Old 10-29-2016, 04:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 9.99 @ 136.80 MPH

Just got a note from Rick Mahoney, their FAST Class Firebird went 9.990 @ 136.80 MPH today with a 1.54 60' time.

That's flat getting it done for a car that uses a stock intake, factory q-jet, factory RAII heads, and must use bias ply tires!

There is a pic of the time slip in another thread over in the "Race" section........Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 10-29-2016, 04:52 PM
Suspended

On a Q-Jet??? I promise I'll never speak badly of one again. Doesn't mean I'll run one, but whatever.....

Old 10-29-2016, 04:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think Jay DeLaigle's 1974 Trans Am also runs FAST competition. His intake is far from 'stock'. It is ported and flowed by Wilson Manifolds with support from Jon Kasse racing engines and SD performance.

Curious, has there been similar work done to Rick's 'stock' intake ?

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 10-29-2016, 05:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Steve,Dave did the heads.Ric Johnson did the short block enough said?Tom

Old 10-29-2016, 05:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That ET is impressive with those tires.

The 60' is probably off at least a tenth in relation to a normal 9.99 ET.

Those MPH's are indicative of a lot faster car.
(shows a lot of HP)

No 10.5" x 15" Radial tire there I bet.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 10-29-2016, 05:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry Sr View Post
On a Q-Jet??? I promise I'll never speak badly of one again. Doesn't mean I'll run one, but whatever.....
Some of the GT Super Stock Pontiacs are running low 9's with a Q-jet.

Old 10-29-2016, 05:32 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyakr View Post
Some of the GT Super Stock Pontiacs are running low 9's with a Q-jet.
This goes pretty far back but I was highly disappointed with the one I tried make work. Very expensive carb to play with at the time and it ended up in the dumpster.

Old 10-29-2016, 05:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry Sr View Post
This goes pretty far back but I was highly disappointed with the one I tried make work. Very expensive carb to play with at the time and it ended up in the dumpster.
Cliff, SMI, and a few other guys can build one for you that will work.

Old 10-29-2016, 05:40 PM
Senior Chief

Geeze that's flyin..nice.

Old 10-29-2016, 05:52 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyakr View Post
Cliff, SMI, and a few other guys can build one for you that will work.
I like having two fuel bowls and it'll never happen. It the car's stock that's different.

Old 10-29-2016, 07:29 PM
Senior Chief

Freaking Awesome, Didn't think you could put up those ETs with a QuadrJet. WOW. Would like to know the rest of his set up.

Old 10-29-2016, 07:30 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
Steve,Dave did the heads.Ric Johnson did the short block enough said?Tom
Very Impressive time and the engine/heads were done by a couple of real PROs.

Congrats to all.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 10-29-2016, 07:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"I like having two fuel bowls and it'll never happen"

How many fuel bowls or the size of them are NOT a player in this deal. With high HP applications and cars that accelerate quickly, you MUST keep the bowl or bowls full at all times. Pretty simple situation, fuel delivery MUST be up to par for what you are doing, if not, carbs with two huge fuel bowls simply become a "crutch" and not the cure with these things.

I did the Q-jet for Ricks Firebird, and actually have done quite a few of them for his other cars and other folks running in Pure Stock and FAST. They are not "special" carburetors, but are selected, built and set-up exactly for what they are doing.

The carburetor is also a small part of a big plan, where the folks building the vehicle hire the best folks in the industry for different contributions, so when it all comes together they are making the required power to run the numbers.......Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 10-29-2016, 09:18 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
"I like having two fuel bowls and it'll never happen"

How many fuel bowls or the size of them are NOT a player in this deal. With high HP applications and cars that accelerate quickly, you MUST keep the bowl or bowls full at all times. Pretty simple situation, fuel delivery MUST be up to par for what you are doing, if not, carbs with two huge fuel bowls simply become a "crutch" and not the cure with these things.

I did the Q-jet for Ricks Firebird, and actually have done quite a few of them for his other cars and other folks running in Pure Stock and FAST. They are not "special" carburetors, but are selected, built and set-up exactly for what they are doing.

The carburetor is also a small part of a big plan, where the folks building the vehicle hire the best folks in the industry for different contributions, so when it all comes together they are making the required power to run the numbers.......Cliff
I'm not knocking anyone Cliff, I sure you know more about it than I do. I kinda curios how big the feed line was and if you altered the inlet on the carb.

Old 10-29-2016, 09:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

FAST requires stock size lines, and we made no modifications to the "inlet" anyplace.....Cliff

Old 10-30-2016, 09:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Very impressive indeed.

Tom posted this in the race section.... "It's 511 CI with 15-1 CR,solid roller 264-264 and 720 lift. Makes 700 HP at 6500."

"...folks building the vehicle hire the best folks in the industry for different contributions, so when it all comes together they are making the required power to run the numbers."

X2

Still would be interested in the amount on intake work.

Old 10-30-2016, 10:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You can bet there was intake work for a F.A.S.T. class car, it's wasn't box stock. As to how much work is anyone's guess unless Rick wants to share.
From the ones I've seen, once the carb is off to have a look inside, there isn't much of anything that looks stock anymore. A a very cool class that I get a real kick out of, seeing what appears to be stock put up impressive numbers.
What the Pontiacs have done in the Pure Stock class is also very impressive, more so than the F.A.S.T. class in my opinion.

Old 10-30-2016, 12:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rick has another 1968 Firebird that runs Pure Stock. It's went 11.30's over 120mph, that is very impressive considering the rules are much tighter than FAST.

For FAST, the engine must "appear stock", and all related components must have the correct factory part numbers for the engine that was used in the car the year it was produced.

So they MUST use a 1968 factory intake manifold, but it could be modified where you can't see any of the work.

I have a "modified" cast iron and an 1971 HO intake that I use on my own engines. They are excellent, and back to back tested against an Edelbrock Performer RPM my iron one outran it by 6hp!

That was on a 428 (434) engine build, 10.6 to 1 compression, KRE 260cfm "D" port heads, and custom HR camshaft. That engine made 491hp with the RPM intake, and 497HP with the iron intake, back to back pulls, same carb, and no other changes anyplace.

Dave at SD Performance has a CNC scan of my iron intake, and modifies quite a few of them based on that pattern........Cliff

Old 10-30-2016, 12:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"So they MUST use a 1968 factory intake manifold, but it could be modified where you can't see any of the work"

Wilson Manifolds is well known for “Disguise” porting. They cut it open, port the manifold for improved performance and distribution and reapply an “as-cast” finish. Then paint.

We currently have a BOP intake at Slick Rick Racing Heads in Houston for a similar deal. For our true 10.5 tire heads up 1/8 mile racing.

Old 10-30-2016, 12:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah I'm familiar with Rick and Scott that does a lot of his restoration work.

F.A.S.T. is a neat class, but if you really study the rules one starts to realize it's not all that difficult to get any brand of car to run quick. In a nut shell, you can do anything that isn't visible as long as the car appears stock externally. Not to take anything away from Rick, it sure is nice to finally see a Pontiac in the elite 9 second group, something the Mopars and Fords have been a part of for a couple years now.

But it's the Pure Stockers that I enjoy the most. With basically a 1.5 compression bump and .070 overbore allowed as the biggest variance, everything else remaining as built, with no porting allowed and no stroker cranks. Just good engine building practices and a lot of attention to detail. In this class you really see what car and engine packages work best and some cars are certainly more advantageous than others, however the Pontiacs still do fairly well in this class. It's more of an apples to apples class so to speak.