Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-24-2018, 09:10 AM

Default Company that evaluates a car you want to buy?

Im looking at buying a car in another state. Im in NY and car is in Wisconsin. To fly out there with hotel is about $1k pluss two days of my time. Does anyone know of a company that will go look at and evaluate a car for you. I know there out there but dont know a specific one or one in the Wisconsin area. If someone has personal experience with one I would appreciate there imput. How was the review of the car they gave and how much was it. I heard it was in the $3-400 range. Thank uou for any help in this matter.

Old 12-24-2018, 09:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There are listings on line for Classic Car Appraisals & Inspections.

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 12-24-2018, 09:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Where in WI is it located?

Old 12-24-2018, 10:17 AM

He said he is 5 minutes from Appleton airport

Old 12-24-2018, 11:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Depending on the car a 1k is worth it to view it yourself. I don't believe that anyone is going to be as critical as yourself. It's your money.

You should be able to fly into Chicago for next to nothing and rent a roller skate.

Old 12-24-2018, 11:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That is a 3 hr drive

Old 12-24-2018, 11:29 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

https://www.autoappraisal.com/loccentral.htm

Don’t know anything about them, just found it on line.

Old 12-24-2018, 01:20 PM

As someone who went through this a few months ago all I can suggest is DON'T.

I specifically picked an appraiser that knew classic cars and Pontiacs. Spoke with him and felt comfortable especially after finding out that he also does appraisals for Mechum and Barret Jackson. I requested he look for specific issues in specific areas and bought the car secure in the knowledge that those areas wouldn't be a problem. Guess what.

I could see an uneducated person making the mistakes made but not someone who sold themselves as a professional.

And as a fellow New Yorker I'll also suggest don't shop out of state in a salt belt state. Get a car from California or Texas or the desert somewhere .You're going through all the trouble of shopping out of state, shop in the right states.

I wish someone had given me this advice.

Old 12-25-2018, 01:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny99 View Post
As someone who went through this a few months ago all I can suggest is DON'T.

I specifically picked an appraiser that knew classic cars and Pontiacs. Spoke with him and felt comfortable especially after finding out that he also does appraisals for Mechum and Barret Jackson. I requested he look for specific issues in specific areas and bought the car secure in the knowledge that those areas wouldn't be a problem. Guess what.

I could see an uneducated person making the mistakes made but not someone who sold themselves as a professional.

And as a fellow New Yorker I'll also suggest don't shop out of state in a salt belt state. Get a car from California or Texas or the desert somewhere .You're going through all the trouble of shopping out of state, shop in the right states.

I wish someone had given me this advice.
^ I agree. Knew several guys in AACA who used inspector/appraisers and got a car with problems. They eventually decided to take the few days off and spend the air fare as it was cheaper than getting a bad car and less time consuming.

It's always possible the guy up north bought a sun-belt car and had it brought up north and it could be cherry. Here again, a personal evaluation will tell you of its a good car or a bondo heap. IMHO.

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/
Old 12-25-2018, 08:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pontiac folks are pretty thick around here, lots of people cold look for you.
And never write off a Midwest car.
Tons of transplants & survivors around.

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 12-31-2018, 12:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This may be of some help: I sold one of my classic cars a couple of years ago and the buyer applied for a classic car loan which triggered an inspection by a qualified classic car appraiser. The guy came out and went over the entire car for the buyer and this was integral to the buyer obtaining the loan.

I'm not sure if the fee was part of the loan application or a separate thing but this could be an option for you even if you don't ultimately follow through with the loan.(??)

Old 01-02-2019, 10:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Funny thing.. I Bought my 75 Formula out of New York and I live in California.

I had searched the state here for a pre smog Formula that was in great shape. This was in 2006. I found 3 worth considering, in the 3 or 4 months I looked at about 15.

And I drove all up and down the state every weekend. All were overpriced cars that needed a lot of body work and were worn out. None had rust mind you, but some had windows that didnt work, vinyl roofs peeling off, broken seats, etc...but I was looking for something that looked really good and could be a nice daily driver with a working Heater, working gauges, nice tires and wheels, nice (not torn up) interior etc.. I drove one out of Fresno that was a bit too radical but other wise nice..

I ended up seeing one on L.I. on eBay. I had a member here take a look at it. He sent back pics and a "report".
I then invested in plane tickets that I used to look at another one in the Washington DC area that a PY member had for sale, then I drove up to Long Island where I found this incredibly clean, zero rust, mildly restored Formula.

Seeing it myself, I saw the few issues it had was comfortable with them, and was able to drive it..

Worth the $1000.00 it took with beer and burgers car rentals and plane tickets.
I then had it shipped back enclosed for another $1500.00.

I have looked at a number of cars here that members from out of state that they have later purchased, or not. I'm certain a PYer would be able to do that for you..

Work
'67 GTO Convertible "Koerner Built 413 500 hp with a Victor!.. I'll run a stock intake."
'75 Formula 400 - Daily Driver -
Running with my Home Built 455 and TH400

Details here:
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=588372