Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:15 PM
Senior Chief

Default '69 Camaro...what's it worth?

I know it's not a Pontiac, but I figured with the wealth of knowledge around here, there was bound to be at least a few of you with Chevy experience. I'm just looking for some opinions on this '69 Camaro I'm interested in buying. Here's the rundown...

-Body-

Fairly solid, it's got a good foundation. Underneath the car is good, no holes in the floor, frame rails are solid, the exterior just needs tending to. It's had quarters put on it at some point in time, but I'm not sure of the quality of repair they did, so I'm not sure if I'd factor the cost to replace them into the total cost to repaint yet. Doors are really solid and straight, but the bottoms of them are pretty bad, which is a shame. Fenders are great, just need a patch on the lower corner of the driver side, the passenger side is clean. And I'll have to get an OEM hood for it, I'd have to sell the hood that's on it, big 4" cowl.

Other than that, it's got some typical rust issues...around the rear window, front window down by the dash, popping out around the tail lights...just "here and there".

-Interior-

Again, not bad. Seats and carpet are great, dash and dash pad show it's age, but I probably wouldn't replace them. Column is all scratched up by the ignition, and the steering wheel is cracked. Needs a driver side door panel, and a package tray, and there's a hole in the headliner towards the back. That's really about it...

-Engine-

396 BBC. Runs, but sounds like it's got a massive exhaust leak. Not a rod knock noise, but that high pitched TICK ya know? Someone at work suggested maybe the headers are cheap and warped? Or it's out of time, and the dual points distributor needs to go. Just needs some tuning...but I guess the fact that it runs is as good a sign as any?

Those are the big 3 items. The car has been sitting for years and years, so it'll need some TLC elsewhere too. Brakes go to the floor, so not sure if they just need bled, but a friend suggested just buying 4 new wheel cylinders since they were so cheap. (power drum brakes on all 4 corners) M20 4sp, that hopefully shifts good (car moves under it's own power, but isn't road worthy, so no test drive) and 4.10 12 bolt posi out back. Fuel system will likely need some attention too...clean out the tank, see what they have for a fuel pump setup (I know it's external, bolted to the frame back there, just not sure of the condition) Bumpers are ok, but the rest of the chrome is questionable. Etc.

I know 69's bring some big money, way more than Firebirds, in all kinds of shape, but I don't know what to offer this guy? He's asking $13,500, but I don't know if I should pay that for a car that needs as much as it does. Opinions? I've seen driver quality Camaro's with 20 year old paint jobs go for $30,000, or just a rolling shell with no interior for $7,000-$10,000!

I should ad that I was a body man for almost 15 years, so I know exactly what the body is going to take. If a reputable resto shop did it, I'd say anywhere from $12,000-$15,000 easy. Luckily it's nothing I can't handle, so it should save me a bundle there...whenever I got around to it. My plan would be to get it to be a safe, reliable driver, primer or just single state it one color (currently 4 different colors on the car) and drive it for a few years while I save up money for the body, and the kids get a little older so the wife isn't pulling her hair out with them while I play with my car. She's already stuck with them being a stay at home mom. haha

Here's a vid of the engine noise....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-5n31muA8Q

I'd upload some pics of the car itself, but I don't feel right posting this guy's car on the internet.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:20 PM

If you don't pay his price or something close to it someone else will.

Those first-gen Camaros bring big money nowadays as you already know.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:24 PM
Senior Chief

Yea, that's what I'm afraid of. haha

He's already got a friend of his who owns a resto shop offering him $14,700 for the car, but he's holding the car for us because he'd rather see it go to a family who's going to enjoy it, and not just flip it for profit. That's why he said my price was $13,500. I know he paid nowhere NEAR that price though, since the car has been sitting for at least 7-8 years and he bought it from a friend of his just TWO months ago, so I'm hoping he'll sympathize with me a bit more and come down! I can dream at least...

Old 06-21-2015, 11:39 PM

Wave 10K in cash under his nose.

Make sure to have another 2K in cash stashed in your pocket if you need it to seal the deal.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:42 PM
Senior Chief

Max I'd have is $11,000, but that leaves me with using credit cards to get the thing to be road worthy, and that's not something I should really be doing right now...such a slippery slope!

I'm going to look into collector car loans, but my concern is when they come out to appraise/vin check it, they're not going to give me as much as I'd need to buy it. Most of those sites say the car has to be in "good, running condition"...kind of subjective.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Alot of info left out. Like 1st 3 vin digits tell if it is an 8 or a 6 cyl. Is it a Camaro, camaro ss , camaro r/s ss?? Numbers matching? If it is a real 396 what h.p. 396? Need way more info to give you a correct whats it worth answer.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:59 AM
Senior Chief

The 396 is out of a '68 Chevelle SS, so it's not numbers matching. Rear end was originally a 10 bolt, and he still has it. My guess is it was a run of the mill 350 car...no SS, RS/SS, nothing.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:22 AM
Senior Chief

Send a message via AIM to 1968firebird455

Hard to tell without looking at it in person but his asking price doens't sound out of line.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:26 AM
Senior Chief

Anyone have any ideas on the engine video?

He's telling me now that it's just an exhaust gasket leak at the header.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josue View Post
He's telling me now that it's just an exhaust gasket leak at the header.
I had the exact same type of leak on another car recently and it didn't sound that high up or tinny - it ended up being a cracked manifold and no gasket would fix it in addition to a collector leak. Hard to say for sure without being there in person.

I'm the kind of person that would take any kind of "oh it's just X minor part causing a problem" that hasn't been fixed by the owner to skeptical and be willing to bet there's more to the root cause than just a $10 gasket that a few hours changing would fix...

Old 06-22-2015, 05:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Check the 1st didgits of the vin, a 123 is a 6 cyl, a 124 is an 8 cyl.
It does sound like a bad exhaust leak or a real bad lifter.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:17 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for all the conversation guys!

I've decided to pass on the car...it's just not the right time to get into a project like this.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Can buy a brand new body for less, just saying. Year one employee built one from their catalog , yes the whole car..