THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-30-2019, 05:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default FCA/Renault merger

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...un/1254829001/

Don't know about this one.

Old 05-30-2019, 05:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's a perfect fit. One company that makes cheap, unreliable cars merging with another company that makes cheap, unreliable cars.

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 05-30-2019, 09:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatless View Post
It's a perfect fit. One company that makes cheap, unreliable cars merging with another company that makes cheap, unreliable cars.
Truth!

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 05-30-2019, 10:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Renault's largest shareholder is the government of France (no joke). Not sure what kind of numbers we're talking about, just that they hold the #1 posistion.

Old 05-30-2019, 11:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeh but they both sell more cars than Pontiac does.

Old 05-31-2019, 07:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I read about that one yesterday - and I can see that one happening. I love goatless' comment...

But I also read this article yesterday:

"Rumor Mill Goes Into Overdrive — GM/Ford Merger On The Horizon?"

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/05/30...t-about-tesla/

Quote:
Market Watch says Ford has one ace in its hand — the F-150 pickup truck. Other than that, it’s got nothin’. GM has a strong presence in China, but Ford’s sales in that country are modest and trending down sharply.

Jim Hackett, Ford’s CEO, boasts about 40 electric and plug-in hybrid models coming by 2022, but as Market Watch points out, “Ford may build more electric cars and hybrids, but selling them is another matter. The competition in this market runs from tech companies like Alphabet’s Waymo to Tesla, startups, and every major manufacturer in the world. There is no evidence Ford is ahead of this wave, and so far, it appears the company is behind it. Confidence in Hackett, in particular, is low.”

Market Watch goes further with its predictions. “While GM may have a future as a standalone car company over the next decade, Ford does not. Its market cap is down 42% over the past five years, while GM’s is close to flat. The savings in a combination would be well into the billions of dollars. A marriage of the two also could compete effectively with Toyota, VW and perhaps the new Fiat Chrysler and Renault combo.”
This makes sense, but would be tough to swallow.

Old 05-31-2019, 09:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm sure the MBA's would see some efficiency of scale in combining the 2 companies.

But from a sales standpoint, I think it would dramatically erode customer loyalty and in the long run, make sales better for their competitors. How many diehard Ford truck buyers would lose interest in an F-150 that has a Genford engine and consider a Toyota for the first time in their life?

Looking back to our own history, how many diehard Pontiac buyers became less enthused about the brand after corporate engines were installed?

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 05-31-2019, 09:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post
...Looking back to our own history, how many diehard Pontiac buyers became less enthused about the brand after corporate engines were installed?

Eric
in the real world, negligible.

Old 05-31-2019, 09:55 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

While I doubt a GM/Ford merger would happen, at least the F-150 would finally give GM a good-looking truck.

2015 Challenger R/T Plus, hemi, Sublime
Old 05-31-2019, 10:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
in the real world, negligible.
I agree with this.

I consider myself to be a diehard Pontiac fan, but continued to buy Pontiac's after they went with the "corporate" engine. Part of that is my upbringing - my dad sold Pontiac, GMC, Buick, Olds and Cadillac's in his lifetime in auto sales.

As to Ford buyers - with Ford eliminating everything but the Mustang when it comes to cars - the Ford car buyer needs to find something else. Those Taurus drivers might look good behind the wheel of a Malibu....

GM and Ford have worked together on the new 10 speed transmission.

Not saying that there won't be some consternation - the old Ford/Chevy battles would continue for awhile.

Looking back - Oakland was a company of it's own before GM acquired it in 1909. Had that not happened - would there have ever been a Pontiac?

Old 05-31-2019, 10:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

If you are a current Ford fan because GM and Chrysler had to have assistance from the Gov'ment to stay afloat after our country's "hiccup in road" around 2008...I guess France and Italy were the first to get assistance from us...in World War II. If not for us, German might be their language of origin, right now...LOL

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 05-31-2019, 11:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatless View Post
Throw in a language barrier and it's a match made in heaven. Obviously nothing learned from the DaimlerChrysler fiasco.

Old 05-31-2019, 12:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You guys crack me up. What is brand loyalty when your brand is gone? I drive a Ram 2500 and a Grand Cherokee and have owned a Challenger. Better looking stuff than GM or Ford in my opinion. I have a had good luck with them as well. The only option for us Pontiac guys is to drive something BOP except there is no O or P and I sure as heck am not driving a B!

Old 05-31-2019, 11:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchjoe View Post
You guys crack me up. What is brand loyalty when your brand is gone? I drive a Ram 2500 and a Grand Cherokee and have owned a Challenger. Better looking stuff than GM or Ford in my opinion. I have a had good luck with them as well. The only option for us Pontiac guys is to drive something BOP except there is no O or P and I sure as heck am not driving a B!
I'm with you on this one. If brand loyalty meant anything, Kia and Hyundai wouldn't exist. I doubt 1% of anyone younger than 40 has any car brand loyalty whatsoever. There is more brand loyalty to Apple vs PC computers than any car brand. This ship has sailed. It seems Chrysler has suffered enough with Daimler, Ceribus, and now Fiat. Could Renault really be much worse? After all, they did invent the reclining seat! Nothing else I can think of. I guess that's a pretty strong pedigree. Just kidding, I know they are one of the world's oldest car builders, blah, blah, blah.

Old 05-31-2019, 11:45 PM
Suspended

The only thing that comes to mind when I heard this was......

Old 06-01-2019, 12:09 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
The only thing that comes to mind when I heard this was......

How in the holy name of Pabst Blue Ribbon did you come across that? I know...the HAMB board?

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Jeff Gordon Edition
2017 Dodge Challenger SXT Black Top Edition
Old 06-01-2019, 12:34 AM

That's just not right.

Old 06-01-2019, 09:56 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

After the corporate engines came about a lot of diehard Pontiac guys in my area wouldn’t buy a Pontiac with one of the corporate crap in it. GM was killing off Pontiac long before obummer. I’m in the same oat as Ponchjoe GM has nothing to offer that’s worth buying.

Old 06-01-2019, 10:22 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hall View Post
How in the holy name of Pabst Blue Ribbon did you come across that? I know...the HAMB board?
Absolutely not

Old 06-01-2019, 01:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is that puppymonkeybaby!