THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Pontiac people are awesome!!

Pontiac people are the best. I finally got to race at Norwalk again after selling the GTO several years ago. I decided this year I just couldn't spectate another year. I only wish I would have decided sooner and been more prepared. I slapped together a variety of different parts I had laying around, borrowed parts, stuff that really should not be used together but it created an engine I could stuff in my 69 GP and get it out of the garage after 10 years. I was in a huge hurry to get packed up and went very unprepared. On Friday at Norwalk, I didn't get to make a pass. Had carb issues and electrical issues. Finally got to run on Saturday till I went .011" red in the 2nd, and race Sunday (breaking out in the 1st). But the best and overwhelming part of the weekend, is the kindness and generosity of the Pontiac community. So many people saw I needed help and didn't hesitate to jump in. I need to thank several people. First, my wife Cindy for supporting me in doing this. Ed Page for letting me use his battery charger and floor jack. Ed and his crew (Steve, Mike, Ed's son...sorry I forget...is it also Ed?) are top notch people. And also thanks for sending Tom over to help with trying to tune the Demon. Unfortunately I didn't get his last name. Also thanks to Vince Lasher for loaning parts to try, a scooter to get more parts, and willingness to help. I still have your alternator cable and I'll get it back to you. Thanks to Tom Moon for loaning me a battery. He stopped by just as they called my class and the car wouldn't start. Without hesitation he went back to his trailer and came back with an Optima battery and let me use it the remainder of the weekend. John and Stephanie Hugentober for giving me a ride on their golf cart from the swap meet back to the pits when they called my class. Actually it was Stephanie, but I think it was John's idea. Mike Messer for loaning me parts to get the car together and ready to go. Thanks Joe Taylor and Bryan Dunaway for helping me put the motor in the car. And Joe for always being there and willing to help. Thanks to the family that was 2 spaces down. Very sorry I didn't get their names but they let my dad who is 77 years old w/ bad knees use a scooter to get around, tried to help me fix my alternator, and then sold me the alternator that turned out to be my ultimate fix. I know I'm probably forgetting someone and I apologize to those people. I actually have a lot more to say but this post is too long already. Even with the issues I encountered with my car, and not doing very well in eliminations, it was the best weekend I've had in years.

Old 09-13-2018, 03:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to adam woodmancy

Love hearing this sort of thing. It’s very refreshing. Glad you had fun even through all the chaos.

Quarter-Max Chassis and Racing Components
Old 09-13-2018, 07:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Great perseverance there! What did the car end up running?

Old 09-13-2018, 10:17 AM

No argument here Pontiac people ARE the best! Especially the ones on this site.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 09-13-2018, 10:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Generally, I agree. However, there are some real winners on this board that I wish I never knew of..

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 09-13-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 Canamman View Post
Generally, I agree. However, there are some real winners on this board that I wish I never knew of..

I would have to agree with you, 0NE from California comes to mind, and a few others as well. They use to get under my skin, and I’d in turn lower myself to their level with post replies. I learned a lot, and came to the realization those people aren’t worth my time and energy, and I just brush it off now, and ignore the ignorance. Just roll with it.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 09-13-2018, 04:32 PM

I'm an Oldsmobile guy but I have a future Pontiac project car put away in one of my buildings that I "hope" to do. I'm trying to learn about Pontiac's plus there is a lot of great information on this site also. I was planning to go to the Pontiac meet @Norwalk but seeing how I'm retired, family members think their doing me a favor by letting me watch my Grandkids or other plans, so I didn't make it. Pretty much drag racing guys are very helpful, show and shine guys not so much. It's good to hear your story about making the race and the good Pontiac people.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

wow!!

sounds like the weekend far surpassed your hopes for trouble, and generosity at the same time!!

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 09-13-2018, 07:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What a great thing.. Thanks for relating that.

Work
'67 GTO Convertible "Koerner Built 413 500 hp with a Victor!.. I'll run a stock intake."
'75 Formula 400 - Daily Driver -
Running with my Home Built 455 and TH400

Details here:
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=588372
Old 09-13-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennybill View Post
I'm an Oldsmobile guy but I have a future Pontiac project car put away in one of my buildings that I "hope" to do. I'm trying to learn about Pontiac's plus there is a lot of great information on this site also. I was planning to go to the Pontiac meet @Norwalk but seeing how I'm retired, family members think their doing me a favor by letting me watch my Grandkids or other plans, so I didn't make it. Pretty much drag racing guys are very helpful, show and shine guys not so much. It's good to hear your story about making the race and the good Pontiac people.

Whoa dude..... I’m a show and shine gal, and have helped hundreds of people with info on Pontiacs. parts stuff, paints stuff, engine codes, statistics stuff, history stuff, de-coding stuff, electrical stuff and a lot more. So be kind!

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 09-14-2018, 03:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have to agree with Kennybill. Drag racers are way more friendly than car show people. I've seen too many people at shows throw hissy fits because someone else got their trophy. There is always someone pointing out how wrong your car is. I was 100 miles from home at a Pontiac show when I discovered that one of my gas tank straps had come off and my tank was hanging down. I laid under my car fixing that tank and not one person offered any tools or help. That would never happen at the track.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatracer1 View Post
I have to agree with Kennybill. Drag racers are way more friendly than car show people. I've seen too many people at shows throw hissy fits because someone else got their trophy. There is always someone pointing out how wrong your car is. I was 100 miles from home at a Pontiac show when I discovered that one of my gas tank straps had come off and my tank was hanging down. I laid under my car fixing that tank and not one person offered any tools or help. That would never happen at the track.

Well that’s not me, or my show friends. I don’t go to only awards shows, I do many events for the people or the cause, cancer, ms, etc. I offer advise, suggestions, info on finding parts or project cars, car care products, body shops. Thats what I like. People who complain,rant and rave over a piece of plastic, are not in my league, and I ignore their ignorance. I’ve had AACA judges look at my car and NOT know facts, about the model and how chrome valve covers and air cleaner lids are part of a 400 package. I wound up educating them. Not getting mad! If the car gets an award, it’s a plus, but not a must. Not bragging my car has 207 awards starting from 1997 to present. The time I’ve spent, and the friends I’ve made are what is of importance to me. When I got Leukemia, I had more Pontiac friends rally around me than people I actually know personally. Most from car events and the Internet some I’ve never met in person. A group from another site, even sent me a lap top to have when I was in isolation for 35 days. Never met one of them in person.

And FYI, I also frequent drag races, and have seen many tantrums thrown in the pits by racers. Cussing, throwing car parts and tools, they are no Angels either! just saying.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 09-14-2018, 10:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hillard, great story. Cliché of journey not destination maybe.... the people meet part is what it's all about..... you had fun in misadventure, keeps one on their toes. Nothing like a great car playing dead donkey in the ditch. I just had an intermittent till finally fail HEI coil. That got me towed. No fleets of helpful Poncho folks scurrying around, I should have been at Norwalk

Old 09-14-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
Hillard, great story. Cliché of journey not destination maybe.... the people meet part is what it's all about..... you had fun in misadventure, keeps one on their toes. Nothing like a great car playing dead donkey in the ditch. I just had an intermittent till finally fail HEI coil. That got me towed. No fleets of helpful Poncho folks scurrying around, I should have been at Norwalk

I’ve personally seen racers needing a part, and other racers taking their own part off their car to help a fellow racer. So long and short of it is, keeping to the positive, of Pontiac People, because in general, the good out weighs the bad. I don’t do drama!! And when faced with it, just walk away. Still the best people I know!

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 09-14-2018, 12:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

From my limited experience, I too have seen a different type of camaraderie with racers over people who go to park their car in a show;
Granted there are exceptions to everything...

2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 09-14-2018, 03:35 PM

Of course their are a lot of good/helpful show and shine but I get sick of the "Please look but don't touch" signs and the "designer" car snobbery. First do you really have to have a sign? I don't think kids will run up and jump on the roof, yada yada. By designer cars I mean GTO'S, 442'S, etc, and I have a couple 442's but mine aren't made out of sugar like some people think they are. Being he was talking racing, I was meaning more helpful to tuning, help fix a small problem at the track and such not pointing out incorrect bolt, decals in the wrong place, types of wax and such. I used to belong to OCA and they always had a pecking order but I could care less.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I’ve said it a hundred times. If ya don’t want someone touching your car, don’t put it in the ****ing car zoo. Leave it in your garage and pat yourself on the back there. Your not doing us a favor by giving us the privilege of looking at your car!
Race pits an interesting animal but TONS of camaraderie!

236 244@ .050 108 LSA .511 lift, duration 289,297 @.oo6
Edelbrock Aluminum 87cc round port heads Larger valves ,ported polished and cut
Powerjection3,T2 manifold, Try-y’s
Flowcooler water pump.
71 formula with TKO600,hydraulic clutch 3.42 posi and 26 inch tire.
17x9 YO Honeycombs with Nitto 555's
Old 09-14-2018, 05:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennybill View Post
... I get sick of the "Please look but don't touch" signs ... do you really have to have a sign? I don't think kids will run up and jump on the roof, yada yada. ...
actually things are getting pretty bad right now;
I am hearing time and again of people parking their car in a show, walking a way for a couple minutes, and people are in their car, opening the hood ect...

I wouldn't consider myself a "car snob", but I also don't want people getting in my car, or crawling all over it.

Old 09-16-2018, 11:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCMDGTO View Post
Great perseverance there! What did the car end up running?
I had run three 13.41's between saturday and first time run Sunday, so I dialed a 13.40 first round Sunday. Right before the 1st round though is when I found the real problem and it woke up. I took way too much stripe as I had him by more than a few hundredths on the tree, but I jabbed the brakes once and still went 13.27.

With the issue now fixed, a little tuning, and good air, I think it could have a 12.90 in it.