THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-01-2023, 10:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Very interesting Hagerty Drivers Club mag cover shot

Haven't read it yet

Sent from my moto g stylus (2021) using Tapatalk

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2023, 12:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting comparison, Looking forward to reading it. Thanks for posting it!

78 Catlina Safari, Pontiac 400 powered
77 Astre Formula, 215 Buick V-8 T-5
73 Lemans Safari, 400 4bbl 4-speed
71 Catalina Enforcer, 455 4bbl
06 Mallet Solstice #024 LS2, Now with a Tremec 6060 6-speed!
2012 F-150 Echo Boost (My local Ford Dealer SUX!!!)
2020 Dodge Charger Scat pack (recovered)
Old 07-01-2023, 01:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, I just read it and don't expect too much as far as a head-to-head comparison. They kind of own up to the fact that it's a bit of a stretch to compare this apple to that orange but it was just something that they thought would be fun to do. Some good photos and it focuses on the differences as much as anything.
... And of course the author makes the fatal mistake of calling the 455 SD a 'big block'..
Still, all in all is fun to see the Pontiac getting some love.

The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2023, 01:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Well, I just read it and don't expect too much as far as a head-to-head comparison. They kind of own up to the fact that it's a bit of a stretch to compare this apple to that orange but it was just something that they thought would be fun to do. Some good photos and it focuses on the differences as much as anything.
... And of course the author makes the fatal mistake of calling the 455 SD a 'big block'..
I haven't received my copy yet. I guess the Pontiac is a "big Block" compared to that tiny 165 cubic inch Porsche. Looking through my crystal ball I imagine they had to mention the horrible quality control and fit and finish on the Pontiac. Also the overall bulk, terrible brakes and gas guzzling engine. Gaudy graphics, loud exhaust and cheap switch gear. How did I do? On the Porsche side, super high quality materials, free reving sweet sounding engine, silky smooth gearbox. World class fit and finish, great brakes and handling but a little tricky at the limits. Did I miss anything?

Old 07-01-2023, 01:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hagerty’s media is getting better and better lately.

Old 07-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
I haven't received my copy yet. I guess the Pontiac is a "big Block" compared to that tiny 165 cubic inch Porsche. Looking through my crystal ball I imagine they had to mention the horrible quality control and fit and finish on the Pontiac. Also the overall bulk, terrible brakes and gas guzzling engine. Gaudy graphics, loud exhaust and cheap switch gear. How did I do? On the Porsche side, super high quality materials, free reving sweet sounding engine, silky smooth gearbox. World class fit and finish, great brakes and handling but a little tricky at the limits. Did I miss anything?
No, they were quite complimentary of both cars actually. They referred to GM as fearless in those days starting with the GTO and make reference to a dedicated group of engineers sneaking the SD platform past the GM "fun censors".
It refers also to the SD being the end of an era of performance for GM and the Carrera being the beginning of a similar era for Porsche... That kind of stuff.
Probably can't read this but I'll put it out there. Closest thing to a performance comparison in the piece..

Last edited by Greg Reid; 07-01-2023 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-01-2023, 06:42 PM
Senior Chief

I liked the article, I almost didn't notice there was a Porsche, in the picture, LOL. They usually do like the "exotic" cars more but that keeps it interesting. Overall, I like their magazine. I am not interested in those kinds of cars but sometimes, I don't mind reading about them. The T/A is awesome.

Old 07-01-2023, 06:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't read them from cover to cover but I can always find something of interest to read in their magazines. Usually several things.

Old 07-01-2023, 07:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I don't read them from cover to cover but I can always find something of interest to read in their magazines. Usually several things.
Same here. I very much like the wide variety of cars and topics they cover. Interesting stuff, good writing for the most part, and great photography.

Old 07-01-2023, 08:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
No, they were quite complimentary of both cars actually. They referred to GM as fearless in those days starting with the GTO and make reference to a dedicated group of engineers sneaking the SD platform past the GM "fun censors".
It refers also to the SD being the end of an era of performance for GM and the Carrera being the beginning of a similar era for Porsche... That kind of stuff.
Probably can't read this but I'll put it out there. Closest thing to a performance comparison in the piece..

I am genuinely happy to hear that. Looking forward to getting my issue of the magazine. Not the typical rehash of these type comparisons then. That's a breath of fresh air.

Old 07-01-2023, 09:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Greg.
Are the pictures from 1973 ?
or modern day pictures of restored cars ?

Old 07-01-2023, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1973 Porsche 911 Carrera RS 2.7 Touring

SPECIFICATIONS:
Engine 164.0-cu-in/2687cc SOHC flat-6, Bosch mechanical fuel injection Power and torque DIN 210 hp @ 6300 rpm, 188 lb-ft @ 5100 rpm Drivetrain 5-speed manual RWD Brakes front: vented disc, rear: vented disc Suspension front: struts, torsion bars, anti-roll bar; rear: semi-trailing arm, torsion bars, anti-roll bar Dimensions L: 162.5 in, W: 65.0 in, H: 52.0 in Weight 2450 lb Performance 0-60 mph: 5.8 sec, quarter mile: 14.5 sec @ 90 mph (Autocar, May 1973) Price when new $14,000

Above are the basic specs. for the Porsche in the comparison/profile. At only 2450 lbs. It should be a fun, quick car.

Old 07-01-2023, 09:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is the current value of the Porsche listed as 600k - 900k ? ?

Old 07-01-2023, 09:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Havent received mine yet. I had the SD out Thursday pm.

Old 07-01-2023, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Modern pics BVZ. The two owners made the cars available for the photo shoot, provided information on the cars, etc.
Porsche value in #2 condition $629k to $858k. Trans Am #3 condition is valued at $150.7k to $178k.

The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2023, 12:25 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
You know it just dawned on me that despite the thousands of people who refer to any Pontiac bigger than a 400 as a “big block”, you never once hear anybody call a 400 or under a “Pontiac small block”. I think I’ll start telling people at car shows that my 457 is just a bored and stroked 265, and have my phone ready to video the perplexed look on their faces as they try to do the math.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Following User Says Thank You to Vid For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2023, 05:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Cool comparison. Wish auto mags would do more of that type of article.

In case you missed it here's one from 'back in the day' that I posted a while back;

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=857965

1974 Trans Am, 400 4-speed, 3.42 rear.

The Following User Says Thank You to pontiacstogo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2023, 07:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had not seen that before. Very interesting opinion coming from an outside source.

Old 07-02-2023, 09:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just received the magazine a couple days ago. Cool article. I absolutely love the red interior on the white exterior. Beautiful TA!

Spotts Built 484" IA2, Highports, EFI Northwind
Terminator X sequential EFI fabrication and suspension by
https://www.funkhouserracecars.com/
Old 07-02-2023, 10:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

4-speed '73 SD in white with a red interior and blue decals... That's hard to beat. I like the term they used on one of the photo spreads.. A German Featherweight / An American Meat-Eater