PDA

View Full Version : shocking decision

70 lucerne lemans
11-23-2004, 07:04 AM
Hey guys Im still trying to improve my 60' times,1.868 with a 13.00@104.5.Here is what I have done so far.BMR lower control arms and adj. uppers,pinion angle set to -4*.Air bags in both springs,left side 5 lbs,right side 15 lbs.The above time was on Hoosier 29.5x9x15 radial slicks.I tried a set of the new M/T drag radials last week 275/60/15 and had worse 60' and slower e.t,but it was warmer and more humid.
Ok,heres the question,which shocks to get? ,I see alot of guys like the QA-1 for a street strip car and others recomend the Herb Adams or Summit shocks.The car is a 1970 Lemans,convert.with 462,10" continental converter,3.42 posi 8.5 rear.I drive this car a couple times a week(short distances) and go to the track at least twice a month.I like the ease of adj. with the QA-1,but not the price also which model?The stocker stars or the R series with the 90-10 valving.The Summits and Herb Adams are really cheap,maybe put them on the back and the QA-1 on the front?Anyone running these on their Goat with actual track testing?Thanks for any input.Mark

70 lucerne lemans
11-23-2004, 07:04 AM
Hey guys Im still trying to improve my 60' times,1.868 with a 13.00@104.5.Here is what I have done so far.BMR lower control arms and adj. uppers,pinion angle set to -4*.Air bags in both springs,left side 5 lbs,right side 15 lbs.The above time was on Hoosier 29.5x9x15 radial slicks.I tried a set of the new M/T drag radials last week 275/60/15 and had worse 60' and slower e.t,but it was warmer and more humid.
Ok,heres the question,which shocks to get? ,I see alot of guys like the QA-1 for a street strip car and others recomend the Herb Adams or Summit shocks.The car is a 1970 Lemans,convert.with 462,10" continental converter,3.42 posi 8.5 rear.I drive this car a couple times a week(short distances) and go to the track at least twice a month.I like the ease of adj. with the QA-1,but not the price also which model?The stocker stars or the R series with the 90-10 valving.The Summits and Herb Adams are really cheap,maybe put them on the back and the QA-1 on the front?Anyone running these on their Goat with actual track testing?Thanks for any input.Mark

fasteddy
11-23-2004, 07:46 AM
QA1s are expensive but a very nice product. You get what you pay for. If you have already spent the money for BMRs, why cheap out on the shocks. Just my .02

70 lucerne lemans
11-23-2004, 01:41 PM
Im leaning towards the QA-1 shocks but would like to here some more feedback from guys that use them on the track and street and which ones would be better for my application.Anyone running the race version or stocker stars?Thanks

Brian Baker
11-23-2004, 02:44 PM
I ran the QA-1 stocker stars in the rear of my T/A and they are truly infinately adjustable. Expensive but you get what you pay for, they are a quality shock.

If you haven't one already, I'd also install a rear sway bar on your ride.

Loosen up the front end...remove the sway bar and install some Summit "el cheapo" 3-way adjustable shocks.

Half-Inch Stud
11-23-2004, 03:05 PM
I gots the 1.70 60foot using airbags ( at atmospheric level) in CARGO coil rear springs, 4.10:1, 28"tire, and regular Nitrogen shocks....(that's it) in a Air-Conditioned 68 GTO.

The 68 GTO project in process: I hope to yield 1.60 with best ability of 1.50 60Foots, using the SAME airbags&Cargo coils, but 3.42:1 and 28"...and more HP.

Hope this helps you.

HIS

Half-Inch Stud
11-23-2004, 03:08 PM
Moral of my story: Rely on good springs & transfer geometry, not Shock absorbers, to get the 60foots.

HIS

70 lucerne lemans
11-24-2004, 06:09 AM
Brian,I thought the adjustability was more important on the front shocks,thats why I was thinking QA1 on the front and el cheapos on the rear,also the rears are pretty easy to adj compared to removing the fronts for adj.I already have a sway bar.Im starting to wonder if I just need wider slicks,how wide can I go on a 70 Lemans?

1/2",what size slicks were you running for those 60' times,also what are cargo coils?station wagon springs?

