THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Cars your kids like

Overheard a conversation today that got me wondering how much of an influence our interest and involvement in the Pontiac hobby/old cars/racing has on our offspring's choice of vehicles…

Here's how the conversation went. My 12 year old daughter asked my 10 year old son if he has a black 67 Impala in his box of Hot Wheels. He said no, then asked why. She told him it's her dream car. He then told her that his dream cars are a 1970 Superbird in Purple or Green and a 1970 Mustang in Black.

I was very surprised that my daughter expressed an interest in an old car…and although there were no Pontiacs on their short lists, I'm happy that (a) they feel that cars are more than an appliance that gets them to soccer and dance, and (b) they haven't been brainwashed to think they're only choice is a Cayenne Turbo or Gelandewagen.

I think it's a given that parents' interest in the hobby has some effect, the question is the strength and nature of the effect. Do your kids tend to gravitate towards the same brand/models/generation or is it more about an interest in cars in general? Or do your kids show no interest at all? Just curious.

Last edited by Gator67; 07-15-2015 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My kids love the old Pontiacs- they've been raised with them. My son wants my Bonneville wagon (!) and my daughter wants a black S/E Trans Am. They're 16 and 14 now. My son actually bought a super low mile '77 Bonneville with his his own money- he'll have his license in a couple of weeks.

I am actually surprised how many kids their age like the old cars. Some actually have some pretty good knowledge of them. Just recently I had a kid that I was chaperoning at work camp compliment my "Judge" shirt. He is a pretty quiet kid, almost a little nerdy- He says "I like your shirt"- I ask if he knows what it is?- it's orange and just has "The Judge" logo on the left breast. He replies "Of course, it's a GTO!" Never would've expected it from him, but we had a nice little talk about cars.

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 07-15-2015, 08:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My son is 19, and he wants a 70-72 short bed step side Chevy truck. I got him a 99 2-dr Tahoe Z-71 when he got his driver's license, and he's very happy with it. He's interested in old cars, but given a choice I think he would pick a 4x4 truck.

My olders on also likes trucks.

Mike

Old 07-15-2015, 09:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My 7 year old son wants my GTO, but his second choice is a Firebird. Whenever he sees a classic car, he always asks if it is fast. The follow up question is "Is it faster than a GTO?"

69 Judge convertible........clone! Carousel red, parchment, hideaways, TH400, 10" Continental 3200 stall, 12 bolt with 3.42, 469 c.i. with ported #48's, ported cast iron intake, Cliff's Q-Jet and ported 2-1/2" Ram Air manifolds.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My 25 year old son is mad at me for selling my 'cuda a year ago. He would like a '66 Chevelle.

TOM
Old 07-15-2015, 10:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Daughter is into the turbo Subarus. She has a Legacy Outback wagon for now. She wants a WRX turbo. She's due for a baby in January, so we'll see how her plans change!

My son (13) likes the old stuff, as does my daughter, but he wants a Jeep for off road stuff.

He's back and forth on if he wants to drive the FB or the Lee-mans once he gets a license.

My daughter has driven my FB, and to this day is the only other person since I've owned it to drive it. My wife got kinda butt-hurt to find that out, but she's had an open invitation.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up My son...

liked the '63 GP he had in high school...and the '67 GP he traded for that...and the Can Am he had before that. He LOVED the 10 second Pro-Street '64 GTO we built and the Tri-Power four speed look-alike he traded that for. He REALLY loved BOTH Matador Red/red RA IV cars he pulled back from their graves and then came the point where owning just one Goat wasn't enough...as he now has an automatic air conditioned '64 GTO out of New Mexico that was restored using every original panel and has a Tri-Power four speed 3.90 gear car that was a barn find and should be out of the body shop in a few weeks...also wearing all original panels. He truly has the passion...and there is NOTHING like watching your offspring out-shine you...as they should!!! We both do all we can to advocate and inspire young folks to take an interest in the old iron. Not easy what with the technology offered in today's musclecars.

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.

Last edited by Ron Landis; 07-15-2015 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My son (early 30's) likes 4WD V-8 trucks. His Pontiac choice is my '67 or a mid-70's T/A.
My mid 30's daughter wants something larger than her current Yukon.
(Wife wants a 4 speed first gen Camaro)

Old 07-15-2015, 11:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My boy likes firebirds
He will most likely get mine anyway.
Going to school him on donkey stomping and skull dragging so he can take care of business once he turns 16.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up Suggestion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs69 View Post
My 7 year old son wants my GTO, but his second choice is a Firebird. Whenever he sees a classic car, he always asks if it is fast. The follow up question is "Is it faster than a GTO?"
take him to the Pure Stock Musclecar Drag Races in Michigan...fun and excitement for kids of ALL ages!!!

