Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-03-2015, 11:11 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default which timing chain cover gaskets get sealer?

does the t/c cover gasket get gasket sealer on both sides? same question with the water pump divider and two gaskets for the water pump. Yesterday i put Aviation 300 on both sides of my t/c cover gasket, the first water pump gasket and then only on the back side of the second water pump gasket, so the divider was sandwiched with the goo, but i put nothing on the back of the water pump itself. should i have done it differently? thanks. no question to basic here right.

When a cat is dropped it always lands on its feet. When buttered toast is dropped it always lands with the buttered side facing down. If a piece of buttered toast was attached to the back of a cat, when dropped, the cat/buttered toast combination should hover, spinning just above the ground, as it tries unsuccessfully to resolve the inevitable conflict of non-scientific certainties.

Last edited by bullheimer; 06-03-2015 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used Gasacinch on the paper gasket between the timing cover and the block (make sure BOTH surfaces are flat). I use Ultra Copper lacquer between the gasket mating surface for the water pump, the water pump baffle and the timing cover. Aviation gasket sealer is also a good choice. I'm NOT a fan of RTV.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 06-03-2015, 12:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

ok. think i'm cool with nothing on the back of my water pump but the gasket?

When a cat is dropped it always lands on its feet. When buttered toast is dropped it always lands with the buttered side facing down. If a piece of buttered toast was attached to the back of a cat, when dropped, the cat/buttered toast combination should hover, spinning just above the ground, as it tries unsuccessfully to resolve the inevitable conflict of non-scientific certainties.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheimer View Post
ok. think i'm cool with nothing on the back of my water pump but the gasket?
No, I would use a thin coat of Ultra Copper lacquer or aircraft gasket sealer on that gasket. It's cheap insurance, but be sure to keep the sealer only on the gasket flange. I use Gascacinch to hold the gasket to the pump. I've never had a leak using this process. RTV is for bathtubs...

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 06-03-2015, 07:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

ok, so every gasket get coated on both side. i'm good with that. thanks.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheimer View Post
ok, so every gasket get coated on both side. i'm good with that. thanks.
You can do that but be stingy with the gasket glue/adhesive/coatings. In most cases nothing but a gasket is needed between to good surfaces!

I usually use no gasket sealers except in about three instances!
1)The manufacturer insists it is required!
2)The surface being sealed is pitted or sheet metal that can bend or warp!
3)The gasket has multiple parts that must be joined such as where the timing cover and oil pan meet!

Old 06-03-2015, 11:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I goo both sides on all cooling system components - wp, timing cover, tstat housing, tc to intake mating surface/grommet.

Permatex ultra black or gray stuff.

I don't go full-stupid with it, but old engines have many pits and irregularities that need some "help". I am also a "go" guy, not a "show" guy, so seeing a little squished out rtv doesn't bug me.

I am very sparing, tho, when it comes to oil system gaskets so that I don't get a piece of rtv in a pump regulator ball, etc.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
I use Ultra Copper lacquer
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
Ultra Copper lacquer
Ultra Copper Lacquer doesn't return any sensible hits on Amazon.

Got a part number or photo of the product?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
Permatex ultra black or gray stuff.

I don't go full-stupid with it, but old engines have many pits and irregularities that need some "help". I am also a "go" guy, not a "show" guy, so seeing a little squished out rtv doesn't bug me.
The big problem with RTV is that it actually encourages gaskets to tear and to slide out-of-position.

RTV shouldn't be used ON a gasket. It's sometimes ok to use RTV instead of a gasket. I'm not too fond of it even then.

There's dozens of appropriate gasket sealers--Gasgacinch is wonderful, as is High Tack, Copper Coat, Hylomar, Permatex #1, #2, and #3, Indianhead shellac, and many others.

Old 06-04-2015, 03:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

While RTV offerings have become better and better over the years, it seems that Gasgacinch has either ran afoul of either the EPA or the company bean counters. It's not nearly the product it was a few years ago. Now it is a white milky liquid that seems to disappear into the gaskets with little to no holding power. Old stuff was like a heavy duty rubber cement that worked great.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post

The big problem with RTV is that it actually encourages gaskets to tear and to slide out-of-position.

RTV shouldn't be used ON a gasket. It's sometimes ok to use RTV instead of a gasket. I'm not too fond of it even then.

There's dozens of appropriate gasket sealers--Gasgacinch is wonderful, as is High Tack, Copper Coat, Hylomar, Permatex #1, #2, and #3, Indianhead shellac, and many others.
The last can I bought had to be ordered. The next time I get up to my home in Indiana, I'll look up the part number. Hylomar is a VERY good gasket sealer.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 06-04-2015, 09:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lust4speed View Post
While RTV offerings have become better and better over the years, it seems that Gasgacinch has either ran afoul of either the EPA or the company bean counters. It's not nearly the product it was a few years ago. Now it is a white milky liquid that seems to disappear into the gaskets with little to no holding power. Old stuff was like a heavy duty rubber cement that worked great.
Mick, my last can was OK, but I did buy it in 2010.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 06-04-2015, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Permatex ultra black is good stuff and the only RTV I'll use. When I want to make sure a gasket seals and stays sealed I smear the ultra black on with my finger as a very thin coat. Used like this it's like glue. Depending on what I'm assembling I'll use it on one or both sides of the gasket. If I just want to glue a gasket in place I'll smear it onto the part then put the gasket on the part, lining up all the holes and let it set up for a minute or two before installing.

I'm talking using a really thin coating of it, so thin that it won't squish out hardly at all. Just smear it on with your finger 'til you get a paper thin coat of it. If you let it set up a little before installing that also prevents it from squishing out. It does a great job of sealing irregular surfaces and pitting and is coolant, oil, and gas resistant.

Old 06-04-2015, 02:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post

I checked with Permatex. They have stopped producing Ultra Copper lacquer. One more GOOD sealant gone...

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 06-05-2015, 12:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

thanks, i feel just fine with the avation 300 after reading about the demise of the others. i have another question and that is that all the bolts i used only go about 1/4" into the block or t/c cover, in the case of the water pump. it was enough for me to properly torque them down, so would it have been better to have used a longer bolt?