The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 01-23-2017, 11:13 PM
Senior Chief

Default Duplicolor paint shop paint

I was at AutoZone earlier today looking at wax and tar remover. And saw this stuff in 1 quart containers. Does anyone here have any experience with this product? They also sell a clear coat that goes with it. It says it is ready to use, but can be thinned if necessary.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:33 AM

I sprayed a 71 Chevy PU a few years ago with it. Pretty user friendly, not a lot of depth or shine, you pretty much get what you pay for.If you have a Napa store nearby you might inquire about their Crossfire paint line ( Sherwin-Williams) It is their economical "value" line, but is easy to mix and spray. I suggest the base coat/clear coat over the single-stage. Pete

Old 01-24-2017, 12:51 AM
Senior Chief

Agree, bc/bs gives nicer results...but I don't have a booth. And don't want to risk isocyanate exposure. I've contacted a few body shops in the area and most don't do full car paint jobs. I even tried contacting maaco, still waiting on a response. They wanted me to drive the car over to their shop, but I've pulled the motor and trans to get the engine compartment painted. Hence, I've been considering plan B options. Another option would be to rent a uhaul trailer and trailer the car around town to get estimates.