Old 03-17-2017, 05:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 74 Formula 455 Project Begins

Well, now that I've had the Formula for a few weeks I've begun a list of things I want to do to make it a nice driver to take to cruise-ins, shows and just general enjoyment!

Here is my to-do list:

Paint:
My Pal Robert (MPR) owns a paint and body shop. He will be doing a general touch up, wet-sand and buff of entire car to bring back shine, and touch up bigger blemishes with color as needed. There are a few places this will be necessary: Both front fenders - the driver side has a place where some brake fluid caused the paint to bubble or it may be rust coming up under the paint, and the passenger side has the antenna which will be coming off and the hole patched. The front bumper filler panel is still black like it came in the box. That will be done in body color. Door handles will get the body colored decal inserts. Bottoms of both front fenders have small rust spots behind the wheel wells and he will repair those and repaint below the lower chrome trim piece at the rocker. He will also paint the rockers and bottoms of the rear quarters just to clean them up some. Question: What color RAM AIR call out would have come on Fire Coral Bronze? Has white now.

Exhaust:
Going back to stock with a RARE 2.25" ceramic manifolds, and then full OEM Gardner system all the way to the correct 74 chrome tips.

Underbody:
Tom Glorioso added frame connectors and welded them in. Should I leave them or have them removed? See pictures below.

Rear End:
I spoke with one of the previous owners, Tom Glorioso, who did most of the work on the car - engine rebuild, tranny and rear end updates, exhaust and suspension work. He shared with me that he had the 3.08 open rear diff converted to a 3.73 posi - no wonder she goes so quick and smokes the tires! But that is too much gear for the kind of driving I plan to do in this car, so I'm taking it back to the 3.08 gear and keeping the posi.

Tranny:
Speedometer stopped working, so I plan to check the gear at the transmission cable. If that's not the cause, then I'll go further. Tom Glorioso said there was a shift kit installed and a high-stall converter. I'll probably go back to a more stock version. Still thinking about this one.

Windshield:
It is definitely a replacement glass by the "Safety Float" in the stamping. It does not have the built-in antenna so I plan to replace it with correct style. The antenna on the fender is going away.

Radio:
I want to check to see if the only reason it isn't working is because there is no antenna connected. If that is not the issue, it will be pulled and sent to Ward's Classic Car Radio Repair in Huntsville, AL for repair and reconditioning.

Gauge Cluster:
I plan to change out the Clock with a Tach that has the smaller clock. This car came with the Clock but my original Formula had the Tachometer and that is the look and functionality I want. Will replace all the p-nut light bulbs while I have the cluster and dash out.

Honeycomb Wheels vs Rally II Wheels:
A former owner has the original Rallys but they are earmarked for one of his other cars, so I think I will keep these Honeys on the car - they just look great! Need to decide whether to refinish them at some point. I sort of like the patina they have acquired.

Stripes:
I have a new set of reproduction stripes on the way from Phoenix Graphics. Light Orange, Dark Orange and Black.

Steering Wheel:
I love the Formula Wheel, but think I may go back with the original three spoke wheel so it matches the column.

AC System:
Will be taking the car to Gainesville Radiator for a full AC system vacuum test and rebuild/replace whatever is causing the Freon to leak out. I can see green staining on the compressor pully. Looking like a compressor rebuild.

Interior:
MPR is going to pull the door panels and rear side panels, replace all the clips, clean and grease the window regulators, address window guide and bumper alignment, and then work on the door panels to get the seat belt rash taken care of. I will probably send the seat belts off to be restored. Will probably check with BentWheelBob to see how the group he is using for that does.

Here are some interesting photos of things I'm curious about and some questions I need some help with:

Car is at MPR's shop ready for some paint love!

Windshield Stamp - Can anyone decode this for me - not sure where the date code is?

Follow The Mystery Cable and tell me what it was?

Down the hole it goes - where it comes out nobody knows?

Or do they - looks like it comes out just above the carpet at the Transmission Tunnel on Passenger side.

Could it have been a CB antenna? Looks like maybe an old CB was mounted on the side of the Console?

What's the best way to repair peeling Chrome on the Grilles?

Formula Wheel?

Or Original (without the cheesy cover) The big white tach is gone now. Left some marks on the column from the clamp.

Going to Lose the Breather Decal - Were the Original's just Black?

Here's the place on the driver side fender that needs to be addressed

Here are the pictures of the frame connectors

Thanks for looking and giving me some input!

BJ

Last edited by OVERULD; 03-17-2017 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:07 PM

Nice looking 'Bird! I don't know why I waited so long to get a Firebird, but I'm glad I finally did!

I'd go with the original wheel in yours; I think it's a nice looking wheel.

