Old 09-17-2016, 02:18 AM

Default steering column differences

Will a 75 trans am tilt column work in a 77 trans am do they mount differently wiring ??? currently car has a standard non tilt unit any help greatly appreciated

Old 09-17-2016, 05:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There are differences but all doable. Backwards and forwards. With slight part interchange from column to column you can put 81 columns in 70 cars and vice versa. Meaning any sec gen.

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 09-17-2016, 09:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The wiring should plug up the same.

There might be some difference with the intermediate shafts as far as the way it connects to the column, and to the steering box. So, I'd get the 75 intermediate shaft along with the 75 column if you can, just in case you need it.

This doesn't apply to your specific question, but around late 78, and in 79, there was a change in the steering gear box spline stub size and they changed the way the intermediate shaft connects to the steering column. So, having the correct intermediate shaft for the column and steering box connections is necessary. You'd probably have to change to the later steering box to match the intermediate shaft in those cases. That's unless it's possible to swap the bottom end of an early intermediate shaft onto the later shaft, so it would connect to an early steering gear box, while connecting to the later column? I never tried it, so don't know, but it's a possibility. And 79-81's put the headlight dimmer switch on the column. Something to think about if you found a 79-81 tilt donor car.

Old 09-17-2016, 07:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The harmonica connector changed sometime between 1975 and 1978, so be wary of that. If you have both side by side, it's easy enough to fix.

Old 09-18-2016, 11:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

70-78 are the same columns for wiring & physical mounting. they have a splined shaft that connects to the steering rod.

late 78 or 79-81 are different where it connects to the rod, its no longer splined & is a "D" shaped end. that will not work on earlier cars with the spline shafts unless you change out the steering rod too.

so yes, a 75 column will work in a 77 car. tilt & non tilt are the same for wiring & mounting.

Old 09-25-2016, 08:49 AM
Senior Chief

i have a 73 or 74 tilt i wana put in a 79. i got the intermedite shaft with the column but not sure on wiring i know the 79 has the dimmer switch on the column anything else i have to change?

Old 09-25-2016, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The lower end of the 73-74 intermediate shaft won't fit your 79 steering box splined stub shaft. The 79 gearbox shaft is smaller in diameter.

Since the intermediate shaft is in 2 pieces, and they slide apart, you might be able to swap the lower half of the 79 shaft on to the 73-74 shaft. So then the lower shaft would fit the 79 box, while the upper half of the shaft would fit the 73-74 column. I don't know for sure that the shaft sections can be interchanged, but it's a possibility. If that doesn't work, you might have to change your 79 steering box to a 78 or older box, so the intermediate shaft will fit.

Can't help you on the wiring, other than just determining which wires go where, and then splicing the old wires into the newer ones.

Personally, I'd just find a 79-81 tilt so everything matches. They're pretty common. There are many on eBay now, if you didn't want to go junkyarding.

You could sell that 73-74 tilt on eBay to someone with those years of car and should be able to get a good price, I'd think.

Old 09-28-2016, 04:08 AM

Going to be a different length.
I see tilt columns on craigslist,all the time,for $100.