PDA

View Full Version : NHRA master cutoff switch

BVR421
11-08-2004, 01:11 PM
Questions for anyone who has done this or may have better electrical training than me. (likely to include many)
OK, I have to kill this motor when the fender switch is off. I am using a 10SI internal reg alt. with BAT terminal connected to the starter stud with a 24" piece of #8 wire. To interupt the field wire, I could replace a perfectly good $30 SPST master with a new $80 DPDT master switch but I dont like that idea,
My plan is to run the alt field (2) wire back to the trunk battery. I dont want a hot field wire running thru the car when all other hot circuts are cut off so I plan to use a relay at the battery end to interupt the field wire, the relay powered by the -on- side of the master cutoff switch. If Im thinking this thru correctly, the alt should not be able to feedback to power ignition when the master switch is off?
questions, what does the alt warning light wire (#1) do besides light the alt idiot light? does it have a sense function necessary for proper charging functions or can I just choose to not connect it at all?
Another question, rather than doing the above described field trip to the trunk battery with a relay, and in the interest of simplicity, could I just run a 5" long field wire direct to the bat terminal on the alt, interupted by a big fat diode (rectifier)? Would this accomplish the same safety concerns and requirements?
This car will never see the street again so any usual concerns with looms and existing wiring are not needed, the wiring is basic and direct.

BVR421
11-08-2004, 01:11 PM
Questions for anyone who has done this or may have better electrical training than me. (likely to include many)
OK, I have to kill this motor when the fender switch is off. I am using a 10SI internal reg alt. with BAT terminal connected to the starter stud with a 24" piece of #8 wire. To interupt the field wire, I could replace a perfectly good $30 SPST master with a new $80 DPDT master switch but I dont like that idea,
My plan is to run the alt field (2) wire back to the trunk battery. I dont want a hot field wire running thru the car when all other hot circuts are cut off so I plan to use a relay at the battery end to interupt the field wire, the relay powered by the -on- side of the master cutoff switch. If Im thinking this thru correctly, the alt should not be able to feedback to power ignition when the master switch is off?
questions, what does the alt warning light wire (#1) do besides light the alt idiot light? does it have a sense function necessary for proper charging functions or can I just choose to not connect it at all?
Another question, rather than doing the above described field trip to the trunk battery with a relay, and in the interest of simplicity, could I just run a 5" long field wire direct to the bat terminal on the alt, interupted by a big fat diode (rectifier)? Would this accomplish the same safety concerns and requirements?
This car will never see the street again so any usual concerns with looms and existing wiring are not needed, the wiring is basic and direct.

Jack Ferris
11-08-2004, 02:19 PM
Rich,
If you can send me a fax # I'll fax you a wiring diagram. Ifyou cant email me your address and I'll slip it in the mail for you.

BVR421
11-08-2004, 02:33 PM
thanks Jack you have mail

maybe Ill crosspost this to electrical section and see if electric George has some ideas

BVR421
11-17-2004, 06:20 PM
thanks to EMD201, Jack Ferris, George Kujanski, Jim Hand for help with this problem. For the sake of simplicity I was overcomplicating the layout. After gaining a clearer picture of how the alt works from electric George and jackFerris, I chose to break the field wire with a mechanical switch as suggested by JHand http://home.comcast.net/~69bird3/jhandracing19.htm
who also refered me to Speedway Motors for the best price on a STDP master switch.
speedwayMotors.com
It was nearly $50 -LESS- than the same one from PainlessWiring minus the decal.
It all works and the little project was -painless- only a few -sparks- from touching a -ferris- metal and the cost did not get out of -HAND-