Old 08-12-2017, 02:25 PM

Default disassembled 2 original 428 HO engines this week

It's been a while since I've had the pleasure to disassemble a Pontiac engine and wonder what sort of surprise might await inside. I did 2 this week and just wanted to share this story...

I can remember scouring junkyards in the late 80's and early 90's when Pontiac engines started to become more and more scarce - you can still occasionally find Pontiac V8 donor cars. If you found one in a junkyard, sure enough the best parts were picked clean. Since then, in my neck of the woods, finding intact V8's to break down and save is non-existent, let alone any late 60's hi-perf. finds.

Fast forward to 2009 when by chance I was asked to come help with identifying a mass of parts and the cars buried beneath in a 4 car garage of a home nearby. Turns out the homeowner who passed away was a Pontiac fanatic. I was about to leave for vacation and was told if I wanted anything, I had to empty the entire mess and was given only days to get it done

Not knowing what was buried in the mess, I tried to identify anything salvageable and found the 67 GP 428 HO convertible now awaiting restoration. I later found the frame and shell of a 69 Bonneville Convertible. I agreed to move the entire mess and scrambled to save what I could and trash the rest. I was at the deadline when I counted cars, random parts and engines when I realized the 69 Bonneville Convertible engine remained missing. By hunch I scoured the property and found a small shed with miscellaneous junk, parts and buried underneath, an engine. I could not identify it in the dark clutter filled shed other than it was a Pontiac. I was by myself with no realistic way to move a completely assembled engine. Was it worth killing myself to move if it is either a run of the mill 350 or 400? I recalled in the mass of parts finding a pair of HO exhaust manifolds - could it be a 2nd 428 HO engine? If yes, had to be saved. I mustered up some adrenaline and muscled the engine upright. No time to identify, clock ticking, adrenaline going - I had to carefully walk the engine some 300 feet to a van I was using to haul everything. Somehow did it and carefully rolled the engine into the van right when it was time to leave. Needless to say, my back was not very happy the next several days.

Fast forward to this week. I knew by now I had 2 428 HO engines, but knew almost nothing of the internals. Finally this week took apart hoping all that work and cost of storing was worth it. The '69 first, turns out this one was completely factory and nothing was ever previously disassembled except for the timing cover, valve covers and intake. I was amazed at the condition of the head bolts - nearly no rust. The rest of the engine had surface rust, but that was to be expected sitting in the shed since at least the early 80's if not longer (long side story how I know this). Needs complete rebuild and bore of the cylinders and new valves, but definitely looks to be re-buildable.

The 2nd engine has a few mild surprises. Appears the original 670 heads were replaced with dealer installed 62 heads. The date code for the 62 heads are from 1973 and the GP was original owner until I obtained, so seemingly highly likely there was some warranty issue with the original heads. Seemingly this GP otherwise remained original until the early 80's when it appears the owner tried installing some bolt on performance items, though it does not seem the car ever again saw the light of day as it sat in the garage from the early 80's until I found it buried. It had a Corvette tri-power set up, some roller rockers, a formula/trans am baffled oil pan and a full length windage tray (vs. the 3/4 length that usually is found in this engine). The pistons are the originals, so does not look like anything else was touched.

I will post pictures as soon as I have a chance. I'm not familiar with the rocker arms on the 2nd engine and could use help to identify. Hopefully the 69 engine will find a 2nd life. Just wanted to share this story because had I not saved, would have lost to the scrapper. You just never know sometimes when you might be called upon to help unearth what remains buried out there.

Old 08-12-2017, 04:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thumbs up

Wow!
Thanks for sharing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al2b-...eature=related
Old 08-12-2017, 06:57 PM

By the way, this is just sharing a story. The 67 engine is destined for the restoration and the other a backup until I Magnaflux and spec out the 1st engine.

Here is a pic of the one I salvaged just before it would have been hauled away for scrap.

Both are YK blocks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0809171504.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	460986  

Old 08-12-2017, 07:15 PM
Senior Chief

It had a Corvette tri-power set up.......