1963 Thunderbird
1965 Mustang
1965 Skylark Sport Coupe
1965 Dart 170 Wagon
1965 Corvair Monza Convertible
Old 03-17-2017, 06:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Too cool. You have a car you're in love with and a project to keep you busy. My recommendation is too think long and hard about a priority list to keep you focused. You are right to get the body and paint done first. That means dealing with windshield also. I would get the engine compartment next. When I bought the Y88 that was my first priority since that is the second thing most people want to see once the car catches their eye. You hate to have a car that requires apologies when you lift up the hood. I'd save the interior for last, and I like the formula wheel BTW.

Good luck. Can't wait to follow along and see how things go. Have fun.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mystery cable looks like the antenna cable.
Date coding of newer windshields hasn't been looked at too closely as far as I know (bottom code is the pattern of the glass). 255 could be the code, like 25th week of '85 or something like that.
If your going like the first car, then the Formula wheel has to be shelved.
Going back to 3.08:1 will more than likely need the convertor swapped too.
Air cleaner looks original other than the decal, all black. You can search it for date stamping (a green/blue/teal ink). Of course a picture of the underside would help. Is the original "Keep your GM" decal still there?
Try to get the date code stamp reading of the original Rally II (HM) rims and jot them down. It's always fun to keep an eye out for duplicates.
Take a picture of the A/C compressor decal, in case something happens to it during rebuild.
Frame connectors are welded in and not hurting anything. I'd leave them alone.

Bob is on track with a priority list. I wish I had done that.
To me though, interior is to be tidy first (you can't keep the hood down on that).

Old 03-17-2017, 11:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks guys. Bob, I've been back and forth on what to do first, and finally decided on the paint, and since we'll have the fenders off, I will work on the the engine bay. I really have enjoyed following your project on the black car, and it has been an inspiration. Not sure if I'll take this car that far, but I sure want it to drive, sound and feel like the car I had in college. I guess you caught my spin on your own My Pal Dave "MPD" with My Pal Robert "MPR"...I'll need to get a picture of MPR saluting the way MPD does!

Mike, thanks for the input. Yes, the breather does still have the "Keep your GM" decal on it and I meant to post a picture of that as well. I'll do that and also post a picture of the date code on the breather if I can find it. I'm pretty sure it is original. The date coding on the windshield isn't really that important if I'm planning to replace it, but was just curious.

Good point about getting the photo of the decal on the compressor and the date codes on the Rally II wheels. I'll give Jim a call to get those date codes. Wish he would sell me those wheels!

Oh yeah - I forgot to mention the Hood. Mine has the dreaded crown and MPR thinks there is some adjustment in the hinges that might help, but I've read so many posts about this and think we need to add some weight for a while. Any other ideas?

Another interesting thing is that the body side mouldings were not on the PHS, but they appear to be the original factory style metal strips, riveted in, with the rubber strip insert. I wonder if the dealer installed them? MPR and I were talking about how the vinyl stripes will look in relation to the mouldings. I was concerned that they may compete for the Eyes' attention with two horizontal lines in such close proximity. What do you guys think? Have you seen a body side moulding car with the stripes?

I'll try to get some more pictures posted tomorrow.

BJ

Old 03-18-2017, 08:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In for the ride - looking forward to the journey!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 03-18-2017, 10:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERULD View Post
Another interesting thing is that the body side mouldings were not on the PHS, but they appear to be the original factory style metal strips, riveted in, with the rubber strip insert. I wonder if the dealer installed them? MPR and I were talking about how the vinyl stripes will look in relation to the mouldings. I was concerned that they may compete for the Eyes' attention with two horizontal lines in such close proximity. What do you guys think? Have you seen a body side moulding car with the stripes?

BJ
Those body side moldings will be too much on your car, especially with the rocker trim and stripes. I would delete them..

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 03-18-2017, 10:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The speedo may not be working because the speedo gear housing is wrong for the 3.73 gear. There were at least two "housings" used, one for the 3.08 and lower numerical gears, and one for the higher number 3.42, etc gears. You may have the 3.08 housing with the wrong plastic gear in it so it is not meshing properly.

I am in the process of converting from 3.42s to 3.08s and had to buy the 3.08 housing to replace the 3.42 collar i had previously installed.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tci-880022

Old 03-18-2017, 08:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 Canamman View Post
Those body side moldings will be too much on your car, especially with the rocker trim and stripes. I would delete them..
How do you delete them without painting the whole car? These are riveted/screwed through the sheet metal and you'll have 8 to 10 holes on each side that need filled and painted??? I don't disagree that this is the optimal solution, but don't grasp how to implement your directive without a whole repaint. My Y88 had the same dealer installed molding and I switched it to the factory correct color keyed molding which is adhesive based, but which covered the sheet metal holes.

