Old 06-06-2019, 08:57 AM
Senior Chief

Default Repo Gto 4 speed console Fit

Repo 66 4speed console

Hi all a few years since I’ve been on here. My question is this I just purchase a 4speed console from parts place and the fit is not great. Humped up in the middle and seems tight on the shift cup..Has anyone trimmed these to fit and what are the best methods for this. Thinking about returning it but not a lot of options out there thanks

Old 06-06-2019, 04:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In regards to the console fit (& this would apply to both 65 and 66) There is more to it than just the console.

On the older GM A body cars we used to take apart back in mid-1980s I remember than on 4 speed console car the front carpet was not trimmed the same as a non-console car. The shape, yes but underneath the console plastic side skirting "footprint" the entire center of the car's carpet was relief cut so that the edge of the side plastic pressed the carpet down very tight to the floor pan of the car. (Underneath the console there was no carpet that covered over the top of the transmission hump.) All the way around the cut-lines an additional 1" or 1 & 1/2" the jute padding was removed from underneath the carpet so that the console fit as tight down on top of the floor-pan as possible. Those long chrome phillips screws hold it down. It pressed down on the cut edges of said carpet compressing that right on top of that brown tar paper GM used to put on the floor of all these cars.

On a 4 speed car with a console (64-67) the condition and assembly of the shifter is VERY important. First off: the shifter, the mounting plate and all of the rods and levers MUST be the factory original GM parts. In-addition if the shifter &/or linkage is worn out then the chrome stick will most likely bang on the interior edge(s) of your console cup.

On the factory Hurst 4 speed shifter there is an adjustment to the shifter both in the angle (front to rear) of the stick inside of the car as well as the - of the "H," your neutral gate. All of the adjustments need to be done and done right or the console may not fit very well.

There is no room for error on the shifter adjustment as the oval shaped opening is very small in the early GTO series (64-67) in 1968 and up GM enlarged the opening in the console for 4 speed A body cars as a cure for these type issues.

Last edited by Peter Serio; 06-06-2019 at 04:40 PM. Reason: spelling.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:49 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks that was very informative..so your saying to cut the carpet out where the console lays with about an 1” overlap. Then remove the padding back to the edge of the console t’hen tighten it down. I haven’t had the carpet up so I hope there is padding, also how do you seal around the shifter hole. I don’t guess the rubber boot I removed will fit.
Neil

Old 06-06-2019, 05:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Peter is dead-on the money here. Have owned and parted many '65-'66 GTO's, and the carpet is exactly as described. These cars were 10-12 years old when I was plucking parts, and all were original carpets and components. The '64-'67 console leaves zero room for shifter slop......The usual fault is not being able to get it into reverse gear with the console bolted in place. Good luck.

Old 06-06-2019, 05:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pete is right on the carpet bit. My 1st GTO's carpet was relief cut under the console. The carpet in the GTO I now have isn't and it does make a difference on how the console sits. The bulges in the carpet under the console do let it sit as it should. I've not cut the carpet in this as I have planned on installing a new one and doing it the correct way.... relief cut. Finally this year it will happen, along with the correct 66 bucket seat covers from Legendary.

Thanks Pete for bringing this up. It brought back memories of long ago when I totaled the car and parted it out.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hard to describe in words, but the cutout is 100% hidden by the console footprint. So error on the side of caution when you start cutting. There should be a flap of carpet "inboard" of the skirting so that the carpet runs right up to and underneath the console. Where the plastic sides press down remove the jute from underneath the carpet (along that line) so the edge presses down the carpet right snug to the tar paper. Or close. Maybe someone can post a photo of some used original console carpet. The problem is no reproduction carpet I have ever seen for a GM A body mid-1960s comes pre-trimmed for a bucket seat console option car. They only make that carpet one way & it comes full over the hump as well as glue covered entirely underneath with a fluffy layer of 1" or 1 & 1/4" thick jute. You need to remove the jute padding all the way along the press line so the console fits right. It's too bad none of these big parts ever come with any instructions.

The side of the steel formed porch on the floor which is a separate screwed-on piece is covered with carpet up the one side but no jute. The shifter boot attaches via 2 screws and a ring retainer directly to the top of that porch. There should be a drawing of that in the "GTO Restoration Guide." I am sure our host has that book available.

Last edited by Peter Serio; 06-06-2019 at 06:08 PM. Reason: added one bit of info