Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-29-2017, 09:16 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 8.2 Locker

I have an older Powertrax Performance Locker for a 8.2 chev that i ran at one time in an El Camino. Other than c-clip axles in chev and bolt in axles in a 8.2 BOP rear, would this possible interchange to a BOP? Same spline axles, i cant think of any reason why it wouldn't, even though there are different part numbers for both.

Old 04-29-2017, 09:57 AM
Senior Chief

I think it would work fine also. I'm following to see if the experts say otherwise.

Old 04-29-2017, 11:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can't remember what the reason was because this was back when they first came out but my friend wanted to swap Rearends from his 65 Malibu for the one in my 64 lemans that I had put a powertrax in. Shortly after making the swap the clutch posi in the Chevrolet 10 bolt went out and I wanted my powertrax back. I can't remember the exact reason but it wouldn't work and we fought it for two days. I ended up buying the other part number from Randy's ring and pinion and shortly there after completely demolished the rear from too many clutch dumps. The powertrax unit was fine but the pinion climbed the ring gear and it was just a mess. Long story short they don't interchange or at least I couldn't get them too

Old 04-30-2017, 02:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Update. Got bored an installed the locker in an extra 8.2 BOP carrier that i have. All the parts seem to fit good till you try and put the cross shaft in. BOP cross shaft is quite a bit bigger diameter than the Chevy 8.2 is. Oh well mystery solved.