THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-02-2016, 06:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Homebrew anti-theft ideas?

When I get back to the US, I'm going to have to park my 69 on the street in front of my house. Can't use the driveway or garage so that's not an option in any scenario.

The car is primered black and it's pretty beat looking primer at that, not like those nice black primer jobs that are like yesterday fresh. I like it that way for the record I will be keeping an outdoor cover on the car at night most of the time. A GPS tracker hidden in the car is a no brainer. BUT I want to avoid it driving off in the first place.

I use to be in the habit of just pulling the coil>distributor wire and keeping it in the house. I'm thinking I may do the same again. Maybe a battery disconnect on my negative terminal too, but that's easily enough discovered.

What are some things you guys have done to keep your car from being started and driven off? I'm curious how creative others are since I'm not haha!

Alex

Old 09-02-2016, 07:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's much easier to steal a car with a tow truck. To combat that, I used to crank the steering wheel all the way to one side and put "the club" on.

A car that won't roll straight will slow 'em down a little bit.

I'm not sure where my clubs went.... Maybe an antique store?

Old 09-02-2016, 07:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I suspect that putting a cover on the car will attract more attention than if you leave it uncovered.

I hate car alarms, since so many of them seem to have false alarms on my street in the middle of the night, but it may be worth installing one.

Old 09-02-2016, 07:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Actually in that neighborhood lots of cars on street have covers on them. Plus the sun damage from the UV in CA is killer and the car has a new interior and I'm putting a new dashboard top in it too.

Most auto thefts in my neck of the woods are drive away, not tow trucks. Only time a pickup even is used will be for stealing motorcycles in 30 seconds.

I feel the same way about car alarms, plus I do NOT want to hack up the factory wiring. Not an option to me on this car.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

park on the lawn

Old 09-02-2016, 08:35 PM
Senior Chief

Rent a enclosed storage spot, leaving on the street would keep me up all night and worried all day at work. To many dirtbags out there mister !
John

Old 09-02-2016, 08:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You guys lol. Not gonna park on the lawn or put it into a storage unit. I want the car there for me to tweak on when I want and drive when I want. My only other transportation is my Ducati and I want to be able to choose any time I want.

I'm just looking to hear of clever ways that people have disabled their cars over the years.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
park on the lawn
My thoughts as well.Side swiped by a drunk or cell phone user would suck.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by indymanjoe View Post
My thoughts as well.Side swiped by a drunk or cell phone user would suck.
No worries there, a neighbors welding truck is much wider and I'll be parking behind it for cover haha

Old 09-02-2016, 08:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just buy good insurance and have it insured for enough.Tom

Old 09-02-2016, 09:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I plan on doing an agreed value plan thru the same company I used for my 56 vette. That still doesn't prevent it from driving off tho.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Install an inline fuse or circuit breaker in the ignition circuit where only you know where it is. Remove the fuse or open the circit breaker when you aren't wanting to use the vehicle. We used to do this all the time on aircraft headed for the Bahamas or Mexico.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 09-02-2016, 10:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If your wheels have holes in them (mags) a log chain, minimum 3/8", or a 1/2" swagged steel looped cable, with a circular hardened padlock, either thru 2 of your wheels, or attached to a phone pole, or tree will certainly deter them, or at least slow them down.

To minimize scratching of the wheel, a plastic or rubber sleeve over the chain/cable.

Circular cut resistant padlock picture:

This idea may not be for everyone, but it will be effective.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 09-02-2016 at 10:33 PM.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If you have an electric fuel pump. Use one of the crash sensors that disable the fuel pump on a modern car. Mount it in the trunk. There is a manual reset for the switch. Just rap the side of that sensor when you park it. Car cannot run without a working fuel pump. And it will not go far with the small amount of fuel in the carb bowl.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A Ford crash sensor should be easy to find in a junk yard.
If you ground the coil negative, it ain't gonna start.
I like the post about cabling the wheels. That will make flat-bedding it harder.

Old 09-03-2016, 12:13 AM
Senior Chief

gps tracker,

Old 09-03-2016, 08:29 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The way I used when I was in the Army and had to leave it for quite some time was a Grant quick disconnect steering wheel. When I left it I popped the steering wheel off and there is no way to steer the car. I think it was around 45 bucks and I took it off whenever I went to park it in an iffy neighborhood or had it sitting when I wasn't aroound. Turn the wheels in all the way and pop it off.

Old 09-03-2016, 08:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Hopefully, you don't smoke?????

Remove the cigarette lighter power cable and safely isolate it so it can't touch anything.
Run the coil active to the cigarette lighter so it is active only when the lighter is pushed in. When you leave the car, you simply pull the lighter back to the normal, off, position.
A thief is not going to start pushing the lighter in to try and fire the engine.
If you make the wiring under the hood look "normal" it's very hard to fathom out what is wrong.
Remember, if some really wants your car, they will take it but most thieves are opportunist. Make it difficult and if they can't get it going in 20 or 30 seconds, they will get out of it and leave it.
Ian

Old 09-03-2016, 10:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I use these on my car and trailer. Easy to take off or put on, less than five seconds. Plastic coated so won't scratch wheels. Cheap too, about $20 ea. A locking lug nut to prevent wheel removal would be a plus.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-4-Wheel-...VXdwDU&vxp=mtr

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel clamp.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	436010  

66 GTO, 495, M22, Strange S-60 w/4.10
Sold new at Royal Pontiac.

70 Formula
Old 09-03-2016, 12:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

+1...Ignition kill switch hidden - the car turns over but will not fire. Most aren't smart enough to realize that it isn't just a hard-starting hot rod.

In a stick car - a brace between the clutch pedal and the floor with a lock is another option I have seen.