How was that made to fit a Poncho, or did you just happen to find a Vette tripower? Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 08-12-2017, 07:28 PM

Here are some pics of the 67 engine that originally had the tri power set up. Original owner even customized the valve covers to remember he added a tri power.😉

Also note the date codes on the 62 heads. I was not planning a concours resto, but just wondering if this still technically qualifies as an original numbers matching engine since the heads apparently replaced the original closed chamber 670 heads. I recall reading somewhere there were a lot of 670 heads returned to dealers for later open chamber heads due to problems with the 670. Does anyone happen have a link to a factual article that can confirm?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0811171641.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	460989   Click image for larger version

Name:	0811171533.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	460990   Click image for larger version

Name:	0811171537.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	460991   Click image for larger version

Name:	0811171544.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	460992  

Old 08-12-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64-3Deuces View Post
It had a Corvette tri-power set up.......

How was that made to fit a Poncho, or did you just happen to find a Vette tripower? Inquiring minds want to know.
I think I posted pics a few years back - it had a pontiac tri power manifold with some custom spacers to fit the 3 holley carbs. The carbs were then topped off with mini velocity stacks and then topped with the vette triangulag air cleaner. It looked kind of neat but a lot of effort that looks like never used because the carbs were quite clean when I obtained them.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:07 PM

Default Moderators - Please move posting to appropriate sub-forum

Moderators - Please move this posting to an appropriate sub-forum; since there are no parts actually for sale...

Excerpt from post - "By the way, this is just sharing a story. The 67 engine is destined for the restoration and the other a backup until I Magnaflux and spec out the 1st engine."

Thank-You

Last edited by GTO3DEUCES; 08-12-2017 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Added excerpt from original post
Old 08-13-2017, 09:04 AM

Yes please - I originally posted this under the lobby section?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO3DEUCES View Post
Moderators - Please move this posting to an appropriate sub-forum; since there are no parts actually for sale...

Excerpt from post - "By the way, this is just sharing a story. The 67 engine is destined for the restoration and the other a backup until I Magnaflux and spec out the 1st engine."

Thank-You

Old 08-13-2017, 09:48 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck67goat View Post
I think I posted pics a few years back - it had a pontiac tri power manifold with some custom spacers to fit the 3 holley carbs. The carbs were then topped off with mini velocity stacks and then topped with the vette triangulag air cleaner. It looked kind of neat but a lot of effort that looks like never used because the carbs were quite clean when I obtained them.
Wow, that guy was really creative. The valve covers are something else!

Old 08-13-2017, 11:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck67goat View Post
By the way, this is just sharing a story. The 67 engine is destined for the restoration and the other a backup until I Magnaflux and spec out the 1st engine.

Here is a pic of the one I salvaged just before it would have been hauled away for scrap.

Both are YK blocks.

BTW, i had the same pleasue of tearing into a 66-dated 1967 YK 428HO (absolutely no cast marking on it except the block number), and a 69 YK 428 HO with manifolds at the same time in the late 80's. Sold one to a GTO guy in Eastern PA. The other i drove as a 455 and 1/4 mile'd then it sold with the car. Good times.

Old 08-13-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64-3Deuces View Post
Wow, that guy was really creative. The valve covers are something else!
If you think that was creative, he added wings on the back of these B bodies. I'll dig out pics and repost at some point or search my prior postings,

Old 08-13-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
BTW, i had the same pleasue of tearing into a 66-dated 1967 YK 428HO (absolutely no cast marking on it except the block number), and a 69 YK 428 HO with manifolds at the same time in the late 80's. Sold one to a GTO guy in Eastern PA. The other i drove as a 455 and 1/4 mile'd then it sold with the car. Good times.
True, side by side the 67 is missing the 428 casting between the freeze plugs, it does have a block casting behind. #8 cylinder though. I really wish there was paperwork of how and why he swapped the heads to the 62's in 1973.