Old 11-02-2015, 03:00 PM

Default Whats up with these water pumps

After I remembered to set the gap on the divider plate, I decided to check against the old pump. Totally different vanes and vane heights. the new one is a Federated reman. I really didnt want to put it in after I saw but nobody in town had one. I just have a feeling that flow will be compromised. What do you guys think. The motor is a 70 Catalina 400, currently in my 66 lemans, AC Car with 4 Row
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WPImpellars.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	412042  

Old 11-02-2015, 03:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sure makes one ask the question....."why don't they just make it like the originals???????"

Crazy.

George

Old 11-02-2015, 03:21 PM

Something else; the divider plate was clearanced really good to the old pump owth the larger vanes. I had to pound the heck out of it to get it close to the "shorter" vanes. shorter in length AND heighth.

Old 11-02-2015, 04:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The 11 bolt pump on the left was rebuilt with the short vane impeller that was used on factory 301 and 265 builds. There are at least 5 different factory cast impellers used from '63-81 on factory Pontiac V8 waterpumps.

Old 11-02-2015, 05:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

not sure what summit carries, but they are very close to you and should see delivery in a day or two. I am up by Erie and usually get stuff the next day..

Old 11-02-2015, 07:49 PM

First, I am totally amazed that olé pinion head knows they made 5 different impellers. My hats to you. So should I have the store order in another in the hopes is has the bigger diameter one? Also did I read somewhere here that Evans isn't making pumps anymore? Lastly is there someone I can send mine out too.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Check out this thread, post 1221
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...r+pump&page=62

Old 11-04-2015, 12:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I must be lucky. I've owned Pontiacs and changed water pumps on them for over 50 years and never had a problem.

Old 11-04-2015, 03:42 PM
Senior Chief

Arthur Gould in NY does a great job. arthurgouldrebuilders.com

Old 11-04-2015, 04:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can't you just pull the vanes off and press it on the other pump? I have never tried it but may have to in the future.

I thought there was someone that did that to get perfect match to the divider plate too without having to pound on it.

Old 11-04-2015, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrt View Post
Can't you just pull the vanes off and press it on the other pump? I have never tried it but may have to in the future.

I thought there was someone that did that to get perfect match to the divider plate too without having to pound on it.
why try...If your not concerned with casting numbers and dates, just get another parts store 11 bolt reman pump with a cast impeller.

For those hardcore restorers that are concerned about original castings and dates, I have select Pontiac & BBC wp cores rebuilt 5-6 times a year, also maintain a large supply of original mid 60's-73 dated cores.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
why try...If your not concerned with casting numbers and dates, just get another parts store 11 bolt reman pump with a cast impeller.

For those hardcore restorers that are concerned about original castings and dates, I have select Pontiac & BBC wp cores rebuilt 5-6 times a year, also maintain a large supply of original mid 60's-73 dated cores.
I talked to the buyer of the local auto parts store chain. He ordered another one after not being able to get the suppliers to understand the issue. The new pump camp one same with the smaller impellar. I am now wondering if the small one is a new casting?

Old 01-20-2016, 09:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Find a pump remanufactured by A1Cardone. They are known for being a not so good water pump rebuilder, but may be using good impellers on their NEW "Select" pumps. You may just get online and look at pics of different brands of pump. Dont be surprised to see a lot of different brands all looking the same. I think A1 makes a lot of pumps and puts them in different boxes. Check on RockAuto.com and look at their pumps if you click on pumps, then click on INFO you can look at the backs and see the impellers. I think Gates uses good impellers. NAPA Tru-Flow pumps are Gates.

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
Bill Nye.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:57 PM
Suspended

If it were me I'd just take the pump to a machine shop & have the old big impeller put on the new pump housing. It can be done very easy & won't cost you much to have it done.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When needing a new pump I could not find a pump in a auto store with a cast impeller.Tom

Old 01-21-2016, 02:47 PM
Suspended

Ebay with pics is the only way so you can ask questions about the pump your ordering.

Old 01-21-2016, 06:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gates (NAPA rebrands it as Tru-Flow) 43102. It has the wider fins on the impeller. RockAuto and NAPA carry it.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Red face

... of course one could chase decades old generic waterpumps or todays Chinesium waterpumps with who knows what impeller, OR one could ship that original wp to yours truly, and have that correct casting dated waterpump rebuilt at a very reasonable cost with THE correct cast impeller, not an impeller sourced from who knows what and then machined down to supposedly fit.

Will note again, there are 5 different cast impellers used in Pontiac waterpumps from '63-81, the first style 8 bolt impellers were used for a reason, the 301-265 impellers were used for a reason.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
OR one could ship that original wp to yours truly, and have that correct casting dated waterpump rebuilt at a very reasonable cost with THE correct cast impeller, not an impeller sourced from who knows what and then machined down to supposedly fit.
If I was doing a numbers correct build, I'd definitely choose this route. Not even a choice if you ask me.

My big cars and Luxury Lemans 350-2bbls no one cares about get the Gates part for $40 and some clearance work on my part ;-)