Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 03-05-2022, 12:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Posting pictures

Now that Cliff has his picture issue solved, I could use some help.

Procedure I am currently using:

(1) take picture with iphone
(2) upload to my computer
(3) view with "windows viewer" and rotate as necessary
(4) copy to "Photoshop", crop, and edit resolution
(5) upload to my website
(6) use the "insert image" icon, and copy to this site

The picture will appear upright on my website. On this one it may appear upside down, or standing on its end; or if I am lucky, and the moon and sun align, it MAY appear right side up.

Going back to my computer, then 3, 4, 5, and 6 above. Rotating in the direction one would think would get it right side up.

The image when copied to this site, the image MAY change, it may not change, and if it does change, it may end up upside down.

I don't seem to have this issue on other sites.

Operating system is Windows 7 Professional.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 03-05-2022, 12:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In your step 4., run a test "with" and "without" cropping an image after you rotate to correct the orientation.

It is my understanding that cropping will "re-set" the orientation tag in the image file (EXIF) that messes with display on this website.

If cropping fixes the orientation problem, then you can get in the habit of ALWAYS cropping a little after you rotate. Doesn't take much... just change the size a little.

Mike

Old 03-05-2022, 01:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So I should crop first then rotate?

I used to do both the rotation and cropping in Photoshop, which messed up on another forum.

Will try a couple of ways, and test.

Thanks

Jon

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 03-05-2022, 03:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rotate first, then crop and save.

As I understand (maintain healthy skepticism), the image file has an embedded tag that doesn't change when the image is rotated. I think cropping and saving "re-sets" that tag.

But I do know that rotating, then cropping a little, then saving ends where I want to get. I use the "Photos" app in Windows 10. Photoshop might behave differently. It's a powerful program so may have a lot of "options" that I don't see with "Photos".

Old 03-05-2022, 04:13 PM
Senior Chief

Irfranview is a free editor that is simple to use and will do all the tasks you need for posting. It's advertisement free and they don't bug you to update.

I use it to blow up pics and increase detail in classified ads as well as resizing and changing resolution for posting on the internet. Quicker than Photoshop for simple work.

https://www.irfanview.com/

Old 03-05-2022, 06:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I’m not complaining, , but this is the only website that I have problems with my pictures rotating on their own with my iPhone .

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 08-24-2022, 10:32 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Using Windows 7 in 2022 could be a problem but I digress...lol

So if the picture is already the correct orientation (on my puter) then all I have to do is re-crop and save it?

Or do I have to (sit and) rotate it upside down then crop/save/upload?

Thanks