PDA

View Full Version : Question for Trans Am Bob . . .

Lloyd-TX
11-24-2004, 11:25 AM
In your topic concerning the IA II / Butler Aluminum Block, you stated that AllPontiac.com is currently "working with" the Butlers. That being so, I was wondering if there might be a possibilty that AllPontiac could help move things along with another Butler project - the replacement Ram Air IV cylinder head.

Given your casting and machining contacts, as well as your expertise and experience in bringing these blocks to market, I thought that you might be able to ove things along on the cylinder head project(s) as well. Jim mentioned to me that the replacement castings would be available in a variety of chamber sizes and casting numbers and all would benefit from the re-designed intake port. I was hoping for a couple of additional things as well - 1) the availability of them being cast in aluminum as well as iron, and 2) the possibilty of having a modern combustion chamber being incorporated.

Just a thought!

Lloyd-TX
11-24-2004, 11:25 AM
In your topic concerning the IA II / Butler Aluminum Block, you stated that AllPontiac.com is currently "working with" the Butlers. That being so, I was wondering if there might be a possibilty that AllPontiac could help move things along with another Butler project - the replacement Ram Air IV cylinder head.

Given your casting and machining contacts, as well as your expertise and experience in bringing these blocks to market, I thought that you might be able to ove things along on the cylinder head project(s) as well. Jim mentioned to me that the replacement castings would be available in a variety of chamber sizes and casting numbers and all would benefit from the re-designed intake port. I was hoping for a couple of additional things as well - 1) the availability of them being cast in aluminum as well as iron, and 2) the possibilty of having a modern combustion chamber being incorporated.

Just a thought!

Skip Fix
11-25-2004, 10:41 AM
Lloyd I think some replacement RAIV heads would great for some street strip cars and would even think about a set myself BUT I have mixed thoughts on casting numbers, casting dates, the same on their HO/RAIV intake.I'll start with the comment I'm not a numbers matching kind of car hobbyist, got to look good and go fast. Seems like making a fake clone motor would get easier. Kind of like the Chevy guys decking a block and restamping it. Those that do want those original rarer numbers and dates would be alot easier to counterfit for the big $$ they bring.Unless there was an additional casting makr or design that knowledgeable Pontiac guys could tell they were repros.

Robert C.
11-25-2004, 11:33 AM
Are my phones being tapped? Are you the crackling noise I have been hearing?

We are working very close with the Butler Performance Group. I am not at liberty to say anything on this project at this time.

You would not have to worry about any RA IV product or any other product being remade with out a manufacturing mark that can be seen to tell it from the original part by AllPontiac.com

Casting a machined part is an art form and takes experience. Anybody can copy any product. The copy process will always have marks that can be found that come from the original mold. But will never be completely the same. Parting lines of the core boxes are like finger prints. No two core boxes will have the same lines, not unless they were made from the same sticks or the electronic files.

Sticks are the male copies of the part. And can be use to make new molds if they are lost or damaged. The sticks are the master. And must be guarded at all times. Using sticks you can by pass 80 percent of the time it takes to make a mold.

So to answer your question, you can tell a copy. It will look different not unless it was copied from the original sticks.

Skip Fix
11-25-2004, 12:24 PM
I'd LOVE that intake reproed that flows better than the orginal. That was something Jim had mentioned in the final form for those.

Bill Bolin
11-25-2004, 07:22 PM
I'd love to see any aftermarket head made that would have large combustion chambers (110cc or more) for us supercharged guys. I'm not a big fan of dished pistons and couldn't get a piston made that would allow 7.5-8:1 compression with a 72c head. I'm sure other people with 455+ cubic inches would prefer a head other than 6X or the like for their motor. Just a thought, but I've been known to be wrong. http://forums.performanceyears.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif