Old 11-29-2015, 07:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Headliner

I just picked up a 80 TA, and it needs a headliner, I was looking at the Parts Place replace headliners on ebay, my color code is 62B, Camel Cloth, and they only list it as Tan. Does anyone know if the color is correct and if these fit correctly? Thanks

Last edited by pggto; 11-29-2015 at 07:47 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

While I can't answer your question, I am curious how this works out for you. I have a camel tan headliner that is started to separate in my 78 Makes me sad, but it seems to be the fate of all of these headliners. Just a matter of when.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 11-29-2015, 10:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd say there is a pretty Good chance....that the color will be WRONG....

Eye Candy......garage band?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUPcHxHRx3s

Go full screen & turn it UP!
Old 11-30-2015, 12:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pggto View Post
I just picked up a 80 TA, and it needs a headliner, I was looking at the Parts Place replace headliners on ebay, my color code is 62B, Camel Cloth, and they only list it as Tan. Does anyone know if the color is correct and if these fit correctly? Thanks
A TA headliner should not be cloth. It should be perforated vinyl. And it would be tan, but Camel Tan. I also wouldn't trust the color to be correct from the Parts Place. You could contact them and ask for a sample of the material to see how close it is, if you want to.

I'd contact Pete at fbodywarehouse.com , who has restored many of these cars and sells headliners in his parts store. I think if anyone would have the correct Camel Tan color, it would be him since he knows how it's supposed to look. I'd get a sample from him.

Old 11-30-2015, 12:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand73Am View Post
A TA headliner should not be cloth. It should be perforated vinyl. And it would be tan, but Camel Tan. I also wouldn't trust the color to be correct from the Parts Place. You could contact them and ask for a sample of the material to see how close it is, if you want to.

I'd contact Pete at fbodywarehouse.com , who has restored many of these cars and sells headliners in his parts store. I think if anyone would have the correct Camel Tan color, it would be him since he knows how it's supposed to look. I'd get a sample from him.
The headliner is perforated, the code I looked up online indicated 62B to be Camel Cloth, I will check some other websites. I will look it to fbodywarehouse, thanks for the tip.

Old 11-30-2015, 03:09 AM
Suspended

pggto, if you order a headliner you will get just that the head liner & not the card board backer which it's attached to. You have to remove your old cloth headliner from the cardboard backer clean all the foam off of it & prep it so you can reinstall the headliner your buying. The material will came with the foam on the material & it's your job to put it on your cardboard backer & then put that complete unit up in the car. A friend of mine has done 3 of them & thats the way they come. But GRAND73AM is correct they will send you a sample of the material if you contact them & ask for a sample so you can match it to your present headliner.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:10 PM
Suspended

Get one off Pete FBW. I had a camel roll shipped around the world and it's perfect for my 78. It was also cheaper than those who also listed them but couldn't assure me the correct colour.
However the tan interiors changed a bit in later years, may have been a few shades of roof too. I believe a cloth interior would still get a perforated vinyl roof lining.
My original board is in good nick but a few ragged corners and edges where the side locating tabs are, or the sunvisor mounts. I'll contact glue some reinforcing sheet plastic on the back for these. And then drop to an upholstery place. Im sure i could do it, but won't settle for less than perfect!

Last edited by Aus78Formula; 11-30-2015 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:11 PM
Suspended

Make sure your board is in as good of shape as it can be as that will give you the best looking headliner when done. The base is what makes it look the best. The better the board the better the looking headliner.

Old 12-01-2015, 01:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The headliner I was looking at had the ABS backer board to replace the the original board.

This is what I was looking at:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/350318757625...S:1123&vxp=mtr

Old 12-01-2015, 05:29 PM
Suspended

I know a few that have used that one but they had bad luck with it because the PLASTIC used is so thin it breaks very easy & had to be repaired & then fit in very carefully as not to break in again when doing the install.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:10 AM

I would reuse the original cardboard backer unless it is just too far gone. As others have said just clean the old foam residue off. Also I would get the camel tan perforated vinyl, unless absolute original is your goal. The vinyl looks and lasts so much better than the cloth IMHO and experience.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks guys! I will use the original back board and replace the perforated vinyl.

Old 12-02-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus78Formula View Post
Get one off Pete FBW. I had a camel roll shipped around the world and it's perfect for my 78. It was also cheaper than those who also listed them but couldn't assure me the correct colour.
However the tan interiors changed a bit in later years, may have been a few shades of roof too. I believe a cloth interior would still get a perforated vinyl roof lining.
My original board is in good nick but a few ragged corners and edges where the side locating tabs are, or the sunvisor mounts. I'll contact glue some reinforcing sheet plastic on the back for these. And then drop to an upholstery place. Im sure i could do it, but won't settle for less than perfect!
And who is Pete FBW?

Old 12-02-2015, 06:49 PM
Suspended

From Fbodywarehouse aka Muscle car bolts.

Old 12-04-2015, 01:59 PM

Awe Fbody Warehouse. 79ta.com also offers it.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:07 PM
Suspended

New forum?!
I still have 2 incorrect shade camel tan parcel trays from them, can't even get rid of them. And I shipped them around the world.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

HAs anyone ever successfully restored an original? I was thinking of taking one of mine apart next year & see if I could separate the vinyl, clean off the foam & glue it back down with something that wouldn't seep out the perforations. Maybe thats not possible, but all the headliners in my 2nd gens are original & nice, just getting to the point where they are meeting the foam deterioration so many other eventually end up with.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 12-05-2015, 11:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I wonder if original headliners had foam? I have a low mileage 79 and there doesn't seem to be any foam under the headliner material. Just seems to be the perforated vinyl directly on the board.

I think the trick to keeping the adhesive from coming through the perforation is after spraying the back of the material and the board, let the adhesive dry. Then stick them together. The adhesive is supposed to work that way.

Old 12-05-2015, 09:59 PM

FWIW, I cleaned the oem cardboard with a palm sander, works great.

Applied the new perforated vinyl with foam using 3M spray adhesive.

It tacks quick so be ready to roll it flat. Use even, light pressure or the

glue will seep up thru the foam & out the perforations or could make the

headliner wavy. Take your time, good luck.

Old 12-06-2015, 09:54 AM
Senior Chief

http://www.smsautofabrics.com/ this place is as close to nos look fabric.