Old 09-19-2015, 02:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default PLASTIKOTE--NEVER AGAIN

Just wondering how many out there have had the poor luck with the Plastikote Pontiac Blue#208 spray cans. Only a few years ago this product was the tops in color match and NEVER EVER A PROBLEM with the spray can. The latest can with the grey plastic lock ring and the crappy nozzle, actually is worse than the one design just before this. 5 years ago you could use it and turn upside down to clear the head and come back to it months later with perfect results. I now have 4 half used cans that won`t work and I will absolutely never use the crap again. One is only a month old! I can`t be the only one out there. Back in the 60`s, the company Testors created candy colors that came in small spray cans. Those of you that recall those glorious days probably recall the things also never working or even leaking. Sure looks like the same thing.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I never had any problems with the any of the Testors spay cans. Plastikote... yes, same as you. Never had any problems years ago but their spay cans sure are crap now.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had a similar issue with #227. Wouldn't spray the next day!

Old 09-20-2015, 07:29 PM

Yes. I have had the same problem. The quality of the finish is excellent and lasts.They do clog up. Does anyone make a brush on paint to touch up those hot spots on the intake manifold that works?

Old 09-20-2015, 07:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Same here, I have several "new" 1/2 cans of the metallic blue.
I keep swapping nozzles in an attempt to use it up.
Total sh!t anymore.
I'm thinking about using the POR15 on my next build;
http://www.por15.com/ENGINE-ENAMEL_p_47.html

Old 09-20-2015, 08:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Duplicolor seems to have the spray cans down to an art. Is their DE1610 Pontiac Blue a good choice?

Old 09-20-2015, 08:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I never liked POR-15 products. I have used KBS coatings and really like there "Motor Coater" paint line (acrylic enamel). I've used the metallic blue on the block, heads, intake, etc. and really like the way it lays. They also have a line of extreme heat cast iron color paints, etc.
Forgot where I read it but I understand this company was formed when a Chemist left POR-15 to start his own company. Worth a look anyway...
Here's the site address http://www.kbs-coatings.com/motor-coater-info.html

Old 09-20-2015, 09:24 PM
Senior Chief

Default engine enamel

The best engine enamel I've found is

http://www.hirschauto.com/Paint/departments/1/

I brush it on my 64 block, heads, etc. and it flows out smooth with no brush marks..

The color is dead on, at least for 64 - 65 engines.

64 GTO convertible, gone but not forgotten
76 CB750K
72 CB350F

" why yes, I am old school, so what?"
Old 09-21-2015, 09:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto_ron View Post
The best engine enamel I've found is

http://www.hirschauto.com/Paint/departments/1/

I brush it on my 64 block, heads, etc. and it flows out smooth with no brush marks..

The color is dead on, at least for 64 - 65 engines.
Evidently they have changed their formula. Several years ago we tried their product for a 65 engine and the color was off.

I've had the problem with the new style Plasticote cans too. In fact my local jobber has changed over to Duplicolor just for this reason. He was getting to many complaints and returns. I used to have it custom mixed in acrylic enamel in gallons when we were doing so many restorations and touch ups, but I'm not doing anymore.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 09-22-2015, 04:02 PM
Senior Chief

If you're thinking of switching to Hirsch from Plastickote please note that the two colors do not match (for the '64 engine color at least).
Hirsch's blue is a couple of shades darker than Plastickote and is noticeable if you are, for example, touching up over the Plastickote with Hirsch.
However, when painting 2 different parts (even next to each other) that have discernible lines, it is hardly noticeable.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:48 PM
Suspended

I stopped using Plasticote paints on my 73 about 5 years ago because the color for the 73 engine were to dark. I went to VTH because the color was spot on for the light blue for the 73's. I haven't used it in so long I can't say anything about if it clogs or not but the color is not right.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:30 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Spray cans just do not hold up. I used automotive acrylic urethane on one engine and it is holding up nicely. My spray can job is worthless. If you can mix the color in Rustoleum brush on or the Hirsch enamel, that is a good bet. If you do as GTO RON did with a brush and a good quality enamel, it will give a nice long lasting finish. I did a set of Ford valve covers in gloss black Rustoleum after priming them. You use a good brush and lay it on nice and thick. When it flows out and dries it looks like enameling. The Rolls Royce guys do that and you have seen some of their engines. They look super.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Plastikote

A few months ago I was trying to get one of my partial cans to spray. Fiddled around with cleaning nozzle, trying nozzles from different cans, etc. but never could get anything to spray. Gave up and left the can on workbench. Next day wall behind work bench and most everything within 3 feet of the can was Pontiac blue. I was not amused. Fortunately, none of the cars were close enough to get hit.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That post will DEFINITELY get my attention!! Already taking precautions. THANKS!!!! "Bill"!

Old 09-27-2015, 10:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default So...

how far off is Krylon Harbor Blue? Too dark or too light?

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by War eagle View Post
Duplicolor seems to have the spray cans down to an art. Is their DE1610 Pontiac Blue a good choice?
They just don't make things like they use too!

I would use this old rattle can to spray engines and related 66 GTO engine parts back in the 80's. Just turn up side down to clear the nozzel and use it again months/years later with no issues.

Bright Beauty by DUPLI-COLOR PRODUCTS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1980 GTO Engine Paint.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	409178   Click image for larger version

Name:	1980 GTO Engine Paint (1).jpg
Views:	47
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	409179  

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Landis View Post
how far off is Krylon Harbor Blue? Too dark or too light?
Karolyn typically makes good spray cans and paint. Any feedback on color match for 65 ?

2016 Chevy SS; Sold
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
2008 Infiniti G35x
Old 09-29-2015, 02:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool Yeah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Doran View Post
Karolyn typically makes good spray cans and paint. Any feedback on color match for 65 ?
I've been using it for awhile but my '64 has only been in popular vote.

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In case you want to give the KBS engine paints a try I have attached a 15% off link. I recently bought some paints from them and they sent this to me. http://kbscoatings.refr.cc/3BDSJTH

Old 10-01-2015, 02:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

While I think the transition to the new top on the Plasticoat cans didn't improve anything, I haven't had a problem with them.

Guess the good news is they spray in just about any position, which means the bad news is you can't turn the can upside down to clear it out like the old cans. What I do on all my nozzles is to hit them with a blast of brake clean after spraying. This cleans up the nozzle, and while not as good as also being able to clear out the spray tube, I've come back to the new style cans after several months and had no problem finishing out the paint.

I write a date on the bottom of the can when I buy it, and then another date when I first start using the can. On some of the old style cans of colors that I don't use very often (like the yellow on the carb springs), I'm still successfully using cans that are over 6 years old.