77TA
11-24-2004, 03:10 PM
I got qa1 on the front and Koni road type shocks on the back not the drag shock the car is very consistant on slicks and works good IMO. 1.64 60fts with a a 5 speed at 3955 lbs. Stock springs and sway bars all around just like I drive it on the street. I ran the front shocks 1 click from full soft and the rear one turn from full stiff. I should be in next months Hpp shootout. I hope they got a pic of it pulling the wheels !!

This is on a 77 trans-am but maybe it helps. FYI I have a buddy with a 69 goat that 60 foots in the high 1.69 range with elcheapo front shocks and I think air shocks in the back so to each his own.

Brian Baker
11-24-2004, 03:24 PM
In all honesty, cheapo's at both ends will probably work well.

I can't see spending mega-bucks on front shocks when a 90/10 or 70/30 will do. You want it to come up quickly, and if it's too quick, you can always adjust with a travel limiter, which is also cheap to fabricate.

A 50/50 at the rear is the general rule of thumb, but when I bought my stocker stars, I wanted something "stiff" enough that would keep the rear from squatting on launch, while at the same time being "loose" enough to allow for full and easy extension of the suspension to plant the tires. I was trying to fight a "porposing" effect and these shocks helped.

Half-Inch Stud
11-24-2004, 07:54 PM
Slick sizes were all < 10", and usually 9" or 8".

Old technology slicks except the 11.0 was M/T ET Drags. See signature for diameter.

Other fellas have better data these days. HIS

70 lucerne lemans
12-09-2004, 06:27 AM
well I finally installed the new shocks and tested them at the track,I went with QA1 on the front and summits on the back.I tried just the QA1 last week and really didnt hook any better.I swapped the rears out this week and it made a huge difference.I think alot of my traction issues were caused by my rear shocks that had helper springs on them.With the new shocks it sits lower in the back and really transfers the weight.I ran consistent 1.87 60' last night ,not great but it wasnt spinning,mabe a slight chirp off the line.I only got in 3 runs all 13.02 to 13.04@104 the air was pretty thick last night so I know Im right there with some cooler weather.Now I need to play with the shock adj and maybe the carb squirter.These runs were on M/T drag radials 275/60/15.Thanks for the inpuy guys.

PMDRACER
12-10-2004, 09:51 AM
Has anybody run the Summit 'el-cheapo' 3 way shocks on the street?

I'm asking cause I like driving the '71 to the track, run some 12's and drive home with only changing the tires. Really don't want to get into changing all sorts of stuff at the track.

73LeMans
12-10-2004, 11:23 AM
I run the Summits in all four corners on the street PMD on my 73. Heck, there is more street time on them than track time at this point. (track time is hard to come by) Car drives alright, but I attrinute that more to the 245 size tire and manual steering box than anything else...

Honestly, with no sway bar on the street, the 90/10s in front, it really has a tendancy to dive deep into the corners. Thankfully I seldom hit 50 mph on the streets around here. Takes some real nerves of steel to take it out of straight line on purpose. Foget about panic moves. If you arent gentle, its too easy to overcorrect. (soft sidewall DOT M+H raecmasters dont help!)

When someone first told me "I dont recommend you do that" I figured I could sacrifice the quality, but seriously now, Im thinking about putting in a more manageable shock, or at least putting the sway bar back in. Without it, its just not fun to drive on the street. Its downright scary.

You just never realize how much force is being pushed into that corner until you feel it. I wouldnt go with the 90/10s unless it was only at the track.

grandville455
12-10-2004, 03:13 PM
Hey Bill I run the comp engineering shocks up front set to 90/10 and sway bar on and my big car handles fine with them... http://forums.performanceyears.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.....I put 3500 miles on a year....Plus race her http://forums.performanceyears.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

70 lucerne lemans
12-11-2004, 08:49 AM
It definitly doesnt handle like it did with the stiff gas shocks!It was cornering really level with the new rear sway bar,control arms and poly bushings,now it drives like a 34 year old cadillac.Ive got the rear summits set on light,Im going to play around with the settings this weekend and see how it does,the front QA1 are also set on the lightest setting.The track is having a fun day sunday tomorrow,and its going to be in the 50s with low humidity,sounds good to me.Anyone else in Orlando going?