Old 06-02-2017, 11:26 AM
Senior Chief

Default Canadian vs. US Wheel cylinder questions.

I feel like I should know the answer to this, but I don't.

What is the difference between wheel cylinders made for Canadian markets and US markets?

The reason I ask is that I have been pulling my hair out over a brake pull problem that I've had for about 10 years. The car ALWAYS pulls to the right. Always.

I've replaced EVERYTHING in the brake system, well, almost. I even gave up and paid a shop several hundred dollars to troubleshoot this problem. Didn't fix it.

I've removed all of the self-adjuster levers, thinking one side was adjusting tighter than the other, for some reason. Didn't fix the problem.

I've replaced all the lines and hoses and master cylinder, and shoes, and springs, and everything. Still pulls.

I paid another shop to get the car up on a lift to see if the control arm bushings are worn and the control arms are moving around. They said they are tight, and not moving.

Today it dawned on me. About 10 years ago I had a sticky driver's side wheel cylinder. My local NAPA did not have a "rebuild kit" in stock, but DID have a rebuilt unit.

Today, I realized that I never replaced that driver's side wheel cylinder, but did replace the other three.

Is there a difference in size of the cylinder? If I remember correctly, the bleeder screw was a different size on that cylinder.

Thanks,

Old 06-02-2017, 01:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If it fit, the car, it could only be a diameter issue. They are usually marked on the outside but if they are old, maybe it's just time to upgrade.
Time to upgrade the shop you used as well?

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 06-02-2017, 02:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's not clear what you have, a Canadian car or a US car?

In any event Canadian cars were based on Chevrolets, so they would use Chevy brake parts, while of course a US car would use Pontiac brake parts.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's a US-car (Catalina wasn't made in the great White Nort, was it?)...

I dare say it could be the wrong W/C... Pressure = Force divided by area. Different area on LF vs RF and sh!t hits the fan. However, according to RockAuto (FWIW) a '64 Chevy Impala (probably the Canadian-Pontiac part?) ALSO uses a 1 3/16" diameter W/C in front.

Could there be excess grooving on the shoe-contact points on the backing plate that's making shoes hang up?

Old 06-17-2017, 10:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Canadian cars are built on a chevy frame. IIRC the front wheel cylinders are smaller diameter than the American cars.

65 Catalina Safari 4DSW