Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-19-2015, 11:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Starter Shimming--or Not

I learned today that you can determine the proper starter-to-ring gear spacing by using a 1/8" drill bit.

Mount the starter and insert a 1/8" drill bit between the crown of the ring gear teeth and the starter shaft. It should just fit. If it won't fit, add shims until it does.

This sure beats trial and error as I've done for the 50+ years I've worked on Pontiacs!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Firebird Progress 010.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	400891  

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
The Following User Says Thank You to Dick Boneske For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2015, 11:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I got hipped to that a year or two ago after many years not in the know. Smoother engagement, not so much clunk and violent noise when turning the key.

Youtube is one of the best inventions EVER.

Old 06-20-2015, 01:37 AM
Suspended

All the starters that I've ever bought plus the new mini starter that I have now came with instruction to do just that. Some of the starters I've bought have also came with a piece of rod that is used to measure the distance in the teeth. It's not a new idea. I don't mean this statement to be a smart a&& either , but the instructions that came with all the starters I've bought had them.

Old 06-20-2015, 06:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexs73gto View Post
but the instructions that came with all the starters I've bought had them.
Instructions? Sir, you speak blasphemy.

We don't read none of them things in these here parts!

Old 06-20-2015, 07:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Great tip. Thanks for posting.

Charles

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, SD Performance E-head, Solid roller 3600 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.
Best so far 9.95@134 mph. 1.43 60 ft.
76 Trans am, TKX .81 o/d, 3.73 Moser rearend,
468 with KRE D-ports, Doug headers, 3" Exh.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I try to do something similar. So how do you do that with a scattershield and block plate?

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 06-20-2015, 12:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is the easiest way I have found to shim the starter[this comes from 11 years working in the starting/charging system world]. I have installed literally thousands of starters. Hundreds in Pontiac's alone. I lay directly under the starter/ringgear so I can get a good look at them. What I concentrate on is the steel cup on the starters armature shaft, that is just about an inch[should actually be between 3/4", and 13/16"] in front[towards rear of car] of the starter drive gear. I look at that steel cup[I say cup because it snaps over a wire clip] and visualize sliding it towards the starter drive gear. When the starter is shimmed properly, that steel cup should appear to just clear the ringgear teeth as you slide it back towards the drive gear. Keep in mind, that you won't be able to physically slide the cup back, you just have to visualize it. If the cup looks like it will hit the ringgear, then add shims until it looks like it will just clear without touching it. If it looks like it will miss the ringgear by 1/16", then the starter needs to be machined 1/16" on the nose cone so it bolts up closer to the ringgear. This is really common on Chevy's, however very rare on Pontiac's. Most Pontiac's need shims, which is why they refer to them as "Pontiac shims" in the business. I had to machine nose cones on hundreds of Chevy starters to get them to mesh right.

This method works very good when you can't get a drill bit in there to measure. I have never used to drill bit, or paper clip method as I find this method to be much easier.

After you're done, I test the meshing by listening to the starter when starting it. When starting it, I hold the key for just a second longer after the engine starts. If it sounds good while cranking, but you here a shrieking screech as the engine fires, you need just a tad more shim, like maybe 1/32". If it sounds very raspy while cranking only[before it starts], then the starter is too far away from the ringgear. I have heard so many starters over the years, that I can tell you pretty much how many shims to add, or how far away from the ringgear a starter is just from listening to it start.

520-409-7236
Koerner Racing Engines
You killed it, We build it!
520-294-5758

64 GTO, under re-construction, 412 CID, also under construction.
87 S-10 Pickup, 321,000 miles
99Monte Carlo, 293,000 miles
86 Bronco, 218,000 miles
The Following User Says Thank You to gtofreek For This Useful Post: