THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Intersting new DMV process

Just went to renew my driver's license (Illinois) at the DMV and found they've changed the process. You no longer receive your new driver's license at the DMV, they just give you temporary paper version (they punch a hole in your old plastic card, and you get that back ) and they mail you a permanent card in about 2 weeks. The reason is that they now run fraud checks before issuing your driver's license. I imagine that also includes a check to see if you have any outstanding warrants, unpaid tickets, etc.

No worries here, just thought it was interesting that Illinois is finally starting to realize how much fraud there is in this state.

How is the DMV process in your state?

Mike

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Illinois running fraud checks? Are we in some alternate reality?

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 10-04-2018, 12:57 PM

Just renewed my license In Indiana and they have switched also to the same method as Illinois. However I didn't get a punch in my old license.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:06 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72projectbird View Post
Illinois running fraud checks? Are we in some alternate reality?
I guess 98% of the politicians will be losing their licenses.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierGP View Post
Just renewed my license In Indiana and they have switched also to the same method as Illinois. However I didn't get a punch in my old license.
Same for our license plates and renewal stickers.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 10-04-2018, 01:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I haven't had to go thru it yet, but Ohio started something similar a few months ago.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 10-04-2018, 02:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Are illegal aliens exempt from this process?

2015 Challenger R/T Plus, hemi, Sublime
Old 10-04-2018, 02:52 PM

Connecticut started doing the same thing some time last year. When my sister got her liscense last fall she had to wait a couple of weeks before getting it in the mail.

They also just changed the liscenses to have new security features and colors.

Old 10-04-2018, 02:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOnly70 View Post
Are illegal aliens exempt from this process?
More than likely. LOL

DE hasn't started holding back your new driver's license yet, as far as I know. March of 2020 is when I have to renew my Class CA-CDL license. I've had mine for 8 years without a renewal.

Back in the mid 90s I was almost arrested at my local DMV in NY. I went it to renew my Class A license and it was denied. Reason was a speeding ticket with a warrant from Colorado. I told the lady I'd never been to Colorado in my life. I had to give her my SS number, and then waited for 30 minutes. Finally she called my up to the counter and apologized. Someone in Colorado has my exact name and birthdate. SS number cleared me.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 10-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike, same process here in Alabama.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 10-04-2018, 02:59 PM
Suspended

Huh? California has been mailing licenses at least since I first got mine there in the late '90s. You're saying these states have been manufacturing and issuing driver's licenses on the spot all this time?

Old 10-04-2018, 02:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In NY you can renew online. If you want an "enhanced" license you must go to DMV, or if you have a commercial license.

Old 10-04-2018, 03:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNoun View Post
Just went to renew my driver's license (Illinois) at the DMV and found they've changed the process. You no longer receive your new driver's license at the DMV, they just give you temporary paper version (they punch a hole in your old plastic card, and you get that back ) and they mail you a permanent card in about 2 weeks. The reason is that they now run fraud checks before issuing your driver's license. I imagine that also includes a check to see if you have any outstanding warrants, unpaid tickets, etc.

No worries here, just thought it was interesting that Illinois is finally starting to realize how much fraud there is in this state.

Mike
Mike ,

My new license came in a week.

Custom Roller Cam, 1.52 Roller Rockers
Quadrajet done by Cliff
3:42 gears

12.075 @ 112.70
12.092 @ 112.43
12.128 @ 111.71

Old 10-04-2018, 03:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Same process has been in place forever in Minnesota. They give you a paper copy, clip the corner of the old license card and give that back as well (so you still have a photo ID you can use in the meantime), and finally the new one comes in the mail a few weeks later. I don't think it has anything to do with fraud protection, it's just how they've always done it.

Old 10-04-2018, 03:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

NC started all that about 3+ years ago.

Renewed mine in 2016 and had to wait for it in the mail.
It has my picture in 3 different places in 3 different ways , and some opaque hologram stuff .

The backside has a bar code, and another box code like the kind you can scan with a smart phone. Then some opaque like water mark patterns of varying intensity.
It's definitely Anti-Fraud front and back.

At least its good for 8 years until 2024.
Hope nothing wears off of it before then.
Its like a matte finish credit card on front - not laminated.

Up until then , we always got the old laminated on-the-spot /while you wait, type.

Old 10-04-2018, 03:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post
I haven't had to go thru it yet, but Ohio started something similar a few months ago.

Eric
Ohio started the "enhanced" process July 1, 2018. My birthday is July 13 to I had the "privilege" of being one of the first. In Ohio, if you don't have a current valid passport, It's quite an ordeal. Mine was expired, so I had to jump through some hoops. You need your original birth certificate, (no copies), your original Social Security card, (no copies), if you were in the military, you need your original DD214, you also need 2 utility bills that have your address on them and not older than 60 days. If you don't walk in with all this stuff, right out the door you go. One of my utility bills was 70 days old. They stopped the process and sent me home. In total, with the wait in line it took 3 1/2 hours to get the paper "temporary" drivers license. Then the real license comes in the regular US mail? Hell, half my mail goes to God knows where. It's constantly delivered to other people all over the area. That's the major snag in the system. They make you jump through all kinds of hoops and then just send it out for delivery in the most unreliable way possible with no tracking of any kind. Fortunately, I did get mine.

Old 10-04-2018, 03:38 PM

Missouri also does this. Takes about a week to arrive via mail.

I thought this had to do with fake id's and such. We had a problem in one of the bigger cities where an employee was making fakes for a price to a certain group of the population.

Edit: one other thought crossed my mind. There is a process called Real Id, that homeland security rolled out a few years back. So far 38 states are compliant and twelve others including Missouri are on extension to emplement the process. At a future date its stated a need to have one when you enter federal facilities, power plants and fly commercially.

I wonder if this is a pre-method to that process?

Last edited by don71; 10-04-2018 at 03:48 PM. Reason: more info
Old 10-04-2018, 03:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullsize455 View Post
Huh? California has been mailing licenses at least since I first got mine there in the late '90s. You're saying these states have been manufacturing and issuing driver's licenses on the spot all this time?

Once you worked through whatever line there was, Alabama used to shoot the photo, laminate it and hand the new license to you in a matter of minutes.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:12 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNoun View Post

Mike
While the fraud check may uncover other things its main purpose is to confirm the identity of the applicant in order to comply with Homeland Security’s (HS) Real ID/Secure Drivers License law. This law requires ALL states to issue DLs/IDs that meet HS requirements to prevent forgery. Depending on the state the renewal applicant is given some type of verification that the new license is in process. This is done so the old license can still be used for air travel ID or other ID purposes until the new license is receive. The renewal info is sent to a secure facility, the fraud check conducted, and then a higher quality, and hopefully more secure DL/ID will be sent.

I renewed my Illinois license earlier this year and the same thing.

And to a previous poster, Yes, Illinois would give you the new license right at the time of renewal if done on site at a DMV facility.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One other thing I forgot to mention. When it was time to take the photo, the DMV person asked me to remove my glasses. Now I've been wearing glasses since I was in 4th grade, they are mandatory for me. All my previous licenses, and any photo ID's, I have glasses on. I politely told her that I could never, ever be behind the wheel of a car without my glasses. But she said it's a new policy for "facial recognition". Not a problem, I removed them.

I'm wondering if soon the police will be using handheld facial recognition scanners, and when they pull you over, they simply scan your face and it will bring up all your information to see if it matches your driver's license? I know in some communities the police say that a family member, or extended family member, all use the same ID or driver's license.

Another change : If you're under 21, your license information (and photos) are displayed vertically on the card, not horizontal. Allows bouncers and/or police officers to spot underage ID's much quicker.

All in all, a good experience at the DMV. Just glad they're getting more serious about fraud.

Mike

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.