PDA

View Full Version : UNCHAMFERED OIL HOLES IN CRANK?

bmpmdf
11-10-2004, 12:58 AM
I got a call to check out a 455 a buddy landed today. When I got there, he was taking the main caps off. The engine is just getting to the copper on the thrust bearing forward face, otherwise looked good. Then I looked at the oil hole. No chamfer at all! He doesn't want to pull the rod caps to see what they look like or any thing else in the engine. But I have not ever seen someone have the big journal crank and bearings live without the holes being chamfered. Anyone else?

bmpmdf
11-10-2004, 12:58 AM
I got a call to check out a 455 a buddy landed today. When I got there, he was taking the main caps off. The engine is just getting to the copper on the thrust bearing forward face, otherwise looked good. Then I looked at the oil hole. No chamfer at all! He doesn't want to pull the rod caps to see what they look like or any thing else in the engine. But I have not ever seen someone have the big journal crank and bearings live without the holes being chamfered. Anyone else?

PONTIAC DUDE
11-10-2004, 05:19 AM
FYI: The factory or Crank kit suppliers don't chamfer holes and cranks live for hundred of thousands of miles.
Just info. But a good idea if your have the crank done and prepped. But let them know you want it done.

Mr. P-Body
11-10-2004, 06:49 AM
The thrust face on both sides of most bearings is copper-colored, when new. This is not necessarily an indication of wear. You should measure end-play to be certain.

lugnutt
11-10-2004, 12:49 PM
Byron, a friendly reminder. I tripped over it agian the other day http://forums.performanceyears.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

bmpmdf
11-10-2004, 04:50 PM
Kevin, I sent you an email.