Old 02-11-2018, 02:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would be interested in a side by side comparison of cables;
since 70 & 71 used the same throttle cable bracket, and the same throttle arm levers i had always assumed that they used the same throttle cables...

i know with a degree of certainty that the later ones work on the early cars...
but since my car is partially take apart, i am going to compar the cable i have had on my car versus the ones i have bought (most have been re-sold or used, but i normally keep one spare for myself)...

i am unaware of any practical difference between a 73 and a 74 cable.

if my memory serves me correct, the 2bbl cables are the longer ones.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 02-19-2018, 08:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well I received the repro 1970 throttle cable from our sponsor last week. I installed it yesterday on my 70 TA.

This is a nice repro cable and is very close to my original PQ throttle cable. But is was not a direct plug and play replacement. It required some modifications to make it work. Here is a pic of the differences and what I had to modify:

(1) The hole in the end is bigger than the original cable, but not so much that it will cause a problem.

(2) The plastic flair had to be trimmed down, in order to achieve wide open throttle (WOT).

(3) The inner cable sleeve had to be trimmed down to achieve WOT.

(4) The retaining tabs had to be trimmed so they could expand outward enough to clear the thickness of the OEM throttle cable bracket. Same on the rear clip going into the firewall.

(5) The overall length of the repro cable is shorter than the original PQ cable, but is still fits from the throttle cable bracket to the firewall. Actually IMO the PQ cable length is too long, but it is was what was used originally.

(6) The large black rubber washer had to be cut off so the rear part of the cable could be installed into the firewall opening.

(7) The white plastic clip does not interfere with the throttle operation as well at the second crimped on metal ball. So I decided to remove the white plastic clip and leave the second crimped on metal ball.

After all that, the cable works great and looks very original. But as you can see it is not a direct replacement for an original PQ throttle cable. Maybe some day they might actually make a part that is actually correct. Just my two cents. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-------------------------------------
1966 GTO 4 speed Hardtop Alabama car (Marina Turquoise w turquoise interior)
1970 TA 4 speed Canadian car (Lucerne Blue w bright blue interior)
Old 02-19-2018, 09:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455hota View Post
Well I received the repro 1970 throttle cable from our sponsor last week. I installed it yesterday on my 70 TA.

This is a nice repro cable and is very close to my original PQ throttle cable. But is was not a direct plug and play replacement. It required some modifications to make it work. Here is a pic of the differences and what I had to modify:

(1) The hole in the end is bigger than the original cable, but not so much that it will cause a problem.

(2) The plastic flair had to be trimmed down, in order to achieve wide open throttle (WOT).

(3) The inner cable sleeve had to be trimmed down to achieve WOT.

(4) The retaining tabs had to be trimmed so they could expand outward enough to clear the thickness of the OEM throttle cable bracket. Same on the rear clip going into the firewall.

(5) The overall length of the repro cable is shorter than the original PQ cable, but is still fits from the throttle cable bracket to the firewall. Actually IMO the PQ cable length is too long, but it is was what was used originally.

(6) The large black rubber washer had to be cut off so the rear part of the cable could be installed into the firewall opening.

(7) The white plastic clip does not interfere with the throttle operation as well at the second crimped on metal ball. So I decided to remove the white plastic clip and leave the second crimped on metal ball.

After all that, the cable works great and looks very original. But as you can see it is not a direct replacement for an original PQ throttle cable. Maybe some day they might actually make a part that is actually correct. Just my two cents. Hope this helps.

Seems to me that if you are going to go through the effort to make a repro part, you might as well take the time to do it right.

1978 Y88 Trans Am W72/auto
1979 10th Anniversary Trans Am
1984 Trans Am
1993 Trans Am
1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am
2001 10th anniversary Firehawk #104
2006 GTO
Old 02-19-2018, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tas4me View Post
Seems to me that if you are going to go through the effort to make a repro part, you might as well take the time to do it right.
In 1978 I ordered a cable for a customers 1970 Formula 400 . By then some parts were "combined" and the cable was too short, but I made it work. the plastic holders were wrong too. That said its possible the repop was made from a "later made" GM part, that isn't correct..., or wasn't correct to begin with

Old 02-19-2018, 09:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I would gladly lend my original PQ cable to whomever is making these repro cables, so they have a correct original to use as a guide for an accurate reproduction.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455hota View Post
I would gladly lend my original PQ cable to whomever is making these repro cables, so they have a correct original to use as a guide for an accurate reproduction.

I think a company in Taiwan that works for Balkamp makes them

Old 02-19-2018, 10:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

So maybe they can fly me over to Taiwan for a business meeting!! Lol just me and my PQ cable!!

Old 02-20-2018, 06:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for posting your findings Steve. At least you were able to get it to work. And, yeah, that is an ongoing complaint/concern we have about repro parts.