PDA

View Full Version : G-Body diet - Ken MacNicol

RA462
12-03-2004, 08:17 PM
Lets see if this will work. Ken you asked how the bumbers were coming in 78 Grand Am's post. Here is the front (If picture works). Project got blown out of proportion like alot of the things I do and now I made a entire front clip out of fiberglass. Looks like it will be around 135 lbs. off the front of the car estimating 15 lbs. of mounting brackets. Most of the weight loss was from the bumper. I have yet to make a rear bumper and the bad news is I broke the mold for the front bumper while removing it. I can see why a glass frontend cost like a grand now. This takes alot of work since I have to make a mody of the panel and then make the part also. I have got better with each panel I made. This took just over a month working in my spair time. Project has been stoped for now because I started a frame off restoration on my dad's 67 GTO. I'm not sure if this is worth the effort but I think it will make working on the engine easier. Main reason I did it was it was something I had not done before and I was bored.

Anyone here have a glass frontend and maybe can post some pictures of how it is mounted to the car?

This thing still needs alot of work to finish it.

RA462
12-03-2004, 08:17 PM
Lets see if this will work. Ken you asked how the bumbers were coming in 78 Grand Am's post. Here is the front (If picture works). Project got blown out of proportion like alot of the things I do and now I made a entire front clip out of fiberglass. Looks like it will be around 135 lbs. off the front of the car estimating 15 lbs. of mounting brackets. Most of the weight loss was from the bumper. I have yet to make a rear bumper and the bad news is I broke the mold for the front bumper while removing it. I can see why a glass frontend cost like a grand now. This takes alot of work since I have to make a mody of the panel and then make the part also. I have got better with each panel I made. This took just over a month working in my spair time. Project has been stoped for now because I started a frame off restoration on my dad's 67 GTO. I'm not sure if this is worth the effort but I think it will make working on the engine easier. Main reason I did it was it was something I had not done before and I was bored.

Anyone here have a glass frontend and maybe can post some pictures of how it is mounted to the car?

This thing still needs alot of work to finish it.

screamingchief
12-03-2004, 08:50 PM
I posted some in the past check my previous posts.

78GrandAm
12-04-2004, 12:52 AM
I sure could use a custom glass hood. Nice work.....Mike