Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-20-2015, 01:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Battery disconnect for street car - Pos or Neg wire?

Silly question, but is this simple type of battery disconnect supposed to be connected to the Positive or Negative terminal on the battery? I'm reading all the near fatal fires/shorts/melting wire issues and thinking that it should be connected to the positive terminal and unscrewed as often as is convenient and practical to be on the safe side. Right?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hfm-batktw/overview/

469, M21, 3.42

Old 07-20-2015, 01:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Negitive that is where mine is about 3 years.

79 Trans AM 406 #12 heads Torker II intake Crower 60210 750 holley vac. sec. T400 3500 Stall 3:73:1 rear. ECMTTFMFers. IHTTFMFers.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Positive on mine for about a decade.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When the Camaro was an autocross car it was on the negative side also for 10 years.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 07-20-2015, 02:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine is on the pos because in the case of needed disconnect you may be grounding somewhere else even though the cable is disconnected from the battery. Say if something had fallen onto the batt or if the batt broke and became unattached.

69 Firebird-462/Edel round ports/currently running the Holley Sniper/4sp/3.23posi/Deluxe Int/pwr st/vintage air/4wl disc( a work in progress-always )

http://youtu.be/eaWBd3M9MN4
Old 07-20-2015, 03:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebob View Post
Mine is on the pos because in the case of needed disconnect you may be grounding somewhere else even though the cable is disconnected from the battery. Say if something had fallen onto the batt or if the batt broke and became unattached.
^^^^this^^^

Old 07-20-2015, 03:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I vote positive. Removing the negative terminal won't do any good if the battery finds somewhere else to ground.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm going to switch mine over to Pos... as soon as I put the battery back in the car

469, M21, 3.42

Old 07-20-2015, 04:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris65LeMans View Post
I vote positive. Removing the negative terminal won't do any good if the battery finds somewhere else to ground.
Right on !!
Or any other ground wire !!!

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 07-20-2015, 04:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default use the negative post on the battery

Adam
Here's my on this matter. I assume you are using a top post design battery (not side posts). If you were to measure the inside diameter of the battery disconnect device (where is mounts to the battery post) and the outside diameter of the post on the battery disconnect device (where the battery cable gets re-attached) you will see the diameter of these two points are slightly smaller then the negative battery post and the negative battery cable. The battery disconnect device will NOT fit over the positive post without distorting it and the positive battery cable will be too large to "clamp" on the post of the battery disconnect device. That fact alone convinced me what battery post the disconnect should be on.
That said I have these devices on the negative posts of my two cars.
Here's another "plus" (see what I did there? lol) for using the disconnect on the negative terminal..

Scenario # 1 If the disconnect device is mounted to the Pos. terminal than all grounds still return to the battery via grounds straps etc.. IF you accidently touch the positive terminal with a tool, keys, whatever and bridge across to the fender or any other metal parts then be ready for nice shock or at least a mini fireworks display. This is 1000 times more likely to happen than "the battery finding somewhere else to ground"

Scenario # 2 If the negative post has the disconnect device there are NO grounds back to the battery and if you bridged the positive post to the fender etc.. NOTHING would happen as there is no circuit path back to the battery.
By the way, this thinking goes along with the reason why you ALWAYS disconnect the negative terminal first when changing a battery and ALWAYS put the negative terminal on last when re-attaching. That reason being is because once you disconnect the Negative terminal you can safely remove the Positive without worrying that the tool you're using will touch metal as you undo the clamping bolt.

Old 07-20-2015, 04:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I could tell you a story about that, okay I will, I had a twin turbo Porsche I build with a Rennegade kit. Put it together, forgot to add ground straps. One day I connect the positive cable to take it for a ride, get in the car and start to crank it. I noticed it was cranking slow, when I got out of the car, I saw a small fire. I opened the lid put out the fire. The car grounded thru the ground strap of the Msd ignition box. A $350.00 mistake. Added 3 ground straps after that not a problem. I always dis connect the positive.

Old 07-20-2015, 04:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The reason track cars disconnect the positive beacuse it shuts everything down. No chance of the fuel pump or ignition running with out power.

Old 07-20-2015, 04:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't really like that kind of disconnect. It's OK to safeguard your car when stored...
But if you get a big dead short things get very hot in a hurry...making it hard to touch...
that's why wires burn!!!
JMO...

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 07-20-2015, 04:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSPONT View Post
The reason track cars disconnect the positive beacuse it shuts everything down. No chance of the fuel pump or ignition running with out power.
Ummm, there would be no power through those devices either without a return path to the battery negative post.
Either way (neg or pos disconnect) opens the battery circuit but as the OP asked "what terminal does the battery disconnect go on" he was referring to the device's picture he posted. That's why I gave the answers I did.

Old 07-20-2015, 04:53 PM
Boost Engineer

I just disconnect the ground cable with a simple box end wrench, put a PCV "cap" over the negative post, and call it a day. The negative post is totally protected from seeing a ground to the body or wiring so the positive cable cannot make a circuit.
The ground cable terminal drops below the level of the top of the battery.

Switches sometimes fail in a "On" position or get left connected by people forgetting.

If you have an open circuit to the Negative post on the battery, impossible to complete a circuit to the battery.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 07-20-2015, 04:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
I just disconnect the ground cable with a simple box end wrench, put a PCV "cap" over the negative post, and call it a day. The negative post is totally protected from seeing a ground to the body or wiring so the positive cable cannot make a circuit.
The ground cable terminal drops below the level of the top of the battery.

Switches sometimes fail in a "On" position or get left connected by people forgetting.

If you have an open circuit to the Negative post on the battery, impossible to complete a circuit to the battery.

Tom V.
Even better and cheaper too. Cap on the negative post is genius too.

Old 07-20-2015, 05:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

what nytrainer said. With NO cable connecting the negative post to the car's metal, dropping a metal tool, etc. onto the positive post and car metal will do no damage, nothing. On the other hand, disconnecting just the positive post still provides a path for a short if a wrench, etc falls on the positive post to ANY metal.

In the case mentioned how the MSD box provided a ground...impossible. If there was no connection back to the battery negative post, that could not happen, therefore the neg post was not totally disconnected.

I vote for disconnecting the negative post....that's what I do.

George

Old 07-20-2015, 05:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So if a short started, like the two threads I read earlier today (one of them being NYtrainer's experience) and all of a sudden the car started smoldering, burning the main POS wire going to the starter, for example, and I ran over and unscrewed the negative using the part pictured above, then I would stop that melting of wires instantly? (assuming it's not actually on fire yet, but just melting the insulation)

Maybe two disconnects should be used

469, M21, 3.42

Old 07-20-2015, 05:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Whenever having to do most any electrical repair/replacement, GM's 1st instruction is;

Remove negative battery cable.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 07-20-2015, 05:55 PM
Boost Engineer

If the BATTERY NEGATIVE TERMINAL has no connection to the vehicle wiring or chassis then it is impossible for the battery to conduct electrons thru the wiring.
Electrons travel from the negative post to the positive post.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.