67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 10-16-2017, 03:12 PM

Default Hood Tach came apart

Over the weekend I pulled the 69 firebird out of the garage. Noticed the hood tach cover seemed loose so I checked it. Good thing I did cause the cover came right off. So much for taking a drive that day.

This is an aftermarket tach (need to look in records where it came from) that is about 10 years old. Guess I'll just clean off all the old silicone and redo it. Seems cheezy....

Anybody else have this happen? Did you use silicone or something else to seal it back up?

Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	69 firebird hood tach.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	465529  

Old 10-16-2017, 10:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have one on my 67 and had to take it apart be aues of moisture getting inside. It is held together completely with clear silicone. Just clean it off good and reseal it. Oh and make sure the internal wires don't fall on front of the light bulb. It puts an annoying shadow on the glass. Lol. I think mine cames from Ames about 15 years ago.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Have they changed the design in recent years?

My father bought one for his car year before last, and it's screwed together. I just recently took it apart for painting. Actually had to take 2 or 3 screws out to remove the top.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:39 AM

Thanks jwcfbd for the feedback. I bought mine 13 years ago from Classic Industries. All I I remember is how nerve racking it was to measure and cut the hole in the hood.

And formulajones,, sounds like design was improved. Good to hear. With 3D parts printing and molding these days reworking the cover to include some anchors to screw into from the back makes total sense.

Think I will do the fix right on the car. Tape off completely around the tach area, clean off old silicone, apply new silicone and tape it in place to cure/set up. Wish me luck.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:55 AM
Senior Chief

The one I bought from Ames last year had three screws holding it together, no silicone.

Old 10-17-2017, 01:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Have they changed the design in recent years?

My father bought one for his car year before last, and it's screwed together. I just recently took it apart for painting. Actually had to take 2 or 3 screws out to remove the top.
Now you have me second guessing meself. Lol. I'll have to take a look at mine when I get home tonight. I know the glass was siliconed in for sure and the there was a lot around the edges. There may be a screw or two in the center by the light.
Oh and I know what you mean about cutting the hole in the hood.

Old 10-17-2017, 01:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekheavy View Post
The one I bought from Ames last year had three screws holding it together, no silicone.
Yep Okay, that's how dad's was.