post
No too bad at all. Fairly low option, for those that like 'em that way. Not my favorite color combo either. But I am going to be a bit more pessimistic on the asking price. I'd say not a penny over $16K, $15K would be more accurate IMHO. Would be good to see the PHS to help estimate the value better.
I was thinking 13k tops.

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 04-16-2015, 12:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like the gas tank leaks at the filler neck, too.

Nice car, and I like the rear spoilers...

Old 04-16-2015, 03:35 AM
Suspended

I to would go for about 13K just because the missing ralley gauges & the dirty under hood. Your going to have to change the body mounts as there bad & in need of some repair. The gas tank leaks & needs to be cleaned under the car badly. But with all the things needed the 13K would be a great price. The 3:73 rear gears with an auto is going to be a quick in town car but out on the hwy. your top speed is going to be about 100mph& thats going to be wound up. Maybe a little faster but not much, but you'll get there real fast. I like the looks of the car. Putting the ralley gauges in the car will only cost you about $ 250.00 with the gauges & new circuit board for it. The rest is just clean up. I'd buy it if I had the money. I like the florentine red met . that the color of my 73 GTO as you can see. Buy it if the price is close to the 13K. No more then 15K.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This is a tough one to put a $ on for me. Plus = Real F400. Major Plus: No rust claim which is a Gigantic Plus if true, in these days. Moderate Plus: No Air. Appears relatively "Survivor-ish" which is when translates to feels tight, decent gaps, doors shut nice, is a pretty big thing. "Never taken apart before" is a good thing too. Beyond, all as said, "unique" color combo, not bad but different. Negatives: needs at least correct exhaust tips or new full correct system, needs engine stuff located, put back (easy). No Gauges is a sucker for me, but is sort of a deal to rectify but doable, on a no air car not as bad. Gears need toned down to 3.42 max for reality driving. And car didn't have mileage listed or I missed it so probably a post 100K car and as said body bushings and maybe some other unknowns (tranny is question as engine, both may be a bit tired, heads look like veterans.....

So the real question is: if this car was a better driver (body mounts and fresh engine tranny) and in similar shape, what would THAT car be worth? I say 21-25K on the bay for a WAG. So figuring the $$$ to do engine / tranny / exhaust / gears to put it probably where it needs to be for a suitable driver (IMO)...... I put this one at market price of, da da dum...... $$$ 16-17K. I put the max value to anyone on PY site (hobbyist price) at as said 13K.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:28 AM
Senior Chief

Although the Plastic valance is a good sign, that rear gearing tells me the Car
is not as original as one would expect. No 12 Bolts in 73, and I think 3:42 was
the max. Not sure but 3:73 may not have been available. It's a nice feature
but not original, and the asking price is based primarily on the originality. Still
if the Body is as solid as it appears, real early formula's are not easy to find, and
this one is better than most I have seen recently for sale. Colors are a personal
choice.

If you can get this Car at the right price, my personal opinion is that these early
formies are undervalued (especially high option 400 and 455 Cars) In a few years
you may be surprised on the value. One of the best things they have going for them
is the low production, plus, more and more, we read about the purity of their design.
That combo traditionally (low production and very popular looks) is a great sign for
future value. Buy the way, the right price for me would be south of 15K. Anything
below 15 would be a good buy. 70 to 72 Cars will always be a little higher in value
(RAIII, 455HO, rock crusher 4 speeds) and they should be.