Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 02-25-2017, 10:07 PM
Senior Chief

Default not Pontiac but Chevy El Camino brake question

Hey there all,

My son and I have been working most all day today on his 1972 El Camino and for the life of me can't figure out what's going on with his braking system. He has new rear wheel cylinders, new front and rear brakes. We must've bled the brakes lines 6 times at each wheel, but still the pedals goes all the way down to the floor and the brake light stays on. I did noticed that the rear bleeders just dribble out instead of squirting out. Any ideas what the problem could be guys? Could it be my proportioning valve? Or?

Old 02-25-2017, 10:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You don't say if you have disc or drums up front. But your issue is air in lines related. Either you haven't removed all the air or the master may be bad

Last edited by NEW64OWNER; 02-25-2017 at 10:54 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Guessing Disks? There is a "proportioning" valve, sometimes called a delay valve under the master. This valve has a button on the back that normally needs to be depressed while bleeding.
Sometimes this valve can suck air into the lines while bleeding if the seal in back is leaking. if this is the case, only replacing the unit will allow you to bleed the brakes.
Enjoy!

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 02-25-2017, 11:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you let the system run dry? What did you change? What was it like before you started working on it?? As mentioned does it have disc in front??

Old 02-26-2017, 12:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have done it..bleeders on the bottom? should be on top.

Old 02-26-2017, 12:09 AM
Senior Chief

The proportioning valve may be tripped which basically blocks the fluid from getting to the rear as forcefully as it should. Google search will come up with some methods of resetting. If I recall, there was a little tool used to hold up the pin on the valve but not sure. Here is some info from an el camino site:
The old valve is "tripped" thinking the rear brakes had a failure, thus shutting off flow to them.
Now you have to trick it, with master full, and lid on, have someone loosen both front bleeders, and push the brake pedal as hard and quick as you can, I call it "2 foot'n it".
Don't let up until the helper tightens both bleeders, now pump it easy and slow, don't go all the way to the floor.
Now try to bleed the rear.

Old 02-26-2017, 03:50 AM
Senior Chief

Thank you all for your responses. Yes, disc in front, drums in the rear. Will check out the proportioning valve trick tomorrow.. thanks

Old 02-26-2017, 05:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default if

that doesnt work

maybe a gravity bleeding has helped me out many times also

Scott