Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-01-2018, 09:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Nonseing brake line

I ordered all new brake lines to go with my front and rear rebuild I have been doing. I got into the car to bleed the brakes today and the front to rear brake line would not seal in the front. With the disc brake kit I am using I have a brass reducer that screws into the prop valve so just to eliminate it I replaced it and the fitting still leaks. This is not a stainless line that I know sometimes has to take a seat it’s just standard steel line. I stripped the threads in the adapter just keeping on trying to get it a little tighter hoping it would go away. I just ordered a new front to rear line because it’s obvious this one is not going to seal and I will go to Napa tomorrow to replace the stripped adapter. Anyone ever have this problem besides with stainless

Last edited by 64speed; 07-01-2018 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:07 PM

may have a crack around the base of the flare

Old 07-02-2018, 12:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Check the flare to insure it is even and the face is perpendicular to the tube.

george

Old 07-02-2018, 12:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1. Damaged flare--not formed properly, cracked
2. Damaged inverted flare. Common for them to be distorted from prior use.
3. Dirt, grit between flare and inverted flare.

Old 07-02-2018, 02:00 PM

I had 3 leaks on the proportioning valve connectors. The inverted flares on the imported block were too small.

Solved it with these, they really work well:

https://www.grainger.com/category/fl...yzanovZ1yzafck

Hedman elite; Pypes 2.5; Borla XS; MSD 6A; Edelbrock intake; open scoop; Sniper Q-jet; Powermaster 150; 4 core radiator/Mark VIII fan; RobbMc mini starter; subframe connectors; solid body mounts; fiberglass rear springs; poly sway bar and link bushings; 81 master; D52’s; Blazer disks; 225/60 & 235/60 17's TrueContact's; relays for PW, PDL, lights; keyless entry
Old 07-02-2018, 04:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well I got that leak sealed with a new set of fittings and the master cylinder is dripping between the booster and the back of the cylinder so I can’t win for losing

Old 07-02-2018, 10:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can’t complain CPP has a lifetime warranty and they overnighted it from California. I told them that it wasn’t necessary because my car wasn’t running but they did it anyway

Old 07-03-2018, 06:46 AM
Senior Chief

Understand your frustration.

Purchased new AC Delco wheel cylinders and brake hoses for my 74. Leaks at front cylinders. Examining the hoses revealed the ends were different and the hoses were a half inch shorter than original.

Ended up using Auto Zone 69 Catalina brake hoses since the ends were correct and they are 0.75" longer than original.

Still leaked. Replaced AC Delco cylinders with no name Advance Auto ones (they said I could return. Them if they leaked).

The bleeder valves were in at the wrong angle, had to grind one down just to seat the cylinder on the backing plate (it was hitting the knuckle).

Finally fixed. I was furious with myself for tossing the original cylinders and not rebuilding them.

Next year the car will have disc brakes, but what an ordeal a simple brake job is today, whether it's brake lines, hoses, cylinders, etc.

Keep your original parts. Rebuild when practical.

Stuart

Old 07-03-2018, 07:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I can assume Inline Tube is better. No leak issues with rear stainless lines. Nor front disc kit.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The line set is from Inline Tube. I didnt order a replacement cause I got this one to seal with the NAPA reducer. I can tell you one thing, Inline Tube makes a good product but their customer service is terrible. I try to buy right stuff whenever I can