Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-25-2019, 12:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Plug Wires for HEI

The wires that are on my engine, were already on it when I got it. So I didn't know exactly what type they were. Recently had the cap off my HEI. When I was hookin the wires back up on the cap, I noticed that one of the wires had come out of its dist boot.

Upon closer inspection, I discovered that the wire has a metal wire core. I've read online that an HEI should NOT use plug wires with a metal core. This is not just because of radio interference. Some of the info I read said that metal core wires could mess up the module, & cause damage to the HEI.

So, how about it ? Metal core wires OK for an HEI ? Or should I switch to some sort of spiral core wires, OR ???

Don't know if it makes a difference or not, but I have the MSD module, which has the built in rev limiter.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...xoCm8gQAvD_BwE

Last edited by ponyakr; 04-25-2019 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyakr View Post
So, how about it ? Metal core wires OK for an HEI ?
Sun Tuned actually used Packard 440 wires.
Surprised me, but if he said it works I believe it.

Old 04-25-2019, 02:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the info.

But I'm not buying Packard 440 wires, if they are even still sold.

What about the Taylor Pro or Spiro-Pro wires ?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tay-70655

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tay-73655

https://www.ebay.com/p/Spark-Plug-Wi...3655/236150470

Last edited by ponyakr; 04-25-2019 at 02:58 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I use the MSD 8.5 mm. I bought the ones for a BB Chevy. At the time they didn't list any for a Pontiac. They have very low resistance and last a long time. The ones I have are over 20 years old and still check out fine with the ohm meter. They are pricey but you get what you pay for.

Old 04-25-2019, 03:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I always try to use the universal wire sets, so I can make the wires long enuff to get the valve covers off, without pulling any wires. Just saves time & work, if you remove the covers often. Not worried about a nice neat look.

So, are the MSD wires worth $40 more than the Taylor wires ? Or is some of the price difference just the MSD name ?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-31183/overview/

Last edited by ponyakr; 04-25-2019 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I discovered that the wire has a metal wire core. I've read online that an HEI should NOT use plug wires with a metal core. This is not just because of radio interference. Some of the info I read said that metal core wires could mess up the module, & cause damage to the HEI.

So, how about it ? Metal core wires OK for an HEI ? Or should I switch to some sort of spiral core wires, OR ???
Doesn't matter how the wire is constructed. What matters is the amount of amperage that flows through it. Amperage creates the Electro-Magnetic Interference (also called Radio-Frequency Interference) that causes the problems.

My motorcycle has solid metal-core wires. It also specifies resistor plugs and a 5Kohm resistor pellet in the plug boot. The combined resistance cuts the amperage flow, therefore killing the EMI/RFI.

Some plug wires (sold as "helical wound" or "spiral wound") reduce amperage flow using an electrical choke (inductance) instead of resistors. These wires test really nice when using an ohmmeter, but the truth would be told if using an inductance meter.

As usual, it's an ignition SYSTEM, so you'd need to verify ALL the parts.

Just to confirm: You don't have static or whine on the in-car radio? None of your neighbors complain about static on their radios? Computer-controlled cars that drive alongside you don't suddenly stall?

Old 04-25-2019, 03:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No radio. It's in a bracket car, with a very mild 455. Not worried about radio static. Just wondering about the possibility of HEI module damage or other dist damage, which some online sources say can happen with metal core wires.

Old 04-25-2019, 03:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

But I'm not buying Packard 440 wires, if they are even still sold.
That's good, because I'm not selling them.

They're solid core, and Sun Tuned said they worked on an HEI. Answers your metal core question, that's all. Which means your choices are pretty much unlimited.

Old 04-25-2019, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, a Pontiac friend just told me that he had made "millions" of laps on dirt tracks, using HEI with metal core wires.

So, I suppose that if metal core wires would damage a module, he'd have found out about it.

Just hope the MSD module is OK with metal core wires. Seems to be, so far.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well we did, and still do. I got a machinist that runs dirt track at riverside speedway in west Memphis, running some on the car now.

I've still got 3-4 100 foot rolls of 440 and one roll of silicone jacketed Packard 530 . A lot of marine engines in the 90's used it too.

My grandfather used to get on my ass as they lived down the street and it would raise absolute hell with his ham radio stuff when I would come in or out. Lol

It can be done. Not saying I would recommend it for everyone, but it works just fine.

Was running that setup in my 65 with non resistor plugs too at same time.

I'm surprised someone remembered that.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Taylor Thundervolt BBC - HEI

FWIW, I have found that the Taylor pre-cut sets for Big Block Chevy / Over Valve Covers fits beautifully on a Pontiac motor. I have the fat 10mm Thundervolt HEI sets on both of my cars. (Taylor 98032) but they offer the same low resistance (40 ohms / ft) in an 8.2mm set which should fit stock wire looms. (Taylor 86032)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5A568F2A-F5FD-455F-AC91-5D44D7CF678A.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	510984  

Old 04-25-2019, 11:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The MSD wires listed on the Butler website are actually for a BBC. They are cheaper on summit. I use the set for a BBC from the early 90s cause I need a coil wire for my external coil.

Old 04-26-2019, 04:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I used Taylor 8mm wires on both cars. Street cars, and the FB sees infrequent strip time. I have been pleased. I like the 135 degree angle boots.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tay-50053

Old 04-26-2019, 09:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I always try to use the universal wire sets, so I can make the wires long enuff to get the valve covers off, without pulling any wires. Just saves time & work, if you remove the covers often. Not worried about a nice neat look.

So, are the MSD wires worth $40 more than the Taylor wires ? Or is some of the price difference just the MSD name ?

Bought some wires off eBay for Pontiac V-8 and the shortest wire wouldn't reach anything.
Universal wire set is a good tip.

Old 04-26-2019, 11:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Wow. Those went way up in price. I paid 45 around 20 years ago. I do feel I got my moneys worth. Most wires wont come close to lasting 20 years. These look like they will last another 20.

Old 04-26-2019, 03:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Taylor 98032

The Taylor 98032 do not need to be removed to get the valve covers on or off and I even have the 3-14" tall VCs since I prefer the welded in baffle under the breather hole. Taylor 86032 (8mm) are listed as identical lengths, so these should be fine also. I agree that the 135* boots seem to work better than straight or 90* on a Pontiac motor.