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68azbird View Post
My boy likes firebirds
He will most likely get mine anyway.
Going to school him on donkey stomping and skull dragging so he can take care of business once he turns 16.
Better school him on evading arrest and/or paying fines, too!

Old 07-16-2015, 07:15 AM

My 5-year-old daughter loves my Trans Am. She wants it to be hers when she gets her license . She even loves to help, to the chagrin of my wife, whenever I work on the cars

My 2-year-old son just loves walking around the car. He is just starting to get into cars, so there is promise there too

Old 07-16-2015, 07:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Both my son and daughter are into cars. Since my daughter is now married she is not into them as much as my son. My son and I are working on the GT-37 as a project together. We want to take it on the Hot Rod Power Tour one day before I die. I have worked on cars since about 10 years old and did it for a living for many years. It's in my blood.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Our daughter grew up around old cars and has a flair for things that are different.

She'd like a Corvair convertible or a VW Thing.

Yes, this is my daughter that bought not one, but two new Pontiac Azteks. Her 2003 was just retired this spring when she bought a Subaru Crosstrak.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thomas, my oldest at 22, likes cars. As long as they crank and the A/C works. Like his brother Daniel, I showed him how to change the oil in his car (Honda Element) early on. He gave me his complete attention during the whole process and when we got through he said "now I'll know what they are doing when I pay somebody to change my oil". After nearly 5 years Thomas graduates this year from Jacksonville State University (on a full scholarship) with a double major in engineering. He's not a big fan of getting deep off into the Qjet in the GTO, the look on his face tells that story.

Daniel, my youngest at 20, loves any car. Changes his Tundra's oil, rotates his own tires, does the brakes etc. He does the same on his girlfriends Altima. Offer up a ride in the GTO and he's always ready. His love is a late model Mustang and will no doubt have one at some point. He's a college junior at JSU (on a full scholarship) this year. I got the GTO when Daniel was about 5-6 and took him on a solo ride the night I picked the car up. I stopped the car on a dark county road and hammered on the gas. The tire (the posi was shot) went to smoke and with Flowmasters the exhaust/intake was making a racket. Daniel had never experienced such before. His mouth required stitches at both corners he laughed and grinned so much. He also ratted me out to Glenda IMMEDIATELY after we got back......... "Daddy slid the tires!!!!" (referring to my burnout)

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator67 View Post
My 12 year old daughter asked my 10 year old son if he has a black 67 Impala in his box of Hot Wheels.
Does she watch Supernatural? It's my favorite show. They drive a black 67 Impala 4 door

I don't have kids, but I like to think I'm the reason my younger brother likes Firebirds lol.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Red face

My daughter Caroline, 14 years old now, has the hots for all the newer pony cars - Mustangs, Camaros and Challengers . . .

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 07-17-2015, 10:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
She wants a WRX turbo. She's due for a baby in January, so we'll see how her plans change!
My son has one of those. He has the wagon so there's the answer for your daughter. He loves it but he also loves the Pontiacs as he was raised in my house.
He's in San Diego and he regularly sends me pics of nice Pontiacs he spots on the street.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeraven View Post
Does she watch Supernatural? It's my favorite show. They drive a black 67 Impala 4 door

I don't have kids, but I like to think I'm the reason my younger brother likes Firebirds lol.
ah-haa! Mystery solved. Yes she does watch that show. Her best friend's dad has a 65 Impala convertible…I thought that's where she got the idea, but I was confused about why she was so specific about wanting a 67 and that she didn't want a convertible…he also has an Iso Grifo which is so much nicer. Now it all makes sense. In fact, last year she asked for a TARDIS…LOL

Anyways, I'm pleased that she covets a 4 door.

It's funny, you mention your influence on your bother. My brother is 10 years younger than me and he influenced my taste in cars. I was more into A bodies until he bought this TA in the early 80's…

Old 07-17-2015, 10:34 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Landis View Post
take him to the Pure Stock Musclecar Drag Races in Michigan...fun and excitement for kids of ALL ages!!!
I did exactly that last September with my grandson. He had a steadier hand than I do for the vid. He enjoyed, but he's still a ricer. I lost.

https://youtu.be/T05xkmioBko