Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 09-18-2017, 03:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Clutch

Have a 67 gto looking to replace the manual clutch to hyd. clutch. Has anyone done this and if so what brand did you use. Any part numbers would be helpful, will be changing out the clutch also.

Thanks for any info
Bob

Old 09-18-2017, 07:16 PM
Boost Engineer

Talk to Tom S in the Street Section or in the Race Section.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

First I have to ask why first?I have one in a car now and have done another.For me if NO good mech linkage is avail then go hyd.If there is than IMHO not necessary.The pedal does not get any easier.Tom

Old 09-18-2017, 09:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I was informed that it would cut down on the heat build up. I'm having a problem with the throwout bearing making noise or the clutch not for sure. I need a good clutch that will last. I have to ride the clutch alot in my home town because of all the stop lights. The first clutch was so strong I could hardly depress the pedal down. Now the other two clutches that have been installed where so weak after a year it's unreal. Any suggestions for a really strong clutch.. I wish now I would have kept the first one.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Really need to get diff opinions,I'm old school and still use B&B style from McLeod.I have them in 3 cars at this time.The linkage won't change anything in what your trying to do.You need to stop riding the pedal,it is very hard on clutches.Tom

Old 09-18-2017, 10:25 PM
Boost Engineer

Agree, Riding the clutch for a two minute period (with some of the stop lights out there today) is VERY VERY hard on the clutch/throw-out bearing, etc.

Much better to come up to the light, shift into neutral with foot on the brake, and then when the vehicles across the intersection from you almost finish making their left hand turns you know it is your green light coming next. Shift into first gear and release the clutch on the green.

Have been doing this ever since I moved to the city. Some LONG, LONG lights at city intersections. This is why the OEMS now have stop/start on many vehicles today.
Can save gas if the engine is off vs idling. 700 rpm x 4 firing pulses x 2 minutes =
5600 cylinder firings in that 2 minutes.

If you have the clutch disengaged that entire time the clutch system is really working hard as is your leg. Put it in neutral vs looking for a band-aid solution.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I still have the stock manual linkage in my 67 GTO and plan on keeping it. The pedal goes in and the clutch releases; when it comes back up the clutch engages - and all very smoothly. I've owned a few new cars with hydraulic clutches and don't see where they have been any better than my 50 year old mechanical parts. I have went through quite a few different pressure plates and clutch disks with the car over the years, and have now went back to close-to-stock pressure with a dual friction disk. I'm running Nitto 275x60 drag radials and can light them up at will on the street without any clutch slippage, and it's hard to ask much more from a street clutch.

Sometimes simple is better. I fried an expensive dual disk assembly because the floater plate didn't shed the heat in bumper to bumper cruise traffic while the simple unit just keeps on going.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Agreed, your issue is riding the clutch and not going into neutral hoping a stop light will be short as I use to do when learning to drive a stick!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 09-19-2017, 09:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the information Guys. I really didn't want to change the setup. This is why I came here for advise. Now to find a good quality clutch for the car.