THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-21-2016, 03:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 40SW

I have a Steyr M40 40SW pistol but I'm considering a smaller gun for personal carry. The Steyr is just too big for me to haul around comfortably.
A friend has suggested a M&P Shield in 40SW and from a bit of Googling it seems to be a popular piece at a reasonable price.

Anybody have one?

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

when I lived in Philly, this was my carry firearm. 14 shot 9 mm. Shoots nice

https://bersa.eagleimportsinc.com/be...ompact-9mm-925

1969 GTO Judge Warwick blue/blue, RAIII, 4 speed, tach/gauges, Safe T track, 3.55's, ps and radio.

1971 Torino 351c 4v GT convertible. White on white with black interior
4 speed, shaker, am/fm, ps/pdb, buckets/console, ac.
One of 26 made
Old 11-21-2016, 03:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am looking for a 9mm to conceal and the M&P 9c has been the most recommended so far. I'm guessing the 40 would fall in there as well.

Sandy, UT
---------------------------------------------------
Old 11-21-2016, 03:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I tried the S&W M&P Shield and the grip seems too short for me. I have a larger hand and my palm extends below the grip...don't like the feel.

Tried the Glocks, but the grip seems too thick.

The H&K VP9 feels good for me, not exactly a compact, but not full size, either. I like it.

George

Old 11-21-2016, 04:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by george kujanski View Post
I tried the S&W M&P Shield and the grip seems too short for me. I have a larger hand and my palm extends below the grip...don't like the feel.

Tried the Glocks, but the grip seems too thick.

The H&K VP9 feels good for me, not exactly a compact, but not full size, either. I like it.

George
George, did you try the regular or the extended mag? The S&W M&P (40 cal #180020) comes with both. Grip length is an issue for me too.

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 11-21-2016, 05:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I believe I tried the extended mag and it fit better, but seemed out of balance, kind of a subtle thing. Tried the Rugers too, short grip tho.

The H&K VP9 just felt better from the start..........

My son has a Taurus 92 (I think...like the Beretta 92f). that feels perfect to me and the H&K feels the same.

It's all subjective.

BTW 4.09" barrel on the H&K for comparison.

George

Old 11-21-2016, 05:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I carry the M&P Shield in .40 with the extended grip. I have large hand (XL gloves are tight on me) and I'm OK with it. Short of a full size frame they're all small in my hands. Tucks nicely in my IWB holster and conceals well. Good gun for what it's intended purpose is.

Old 11-21-2016, 05:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have the Shield in 9mm. With the 7 round clip it is a little short for my grip but the 8 round fits nicely. I got it last Christmas and did not even put a bullet in the clip until about three weeks ago. I still haven't shot it. I think I will let my wife buy me a Green Dot laser sight for it this Christmas. It out does the red sight.
http://www.crimsontrace.com/products...cturer/01-4490

Old 11-21-2016, 05:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

David, my nephew (former Marine special forces) has one in 9mm and loves it. I've tried shooting it, but it's just too small for my hands (4XL).

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 11-21-2016, 08:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
I have the Shield in 9mm. With the 7 round clip it is a little short for my grip but the 8 round fits nicely. I got it last Christmas and did not even put a bullet in the clip until about three weeks ago. I still haven't shot it. I think I will let my wife buy me a Green Dot laser sight for it this Christmas. It out does the red sight.
http://www.crimsontrace.com/products...cturer/01-4490
The M&P shield in 9mm is my next purchase. The 8 round clip fit my hand the best of all the compacts that I have tried. They sell locally here for $385

69 Judge convertible........clone! Carousel red, parchment, hideaways, TH400, 10" Continental 3200 stall, 12 bolt with 3.42, 469 c.i. with ported #48's, ported cast iron intake, Cliff's Q-Jet and ported 2-1/2" Ram Air manifolds.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:17 PM
Senior Chief

The M&P Shield 9mm is great. You may want to try Palmetto State Armory. They have a sale now.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/smith...eldtm-9mm.html

Old 11-21-2016, 11:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue67gtoragtop View Post
The M&P Shield 9mm is great. You may want to try Palmetto State Armory. They have a sale now.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/smith...eldtm-9mm.html

One word of caution.................... the M&P Shield 9mm comes in 2 versions. One has a thumb safety, the other has none. Personally, I wouldn't have a gun without a safety.

69 Judge convertible........clone! Carousel red, parchment, hideaways, TH400, 10" Continental 3200 stall, 12 bolt with 3.42, 469 c.i. with ported #48's, ported cast iron intake, Cliff's Q-Jet and ported 2-1/2" Ram Air manifolds.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a SW Shield 40 and it's too big for me to carry comfortably every day. I'm looking for something I can just put in my pocket now. Haven't started looking yet.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 11-22-2016, 10:45 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Ferris View Post
I am looking for a 9mm to conceal and the M&P 9c has been the most recommended so far. I'm guessing the 40 would fall in there as well.
The M&P 9c feels great in my hands. Thats my next carry gun when funds are available. The Shield is a great carry gun due to its size, but its too small in my hands. My current EDC is an SD9VE.

Old 11-22-2016, 11:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've broached the subject with Santa, testing the waters.
I have a friend with an M&P 9mm and want to try it with it's 8 round clip for fit. The 7 round version was borderline the time I handled it, the 8 should be about right. The 40 cal clips are 6 rounds regular length and 7 rounds extended. A little further investigating reveals that Smith & Wesson also offer the gun with a ported barrel/slide, improved trigger action and better sights renamed the "Performance Center Ported M&P 40 Shield". Model #10109. Academy Sports has the standard version at $370 and the ported model at $450. S&W also offer 3 or 4 other versions with various safety and sight options.

Last edited by David Jones; 11-22-2016 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Agree the M&P Shield is a nice gun, mine is 9mm. I have small hands and often carry in my front right pocket in a stick holster, for that the KAHR CM9 is small and fits the bill. The only issue I have with it is it's hard for me to break down for cleaning (removing a pin).

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 11-22-2016, 12:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icefan71 View Post
The M&P 9c feels great in my hands. Thats my next carry gun when funds are available. The Shield is a great carry gun due to its size, but its too small in my hands. My current EDC is an SD9VE.
I'm all but sold on it. Thanks! Maybe it will appear in my stocking in a month.

Sandy, UT
---------------------------------------------------
Old 11-22-2016, 01:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hmmmm.....the price point seems attractive...maybe it deserves another look....

George

Old 11-22-2016, 02:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The best gun is whichever one you feel comfortable with. And I place great weight on models that are selected by LEO for their life-or-death reliability.

I was recently involved in a friendly conversation with an Ohio trooper about my speed on the highway. Per CCW protocol, I told him that I had a loaded firearm in the console. That evolved into a discussion about guns and he mentioned that his personal carry gun is a Shield.

My wife has a Shield for her carry gun and loves it. Our local range officer was amazed at how accurate it is for it's size. In his words..."It's a defense gun, not a target gun."

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 11-22-2016, 02:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Ferris View Post
I'm all but sold on it. Thanks! Maybe it will appear in my stocking in a month.
The M&P 9 compact is my carry gun. It fits in the same Blackhawk holster as the full-size M&P and will also take the same full-size magazines in a pinch. I like the standardization and I like knowing the working guts are the same as the full-size that is used by LEO agencies.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”