BTW - MPD loved the MPR reference.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bob:
Thanks for showing the differences n the body side moldings. The type you showed on your Y88 are identical to the ones on my W66. The reason we didn't want to remove them was the very same reason you mentioned. Think I'll leave mine on for now, but would love to find the adhesive ones like yours in Fire Coral Bronze.

By the way...MPR had a message for MPD today.

BJ

Old 03-19-2017, 12:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here are some photos from today's start. MPR did a couple of test spots on the car to see how the paint was going to respond to some buffing. It is definitely single-stage paint from the 80's so we are going to be limited to what we can do with some buffing, waxing and polishing. Initial results indicate that it should bring back a nice 80's quality shine which is precisely what I'm looking for. We'll leave most of the door dings and stuff that won't buff out as they each tell a small piece of this car's story. We'll have to add some color in a couple places, but MPR is confident he can get a very good match. So, the paint restoration process will begin on Monday.

I also got good photos of the engine bay decals, and removed the pesky 455 decal from the breather. It left a second layer of adhesive, so it looks like we'll have to repaint the breather cover - but really don't want to do the whole body of the breather. Check out the pics and let me know what you think. I believe it is original, but I didn't find a date code like HFR indicated might be on the bottom. Check out the "Keep your GM..." decal. Original? On the breather, looks like I need to find a new elbow with the flat spot on it. Anyone have one they want to part with?

Also got some good shots of the AC compressor decal and the Emissions decal, as well as the door decal. You can see the overspray from the 80's paint job. We'll buff all that out. Love the way that original paint looks!

What's up with the kick-down switch on the throttle linkage that isn't connected to anything? Doesn't the TH400 have an electronic kick-down? Mine sure seems to work like it is supposed to?

BJ

Old 03-19-2017, 03:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwheelbob View Post
How do you delete them without painting the whole car? These are riveted/screwed through the sheet metal and you'll have 8 to 10 holes on each side that need filled and painted??? I don't disagree that this is the optimal solution, but don't grasp how to implement your directive without a whole repaint.
Well, since this car is getting a fair amount of paint / body work anyway, these could be deleted, and the sides repainted/blended. I always thought those moldings were extremely tacky, and ruin an otherwise nice looking car. The adhesive backed OEM style moldings with the colored center are a bit more bearable..

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Last edited by 77 Canamman; 03-19-2017 at 03:55 AM.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That's crazy about the kick down switch! When I had to replace the heater core on my 19,000 mile survivor 73 SD Formula, I found the same thing: the kick down harness was not connected to the switch and the wires were tucked and wrapped up in the upper dash. I was the first one to ever get into the under dash area and it appeared to have been that way since 1973.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:32 AM

I notice that the plastic trim underneath your grille and over your bumper is black. Mine is too, but in most pictures of 1974s, it's body color. I always thought that the previous owner painted it black, but now I wonder if some came that way.

Mine's an early build (October '73); is yours?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	015b.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	234.2 KB
ID:	450058  

1963 Thunderbird
1965 Mustang
1965 Skylark Sport Coupe
1965 Dart 170 Wagon
1965 Corvair Monza Convertible
Old 03-19-2017, 08:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

They were body color but due to the kind of flexible plastic they were made of, they crumbled away to nothing over the years. For some reason a lot of people don't paint them before installing a new one. I don't know why? The one on my Gramma's car gradually disappeared over the years - even while my grandparents still had it in the early 1980s, my grandfather would use the old fashioned two-part epoxy and kept valiantly trying to keep the pieces in place. When I got the car in 2004, I found an NOS piece, (and yes, it is natural black in its unpainted form), had it painted and installed it.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Keep your GM decal is real and correct. I can't for sure say the same for your A/C compressor. Can you read all the numbers in the CODE NO. box? I think that MODEL NO. was earlier.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:41 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsteve View Post
They were body color but due to the kind of flexible plastic they were made of, they crumbled away to nothing over the years.
I bought a NOS when I first picked up my 74 T/A and stored it way. Many years later when I finally got to the painting stage I opened the box and it virtually fell apart in my hands

What's with the plugs in the door - was the car rustproofed sometime in it's past?

1974 Trans Am, 400 4-speed, 3.42 rear.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yup, those things just crumbled away.

My Grandfather used that two-part epoxy on everything! Kind of like the dad in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" who used Windex on everything. :-)

Old 03-19-2017, 12:07 PM

Default 74 Formula

Hello BJ Its great to see the progress you are doing with the car it truly found its new home. And by the way I still have that cheesy steering wheel cover that I will gladly send you.
Pat

Old 03-19-2017, 12:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

BJ - I gave Dave the message and he said back at you. Looks like the paint is cleaning up great. Nice shop/workspace. I have a couple extra elbows and will send one your way if you PM you shipping info. Conversely, their are a number for sale on eBay if you search "Firebird air cleaner elbow".