Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 12-23-2016, 06:48 PM
Senior Chief

Default Glitter in my oil

So i just finished putting my car away for the winter. I always drain the oil and cut the filter for piece of mind. This year i did the same thing. The oil in the pan looks great. I filtered some thought a paper towel as it drained and nothing bad showed. I cut the filter open and the oild in there looked great. Lastly i wiped my finger in some of the pleats and some fine gold glitter showed up. There is so little i couldn't get it to show on a white towel and cant get a pic of it on my finger but there is definitely some. Should i worry? I do run a bronze dist gear. Maybe ill pull the dist and look at it. What are your thoughts?

Old 12-23-2016, 07:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My thoughts are...your filter is doing its job and your distributor gear has worn in. DO inspect the gear to be sure it hasnt wore too much!

A paint filter and if need be, a bit of mineral spirits to thin the used oil might reveal more.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gold colored fine particles: #1 bronze distributor gear #2 bronze lifter bushings especially if running offset lifters. #3 Valve guide liners or bronze guides shedding a little material. If it's a small amount, I would pull distributor and look just to make sure.

Old 12-23-2016, 09:28 PM
Senior Chief

Ok ill pull the dist. I dont run bronze lifter bushings so that eliminates that. The guides on my e heads were perfect when i chaged the valve seals last winter but i will look for wear there as well.

Old 12-24-2016, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Normal

Being dead, it is not hard on you. You don't even know you're dead. It is hard on everyone else that is not dead.
BEING STUPID WORKS THE SAME WAY! The rest of us suffer.
Old 12-24-2016, 10:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Drain my rear last week and saw metal glitter in the pour. Internals looked quite fine.

I defer opinion on the metal glitter on the Engine oil Filter.