Old 06-13-2023, 08:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Volt meter problem

I am installing an autometer volt gauge. Never had one before. Came with the temp and oil gauges.
Question,
The ground I attached to the dash. I should I put the ground somewhere else? Does it need to be to the frame? Second question, where do I put the positive wire in the fuse box? It is the original 1966 fuse box. I hope someone can help me. I feel a little silly asking the question. But I still need your help.
Thanks
FB66

Old 06-13-2023, 09:30 PM

First of all there are no silly questions. A good ground is good where ever it is. Find a convenient spot. Then check it with your DVM ( digital voltmeter). Using the ohms setting on the lowest setting, place one test lead on your ground point and the other test lead on the battery negative. The reading should be very small. The positive can go the a switched spot on the fuse block. Again, with the DVM, change the setting to DCV. Place the black test lead on the battery negative (or good ground). Put the red test lead on the fuse block connector. Now turn the ignition key on to find 12v and then off to make sure it goes off. Good luck.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shifty For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2023, 09:38 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty View Post
First of all there are no silly questions. A good ground is good where ever it is. Find a convenient spot. Then check it with your DVM ( digital voltmeter). Using the ohms setting on the lowest setting, place one test lead on your ground point and the other test lead on the battery negative. The reading should be very small. The positive can go the a switched spot on the fuse block. Again, with the DVM, change the setting to DCV. Place the black test lead on the battery negative (or good ground). Put the red test lead on the fuse block connector. Now turn the ignition key on to find 12v and then off to make sure it goes off. Good luck.

What is the "switched spot"?
I am using the original fuse box.
Thanks
FB66

Old 06-14-2023, 01:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

He means any spot that has +12vdc with the switch on as opposed to a spot that has voltage all the time.

Old 06-14-2023, 04:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks Greg!

Old 06-22-2023, 04:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you find the wrong spot to measure voltage the gauge needle will wag like a tail of a puppy that's happy to see you when you use the turn signal. Just try another spot.