Old 10-01-2017, 08:02 AM

Default 1966 Bonneville crankcase pressure

I have a 66 Bonneville with a 389 4 Barrel I'm hoping you guys can help me out with this problem as I am not a mechanic. The motor seems to be developing excess pressure resulting in oil leaking from the front seal and also from the rear bearing seal. It also tries to force oil out any bad valve cover seals and also out a breather cap that was installed in place of the oil filler cap. My mechanic says the PCV valve is working properly and that the problem is the rings have worn out. Is this the case or could there be another problem?

Old 10-02-2017, 12:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

First of all it requires a breather cap not a plain cap on your valve cover. If the PCV valve is indeed working then have a leak down test performed to see if the piston rings are doing their job. If the engine has a lot of miles on it there could be excessive piston ring and/or cylinder wall wear.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep A leak down down test will tell you for sure. I would guess you mechanic is right.

Old 07-15-2018, 03:54 AM

looks like it needs a rebuild....